X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£230 for a Cornish pasty ...

..and it lost!

Mr Shaw's pasty used wagyu beef flown in from Japan, peppercorns from India and potatoes from Illinois, US.
    Fuck off. That's not a proper pasty.

Comment

I thought that the point of a pie was to disguise the fact that you were eating offal.

Comment

Errm, I suspect Mr Shaw failed to pick up a prize on account of, rather than "despite" producing a pasty costing £230.

What a bloody stupid concept he had there. Apart from the ridiculous unaffordability and ostentatious pretension, the food miles aspect makes it so environmentally damaging it'd probably be a favourite food of Welsh Green Party leader Pippa Bartolotti.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: I thought that the point of a pie was to disguise the fact that you were eating offal.
          And conversely, it is going to make really high quality ingredients feel slightly greasy and offal-like. Making flying the best beef in the world over from wherever completely pointless.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Errm, I suspect Mr Shaw failed to pick up a prize on account of, rather than "despite" producing a pasty costing £230.

What a bloody stupid concept he had there. Apart from the ridiculous unaffordability and ostentatious pretension, the food miles aspect makes it so environmentally damaging it'd probably be a favourite food of Welsh Green Party leader Pippa Bartolotti.
            I agree. The furthest any ingredient of a Cornish pasty should travel is the distance Farmer Trengrouse walked before they scraped the swede off his gumboots and threw it in the mixer.

Comment

A significant volume of what is marketed as "Wagyu Beef" in this country is not quite offal, but does come from cows that have never seen Japan.

"Counterfeiting" of this sort is becoming a thing over here, particularly with regard to the types of menu items that are there only to appeal to devotees of extremely conspicuous consumption.

Of which my favourite (as a concept) is the aptly named Douche Burger

Comment

A large contingent of Cornishmen (along with Finns from Minnesota) emigrated to Michigan in the 1800's to mine the iron ore and copper. And to this day, in the Upper Peninsula, Pasties are to be found in most town in the UP. Great they are. Each summer on my way to Wisconsin would stop in Dobbers in Iron Mountain and fill up the cooler with them

Comment

Working...
                X