X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to lie with statistics, pt. 8,243,721.5

Top truth bending by the New South Wales ministry of health:

Well, 43,000 nurses is a lot like "no nurses".

Comment

Did they start recruiting really tall nurses in 2011/12?

Or maybe the ones they had before were just further away.

Comment

That's proper outstanding, that is.

Hey kids, the closer you zoom in, the bigger things get.

Brilliant.

Comment

They're not lying with statistics.

They're lying with the misleading graphical representation of statistics.

(the sort of thing you'd find in a "[strike]management[/strike] executive summary")

Comment

Lying with axes. Which reads more aggresive than it sounds!

Also, notice that the last entry is a projection.

Comment

They only fibbed with the y-axis. It's fine otherwise.

Comment

You know, if that graph started from zero on the y-axis, it would be about 60 cm high.

Comment

Axis is your flexible friend.

Comment

Can't we get the Mail excited about this?

How the Golden Generation of HEROES died fighting the Axis only to see this kind of abuse?

Comment

That graph is misleading, I would say, because the people-figures look like they're representing numbers, apart from what the axes and figures are telling you.

I've made a lot of graphs for investment banks. We do a lot of split-axes graphs, but generally, would start the axes like that. It really depends on whether they wanted to accentuate the change or not. But I really wouldn't use people-figures like that.

Comment

This is very lawyerly, but I think the question is whether pitch book standards of "accuracy" should be applied to public administration.

If that happens, we are all in deep trouble.

Comment

Oh I agree. I was really taking issue with SP's point about there being nothing wrong with it (technically).

Comment

I read him as only referring to the X-axis, which I don't have a problem with (assuming that this wasn't done at the end of 2013 or later).

Comment

I can't see where June is on that graph.

Comment

Second on the left on the fourth row, next to Sharon

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: I read him as only referring to the X-axis, which I don't have a problem with (assuming that this wasn't done at the end of 2013 or later).
                                  Oh, I thought he meant it had to be foreshortened otherwise you couldn't see any difference unless it was really high.

Think I need more coffee.

Comment

MsD wrote: Oh I agree. I was really taking issue with SP's point about there being nothing wrong with it (technically).
                                    I forgot to include quotes.

Comment

Ok, sorry, but I do have to work with problems of visual data representation - and although it's mostly been in banking, it's also been in NGOs, representing sensitive things like mortality. It's hard to show a significant change clearly without distorting or misleading, although your narrative, labels and titles should make it clear.

Comment

Southport Zeb wrote: Second on the left on the fourth row, next to Sharon
                                        Of course. It's hard to make any of them out when you put them in uniform.

Comment

MsD wrote: Ok, sorry, but I do have to work with problems of visual data representation - and although it's mostly been in banking, it's also been in NGOs, representing sensitive things like mortality. It's hard to show a significant change clearly without distorting or misleading, although your narrative, labels and titles should make it clear.
                                          I don't really see the justification for creating a graph based on only five data points, especially when the relative differences in magnitude are so small.

Personally, if my intention was not to mislead the readers, I'd publish this data as a table.

Comment

A directional arrow between each set of columns with the change percentage e.g "+5%" would clarify a bit. That's what I'd do, probably, but in a serious report (where you want people to really absorb the info), yes, a table, maybe in addition to a graph.

Comment

Well, clearly the whole point of the exercise was to mislead the public, so a table would never have "worked".

What's just as bad is that I guarantee you that the team that produced it sold it as an "infographic".

Comment

Working...
                                              X