Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hottest day

That could well be true for Vegas.

It's not hot, but the temperature in Hawaii always messes with my head--it's usually just about the same at night as it is during the day.

Comment

The hottest day

matt j wrote: Daytime heat is sort of expected for me. I lived in Texas for long enough so any summer day under 100F was considered cool. Standard dress required you to be in shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops to walk from class to class, and then have a sweater for sitting inside in the freezing AC.

But, and I have no proof of this, I swear the first time we arrived in Las Vegas it was near midnight and the temperature was still above 100 F. That was insane.
      Sounds about right. On my one visit to Vegas, we arrived late and the electronic signs were still saying 108F.

A little earlier in the same trip it was somewhere close to 120F (almost 49C) at the Hoover Dam. Never been more pleased to get inside a visitor centre.

Comment

The hottest day

I don't know what the hottest I've experienced has been. I've been to Vegas, Florida in the summer, Death Valley, Mexico...

But what I love more than anything is hot at night. I go for long walks when it's hot at night. Like....10 or 11 o'clock, I'm out wandering the streets like a nut.

Comment

The hottest day

This area of Germany often has the mildest weather in winter and the hottest and stickiest summers. Last August was unpleasant, the temperature was over 30 degrees a lot and up around 37-38 for a few days. Luckily, we've got a cellar we can escape to here but the office is a different matter. There is no air-conditioning at SAP (well, apartfrom in the boardrooms...) and for years I worked in a south-facing office in a 1980s building. Cramped office, 4 people & 4 PCs, the sweat was running down my arms and dripping onto the desk as I typed and someone told me it was 38 degrees that day. Anyway, I declared ita hitzefrei day and walked off to the pub .

Comment

The hottest day

But what I love more than anything is hot at night. I go for long walks when it's hot at night. Like....10 or 11 o'clock, I'm out wandering the streets like a nut.
            I'm with you. nothing better than a log stroll with an audiobook as the sun goes down and into the night, while still in shorts and tshirt.

Comment

The hottest day

Rightness, indeed. As I've always suspected.

Comment

The hottest day

I flew into Cape Town on Tuesday morning, and the fires burning on the Cape were horrible and spectacular. The whole of the basin was filling with smoke, too.

It was hot, but we didn't stay in town. We drove inland a bit to Swellendam (to celebrate our anniversary as we got married here). It was also about 40 degrees, but might be a lot dryer than CPT itself. The funny thing was that I now quite enjoy the very hot days as long as (a) it's a dry heat; and (b) I don't have to actually do any work. I like being immersed in 100+F/40C. I think spending enough time in the California desert cities helps.

One consequence of the fires is that I was meant to be riding the massive Cape Cycle Tour thingy, with 35000 other people, on Sunday, and they've curtailed it dramatically - I'm hugely disappointed not to be allowed over Chapmans Peak with no cars on the road (particularly after 6000 odd miles and 20 odd hours in the air), but the whole area looks a mess and it makes sense.

Comment

The hottest day

In the mid-80s I had a job cleaning out a burned-out upstairs apartment in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. It was in July and I remember miserably looking across the street at the Savings and Loan time and temp clock going up to 116 (46 F).

In the summer of 1980, my U-19 team played warmup games before Tulsa Roughneck games at Skelly Stadium. They had a big thermometer on the pitch and it was regularly at around 120 (48 F). Our games started at 6:30 pm and most of the field was in the shade.

I don't miss Oklahoma summers.

Comment

The hottest day

My degree ceremony was on what was then the hottest day recorded in the UK. It was not the best of conditions in which to be wearing a suit and then adding a big heavy gown over the top.

Comment

Working...
                    X