Various reception in shops and what you smell like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stick to one after shave and one deo. I’m lazy that way. I like to keep my... whatever you call that shite over the sink with mirrors on its midget doors which women fill until it almost falls off the wall... I like to keep it clean, simple, easy to get hold of my stuff from. I bloody hate all that midgety packaged stuff. I hate how the packaging is designed with the centre of mass almost always positioned deliberately to annoy you. You so much as glance towards it, it falls over, onto something close-by and a domino effect causes everything to trip over in a mess. That’s if you fill the bastard over the sink. There’s no point in doing so.

One of the great benefits with being single is that, that shite with the midget glass doors is not even half full. When I’ve been single, I can damn near fit my vacuum cleaner in it and there’s still more space to spare. You can very manly Neanderthal throw your whole arm in there, get hold of what you’re after, and nothing else will get in the way. Living with a woman on the other hand, that shite with the fucking mirrors, you will have to clean it every other day because she tells you it’s dirty, because she brushes her teeth almost sitting inside the mirror and she seems to do her make-up twice every time. Once on her face and once on her reflection.
    Where was I?
    Yes, now she’s filled it with stuff of which half I only half recognize and 25% is enigmatic at best. She’s filled it to the point I have to buy bolts they secure suspension bridges with or it will crash like a meteorite through the floor and into the scalp of the neighbour below. And when I want to get to my one after shave and to my one deo, I have to be like bleeding Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. When he switches the bag with sand for the artefact. Or the whole damn inventory inside will rattle all over me. Taking aeons to put back up.

She’s bought me bollocks I never asked for. Qute-sy little bullshit bottles and headache I’d flush down if it wasn’t for the toilet having a tsunami, her feelings being hurt and I don’t flush down crap that shouldn’t go there. Now I’m stood there planning my move before I can get to my after shave and my deo. And I fail at least twice in every one try.

I use Kouros by YSL, by the way. All the way. After shave, deo, that third I don’t even know how it differs from after shave. I’m thinking about switching. But I hate walking into perfume shops/departments. I couldn’t put my finger on why but those ladies (it most often is ladies) give me the creeps. I think I’ve figured it out. They have this look, this manner. Check it out next time you walk into the perfume section at the tax free when you’re transferring flights. The chocolate department, they’re all friendly. The booze, they’re just happy. Probably drunk. The souvenir shop, they’re just tired or bored or both.

But the perfume, they sneak up towards you. They approach you slowly, and measure you like they’re trying to figure out the size of the coffin you’re about to be buried in. They look at you like you’re already dead.

I have this easy, I'm paranosmic. The looks you get from people when you say you can't smell anything range from pity to contempt. It's quite funny really.

That said, TLMG always tells me I smell nice, so I presume I'm doing something right. She chooses my aftershave, too, and given that she's a collector of vintage and hard-to-find perfumes I presume I'm not the victim of some elaborate smell-based practical joke.

Comment

Women, eh lads?

Comment

I can't relate to the rest of it as I have the bathroom windowsill virtually to myself for all the stuff I use. What can I say? You have to work* at boyish good looks.

*I've always been lazy

Comment

Well, if there was no difference at all they would be called men.

Comment

If it's any consolation, I don't feel comfortable in cosmetic and perfume departments either, and I'm sort of their target audience. They always manage to make me feel seriously undergroomed and in the last couple of years, quite old, as they imply how fantastic it is that I'm still bothering, at my age. They're trying to be nice but I hate it.

It wasn't much better when I was in my 20-30s and had far better skin than 90% of them, but they'd still look critical and say "hmmm ..... What sort of moisturiser are you using?" and try to sell me some scary chemical gunk. The occasional good feeling would be if they said something like "you will need to step up your regime when you get into your forties", when I was already nearly 50.

I'm more assertive now so will cut through the complete shit and say, "look, I'm happy with my skin and my choice of lipstick colour, can I please just pay?" and with perfume "I like this, I don't like that.", but generally, I find cosmetic shopping a chore.

Comment

MsD wrote: They always manage to make me feel seriously undergroomed … they're trying to be nice but I hate it.
              They always remind me of "No offence" woman from The Fast Show.

Comment

Yes, that was good observational comedy.

My friend and I were pounced on by a hard sell merchant near Bond Street. He started out complimentary, and we murmured politely, then he pointed out the dark rings under my friend's eyes, to which she snapped "that's because my father's just fucking died and I haven't slept properly for weeks, do you have a cream for that?". He kind of deserved it, they (that particular company*) work by preying on women's insecurities. And it was true, btw.

* They claim their face cream contains diamond dust. If that was true, it would take your skin off, apparently. I tell them this quite frequently as they try to catch me when I walk past.

Comment

As for what I smell like:

+

+

Comment

I'm not getting dragged into this. If Mrs. FB catches wind there won't be any winners.

I do Davidoff Cool Water and Old Spice Denali (shower gel as well - imagine me using it).

Now you know what to get me for Xmas.

Comment

He kind of deserved it, they (that particular company*) work by preying on women's insecurities.
                      As does the entire cosmetics industry, surely.
                      They claim their face cream contains diamond dust
                      Aka coal powder.

Comment

With the whole cosmetic Industry, it's not so personal and literally in your face.

Comment

Sure we've been here before: I don't wear aftershave or deodorant. Soap n water, John.

Dunno about the diamond-based one, but we have abused the Israeli 'Dead Sea mollusc shell' company when it had a pop up in our Fenwick's.

Comment

I think they may be the same company, or related.

Their employees are under a lot of pressure. Forever Flawless.

http://www.foreverflawless.com

http://www.foreverflawless.com/v/vspfiles/whydiamonds.asp

Get the same effect for a fraction of the cost, by having someone step on your head and grind your face into some gravel.

Comment

I use a deodorant that promises 96-hour protection. That's four days. So, depending on which parts of my body I spray it on, I only have to shower twice a week.

Comment

I use Nutella. I have to fight the girls off with a stick.

Comment

Unperfumed deodorant, Floris Limes or Acqua di Parma on the comparatively rare occasions I fancy some scent.

Not wearing deodorant is a Sting thing, isn't it?

Comment

Not wearing deodorant is a Sting thing, isn't it?
                                    Ye callin' me a coont, like..?

Comment

Especially for you.

http://www.liberty.co.uk/fcp/product/liberty/beauty-10%/post-poo%20drops%20100ml%20/82212

Comment

Smelly is not clean.

Clean is not smelly.

Comment

MsD wrote: Especially for you.

http://www.liberty.co.uk/fcp/product/liberty/beauty-10%/post-poo%20drops%20100ml%20/82212
                                          Woah, you can't get away with just that teaser.

Where does one put these drops?

Comment

I smell of me.

And occasionally other stuff, but mainly me.

Halitosis is better than no breath at all.

(Hi TT. Hope you are well.)

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                              Originally posted by MsD
                                              Especially for you.

Woah, you can't get away with just that teaser.

Where does one put these drops?
                                              I spent some time puzzling over the bottle in the Aesop shop today, but it seems you put a few drops in the toilet.

Comment

MsD wrote: I spent some time puzzling over the bottle in the Aesop shop today, but it seems you put a few drops in the toilet.
                                                I leave a box of matches by both toilets in my place. I'd always assumed that was the accepted method for removing bathroom smells.

Comment

That poor innkeep's job in Bethlehem that time must have been a nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X