• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Normal for Norfolk"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-31747012

Andrew Hennells: Doing. Tesco. Over.

"Normal for Norfolk"?

What's the point of commiting a crime if you have to keep it a secret ?

Hennells' error seems to have been his choice of social media. If he'd posted that to MySpace, no-one would have read it, but then see above.

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

Hugh Fatbastard wrote: If he'd posted that to MySpace, no-one would have read it, but then see above.
      I thought Norfolk people posted on MoiSpace?

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

No, that's more likely for the West Country.

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

Or France, eh, what?

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

Kevchenko wrote: No, that's more likely for the West Country.

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

How those long winter evenings must just fly by...

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

I'm picturing Costner's Robin Hood. Is it something like that ?

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

Nah, he was just an East Midlands lad whose accent got mangled by his immensely widespread travelling. If you remember, a day trip to him was a quick jaunt from the White Cliffs of Dover to Nottingham in time for tea, via Hadrian's Wall. On foot.

Norfolk and the West Country do have certain superficial similarities, it's true, without really sounding the same at all. It comes from being the two ends of the Yokel Belt.

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

Velvet Android wrote: Nah, he was just an East Midlands lad whose accent got mangled by his immensely widespread travelling. If you remember, a day trip to him was a quick jaunt from the White Cliffs of Dover to Nottingham in time for tea, via Hadrian's Wall. On foot.

Norfolk and the West Country do have certain superficial similarities, it's true, without really sounding the same at all. It comes from being the two ends of the Yokel Belt.
                    I blame it on the cider.

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

How those long winter evenings must just fly by...

Indeed they do. It's not just my Norfolk accent I'm working on, it's also my Uwe Seeler impersonation. I practise them for an hour each night, then go to my (German) local and order my beer as though I were Uwe Seeler pretending that he comes from Great Yarmouth. It's more time-consuming than you may think.

Norfolk and the West Country do have certain superficial similarities, it's true, without really sounding the same at all.

I'd wager that many people who grew up outside those areas would think they were one and the same.

And if they tried to impersonate either, it would come out as the all-purpose yokel accent that nobody in the world actually has.

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

treibeis wrote: How those long winter evenings must just fly by...

Indeed they do. It's not just my Norfolk accent I'm working on, it's also my Uwe Seeler impersonation. I practise them for an hour each night, then go to my (German) local and order my beer as though I were Uwe Seeler pretending that he comes from Great Yarmouth. It's more time-consuming than you may think.

Norfolk and the West Country do have certain superficial similarities, it's true, without really sounding the same at all.

I'd wager that many people who grew up outside those areas would think they were one and the same.

And if they tried to impersonate either, it would come out as the all-purpose yokel accent that nobody in the world actually has.
                        A decent West Country accent is a difficult one to master.

It has a nasty tendency to segue into "Pirate"…

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

https://www.uea.ac.uk/documents/246509/791965/Norwich+Dialect.pdf/1a51784c-439e-4a31-9d67-55f596af39fb

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

Guy Potger wrote: A decent West Country accent is a difficult one to master.

It has a nasty tendency to segue into "Pirate"…
                            Blame The Wurzels and their indiscriminate 'oo-aar'-ing for that. Fucking arriviste pseuds.

It's idea that inhabitants of the West Country refer to the region's largest city as "Brizzle" that makes me, err, bristle. If anything, it's "Bristaw".

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

"A member of the public had reported seeing a man demanding cash at the Tesco store before he fled to a nearby pub, Norfolk Police said."

Effect and cause, right there!

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

Perhaps an alternative thread title would be "Lynn, take a note"?

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

Partridge isn't Norfolk in any recognisable way though, not to anyone who's spent any time there. For a start, the Lancastrian accent is a bit of a giveaway.

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

evilC wrote: Perhaps an alternative thread title would be "Lynn, take a note"?

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

Kevchenko wrote: https://www.uea.ac.uk/documents/246509/791965/Norwich+Dialect.pdf/1a51784c-439e-4a31-9d67-55f596af39fb
                                      As a child I lived in Devon (Tavistock) for five years, moved up to Liverpool for two, and then to Norfolk (Aylsham) for the next three.

I never quite understood why no-one could understand me after we emigrated to Canada when I was 10 years old.

I think I have it now.

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

Bootiful

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

And there's more. (Although this could go in that other thread as well.)

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

I enjoyed this other Norfolk story which I saw after clicking that link above:

How do you like your tickets? Well done?

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

That's on the bottom of the first page...

Comment

"Normal for Norfolk"?

Oops

Comment

Working...
                                                X