Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They fuck you up, your brothers and sisters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toby Gymshorts wrote: My sister once put my head through a window by throwing a beach ball at it. Oh, and she was the direct cause of me being badly concussed by a falling record player.
    Was it your record player?

Comment

It was our record player, yeah. An old Dansette which lived on top of the wardrobe.

Comment

When I was two years Old, I tried to beat my six week old sister to death with a pair of new shoes. Small kids are direct clear thinking problem solvers.

Comment

WOM wrote: I'd imagine my sister would have a lot to contribute to this thread. I was never much arsed with her either way, but she's had a low-level hate going since we were probably ten years old. I'm the first born. I'm 'Mr Perfect'. I've had one (ongoing) marriage where she's had two failed ones. I've got kids and she doesn't. etc etc. She was rebellious and troublesome where I was low-key and unexciting. No matter what I do, it's perceived as doing it to her in some way.

Who knows? Maybe you need someone to blame, and I'm it.
          I don't know your sister, obv., so she may well regard her marriages as "failed" and her lack of children as a source of great unhappiness, but it does make me bristle a bit to see ended relationships automatically regarded as "failures". It's a bit of an old fashioned view.

It's lovely when people have long and happy marriages, but it's not for everyone. I wouldn't swap with my long-married sister, nice as her husband is, the kids/grandkids are.

Comment

Yes, you're right of course. However, I know my sister wanted kids, so I'm pretty sure she's disappointed in that regard. And I know how she talks about being 'alone', so I know she'd rather be with someone than not.

Her first marriage was fine. Nice guy, lasted a fair number of years. And fell apart for all the right reasons. But her second was, by any measure, a failure. He was a loser from every angle, and a blind man could see it a mile away. I wrote to her twice to outline the case (in detail, with illustrations and footnotes) for why she shouldn't marry him, and both times I was rebuffed. He packed up and left her 16 months after the wedding. It was a failure.

But yes, my language was inelegant and (maybe just a bit) judging.

Comment

WOM wrote: I wrote to her twice to outline the case (in detail, with illustrations and footnotes) for why she shouldn't marry him, and both times I was rebuffed.
              You're kidding, right?

Comment

Nope. It was one of those rare situations where I said to myself "If I don't say something now, and it goes badly, I'll always regret it." So I sent her an email (which she didn't acknowledge). I then sent her a letter. I told her she was too good for him, and that he was a loafer and a loser and sponge, and that he wouldn't give her the kids she wanted, and that he'd eventually walk out on her, and that she could do worlds better.

She politely told me to go fuck myself and mind my own business. So I did. I went to the wedding. Welcomed him to the family. Made peace with 'them', and then he walked out on her just after their first anniversary. She was devastated and likely has never fully recovered from the humiliation she felt. She even had my mother deliver the news after she left the country on a two-week vacation.

Comment

To add insult to injury, 6 or 8 of his relatives performed a song at the wedding to the tune of La Vida Loca called Living La Vida Broke-A. All the lyrics were about him sitting on a couch all day, or playing golf, and sponging off women and living in my parents basement.

Comment

Canadian weddings must be wild affairs.

Comment

That's funny. It just is.

It's a shame if she's still upset. I wouldn't be humiliated by it, his shortcomings aren't her fault, and sometimes the most successful people reveal a darker side after the wedding. You can't really help who you fall in love with and can't judge them dispassionately; you're in love, and they're presenting their best side (although to be fair, it doesn't seem like this guy was working too hard on that). It was more of a lucky escape than a failure.

Comment

It's funny in hindsight, for sure. And it's a lucky escape in that he signed over his half-interest in their new house and walked away without asking for a cent. He just wanted to get on with his new girlfriend as quickly as he could. He could have been draining my sister's finances for years to come if he'd had a mind to.

The shame of it was that she could have seen it if she'd wanted to. She's an obstinate person, and as soon as the first person expressed concern (not me), she doubled down on him.

Comment

The eldest of 4, I have a dint in my left big toe where one of my brothers threw a dart in it and had 16 stitches in my left eyebrow where my other brother threw a brick at me (he said "accidentally"). As the oldest and biggest of the family, I made sure that revenge was had by giving them a good beating up when mum and dad weren't around (and when our Daz ran home to tell on me, he got a clip around the ear from my mum for being a snitch).

They are all still in Leicester and we meet up sporadically. We aren't in each others pockets but are always there for each other when needed.

Comment

Pat McGatt wrote: Canadian weddings must be wild affairs.
                            One of the few weddings I’ve ever attended here was in a small town in near Hanover. An ex-girlfriend’s ex-classmate was getting hitched to the local heart-throb who’d ‘conquered’ most of the women his age and had finally been tamed by said ex-classmate.

One of the party pieces was a local band, also made up of former classmates and called something like “Apple Pie”, performing self-penned songs about the groom and his previous conquests – many of whom were in attendance. One left the party, one burst into tears. The bride wasn’t over-enamoured by the whole thing, either.

They also had the piss-awful tradition of “kidnapping the bride”, which sees special guests whisking the bride away for up to hours at a time. I’m not sure whether the groom has to go and find her or not. It often fucks up the entire proceedings, particularly if she’s absent for too long.

I’ve heard (probably apocryphal) stories about kidnapped brides and kidnappers getting off their face and then, in a spontaneous attack of the Stockholm Syndromes, having it off together in an hourly-rate hotel room.

Comment

Pah, lightweights.
                              Travellers know how to do weddings.

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0211/67943...nagh-shooting/

I'm intrigued now about WOM's illustrations.

Comment

The priest's quotes are mental in that piece.

Comment

Calvert wrote: I'm intrigued now about WOM's illustrations.
                                  I made that bit up to impress people. I wish now I'd done it. "Here's him sitting on a couch. Here's him watching TV. Here's him golfing. Here's him fishing. Sorry I couldn't do one of him working; I've never seen it." Etc.

Comment

One time, he claimed he didn't want to 'get stuck into' a new job because next summer him and a friend were getting the territory for some cockamamie 'franchise' that sold GPS units to golf courses, and there was going to be a training session they needed to attend. You can guess what became of that whole enterprise.

Comment

Could be much worse, she could have married Mark E. Smith.

Comment

Wouldn't have had to change the monogram on the hand-towels, though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X