"Aren't they sweet?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Aren't they sweet?"

If they killed a few more Magpies or Crows I'd be happy. They only really pick on the little ones, many of the pretty sounding ones.

I love them but they're gits and there's too many of them.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

The vast majority of pet cats are neutered. The Cat Protection League get all their cats neutered as a matter of course, or require any adopters to get that done if it hasn't been done already. I think almost everyone is on the same page on that issue.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

Then where are all these homeless cats and kittens coming from? There are several entire toms around here and many people think it's "cruel" or "unnatural" to neuter them. Many people think you should let a queen have at least one litter.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

I'm most opposed to commercial breeding and the fashion for "exotic" breeds. All cats are exotic.

I know it's policy with welfare and rescue organisations but public awareness needs to change.

I meet a lot of unneutered dogs when I'm walking my friend's two. Apparently men don't like to emasculate their dogs. At least people clean up dog shit now, that took a while but it's happened.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

Sod it.

I'm not typing all that again!

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

Then where are all these homeless cats and kittens coming from
              Mainly from other homeless cats I would wager, as well as from the small proportion of pet cats owned by non-neuterers. It's highly likely there's a sex asymmetry there: some people who aren't "with the programme" might be tempted to keep an unneutered female cat as a pet, but it must be very rare for anyone to tolerate an unneutered tom as a pet, given the stench of their sexually-motivated urine spraying, which could easily extend to indoors.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

Not necessarily; there was a stramash on Sinead O'Connor's page the other week when she said she was letting her cat have kittens, against the wishes of the neutering "Nazis", and a depressing number of people agreed, they said they'd like their cat to experience motherhood and would make sure the kittens went to good homes. As if you can know that.

And a friend was given a breeding pair of Somalians*
                , with the intention that she could make some money out of them, as a thoughtful present from a rich friend (let's call her "Jade").

It's these wellmeaning but ignorant people that need to be brought into "the programme".

Edit: * Cats! Somalian cats!

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

Luke R wrote: If they killed a few more Magpies or Crows I'd be happy. They only really pick on the little ones, many of the pretty sounding ones.

Sunderland fan?

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: The vast majority of pet cats are neutered. The Cat Protection League get all their cats neutered as a matter of course, or require any adopters to get that done if it hasn't been done already. I think almost everyone is on the same page on that issue.
                    My one wasn't. Which meant, as a whole male, he went wandering is search of females and got lost from his original home. Given he is very well habituated to humans, whoever originally had him must have been pretty upset when he disappeared. Their own stupid fault for not neutering him.
                    He was starving and had an abscess on his head from a fighting wound that had got infected when he was rescued and handed to the animal shelter. Without that, like 90% of strays and abandoned domestic cats, he would have perished. Obviously the animal shleter neutered him before allowing him to be re-homed.

He has a collar with a bell. But we can't keep him indoors only. Tried it initially, and he was clearly getting stressed by it. Converting cats used to ranging outdoors to being housecats in later life really isn't possible. Unfortunately he went stray quite young so has decent hunting skills. But that also means he eats most of what he kills. And despite the bell, he still does kill pretty prolifically.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

Luke R wrote: If they killed a few more Magpies or Crows I'd be happy. They only really pick on the little ones, many of the pretty sounding ones.

The last sentence is true. And not just for the sake of wildlife, but for Cats own welfare as well.

Oh, and you can also throw in that most domestic cats wouldn't take a rat on. Mice yes, but few know how to handle rats. Presumably the same issue holds with Magpies and Crows, those are just too big and equipped to fight back.

Luke will be pleased to here that my beast seems to have a preference for pigeons as opposed to songbirds.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

"Wrens? Nah, noisy little fuckers, and they're all crunch. Gimme a pigeon, proper bird, worth the trouble."

I seem to have woken up very sweary today, although that last is in character.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

Anyway, to lighten the mood, here are my current team:

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

How much do cats actually kill

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

Guy Potger wrote:
                              Originally posted by Luke R
                              If they killed a few more Magpies or Crows I'd be happy. They only really pick on the little ones, many of the pretty sounding ones.

Sunderland fan?
                              Speaking of which, whatever happened to "Tommy Sunderland: Newcastle fan"? I liked him.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

That looks like propaganda spread by cats!

We're murdery, we're murdery, and that's the way we like it. Yeh, don't fuck with us, Mr Fox.

Any of my cats would LOVE that sort of success rate.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

Janik wrote:
                                  Originally posted by linus
                                  A cat's life is far less important than that of the dozens of wild birds it will kill in its lifetime.
                                  And the wild birds are far less important than the dozen of worms/other birds/whatever that those will also kill.

Rating some creatures lives as more important than others is moronic.
                                  No.

Wild birds are an integral part of the ecosystem, and as such they play an important role in, for instance, regulating the number of harmful bugs, or spreading the seeds of trees and plants. This is particularly important in times where global warming is further straining the environment, the decline in wild birds numbers further compounds the damage of ecosystem degradation.

In my neck of the woods, domestic and feral cats prey on bats, which have a major role in naturally regulating the number of mosquitos and other harmful insects (they actually take out a phenomenal amount).

So the lives of creatures that are a natural part of the ecosystem and which contribute to its health are indeed much more important than that of artificially introduced species like cats, an invasive species that actually harm and destroy the ecosystem.

In Europe or N. America, bobcats or lynx occupy the space that domesticated cats encroach upon, and they, along with other predators, would kill feral or stray cats, but the population density of bobcats or lynx is far smaller, and their natural range very large (at least a dozen square kilometer per feline). Cats are in such huge and unnatural numbers that they overwhelm ecosystems.

In addition to killing literally billions of birds and other creatures that are important and integral parts of the ecosystem, cats also degrade the environment as important vectors for parasitic and viral diseases.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

We have with us a representative of the cat community to answer these very serious allegations.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

So we need more bobcats and lynxes?

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

MsD wrote: We have with us a representative of the cat community to answer these very serious allegations.

'Well, that Linus is an absolute tool and any one of my nine lives is worth more than his. '

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

Ha. No, Milly is like a feline Lisa Simpson, very sensible and intelligent, and I'm sure she would support positive and responsible measures to limit population, whilst refuting the more lurid allegations. She would point out the positive contributions cats make to society, and to human health, as companions and mice wardens.

Stroking a cat reduces hypertension, for example.

Thanks Milly, and no, we don't need the drop down presentation screen just yet.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

I just couldn't believe how different they can be, personality-wise. I'd never had pussycats until about 3 years ago and assumed them to be similar. How wrong can you be?
                                            Our Ted is a stone-cold killer, whose body count has thankfully decreased markedly over the winter and our Dougal hasn't killed anything other than the odd moth.

They're amazing and I'd personally amputate the limbs of any cunt who was cruel to them.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

MsD wrote: We have with us a representative of the cat community to answer these very serious allegations.

that is a very handsome cat.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

You mean you'd think twice before shoving her in a bag with some bricks :-)

Thank you. My old Billy, the Love of My Life, was handsome and distinguished in a very different way, with a very different personality.

My foster cat is more glamorous in a comical, continental Errol Flynn sort of way )and is eyeballing me now). Actually he reminds me of my ex husband. I can't imagine him ever catching a mouse or a bird.

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

Our pair of Abyssinians - our second pair - are purely house cats but get supervised outdoors.

They don't seem the worse for it.

And here is a gratuitous photo of Perry, our three-legged female (born without rather than lost after birth).

Seen with her favourite toy that she often carries down the stairs and presents us with (very dog-like).

Comment

"Aren't they sweet?"

http://theoatmeal.com/misc/frame/cat_kill

Comment

Working...
                                                    X