• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryanair rules the world, OK!

Michael O'Leary becomes a Bilderberger.

Comment

Handy that Ryanair fly direct to Innsbruck. Well, actually it's a military airfield outside Augsburg, but it's close enough for Ryanair.

Comment

Just sayin' but Ryanair have no control over the designation of Augsburg as Innsbruck, Beauvais as Paris, Hahn as Frankfurt, etc.

It's all down to your friends at IATA, who see their mission as increasing the number of air travellers.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Handy that Ryanair fly direct to Innsbruck. Well, actually it's a military airfield outside Augsburg, but it's close enough for Ryanair.
          Shit, I didn't know that. Quite some chuztpah there.

Ironically Memmingen airport (definitely not in Munich) is closer to Innsbruck than Augsburg is.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Just sayin' but Ryanair have no control over the designation of Augsburg as Innsbruck, Beauvais as Paris, Hahn as Frankfurt, etc.

It's all down to your friends at IATA, who see their mission as increasing the number of air travellers.
            Not sure about that. Ryanair markets (or at least used to market) Girona as Barcelona (Girona) when there is no mention of Barcelona in its IATA denomination, its official name being Girona-Costa Brava.

Comment

Girona and Barcelona are only 60-odd miles apart and both in the same country, which is pretty small beer by Ryanair standards.

Comment

Memmingen airport (definitely not in Munich)
                i once missed my bus from munich to memmingen and had to get a taxi. it's... quite a long way.

Comment

Girlfriend booked a flight from real Copenhagen airport to real Dublin airport with Ryanair. Website has been massively improved and it was a breeze to book, with no trick questions.

She booked return leg with Aer Lingus. Website was akin to an electronic obstacle course. It took so long to navigate all the trick questions that by the time she had entered her payment details (and deselected the "offer" of Aer Lingus applying a really shit exchange rate to her Swedish credit card), that she got the message, "Your session has timed out, you will now be taken back to the Aer Lingus homepage." And so she had to start all over again.

Comment

Only had the RyanAir experience once. A flight from Marseilles to Dublin. Hilariously bad. We just laughed at the Yellow Packness of it all and realised that the reason for the flight attendants' bad mood was probably because of the shit wages and the realisation on wakening that morning that they worked for that utter, utter cunt O'Leary.

Comment

Can't they clean them themselves?

Someone should've cleaned the plane.
                      It whiffed a bit.

Comment

garcia wrote:
                        Memmingen airport (definitely not in Munich)
                        i once missed my bus from munich to memmingen and had to get a taxi. it's... quite a long way.
                        What, you got a taxi to Memmingen station and got the train, or you went all the way to Munich?

I shudder to think what the latter would cost … it must be about 100 km away.

Comment

I'm amazed they care so obsessively about their employees' cleanliness when the planes themselves smell like an armpit.

Clearly O'Leary has some kind of wheeze happening with Eezy-Kleen of Swords.

Comment

Girona and Barcelona are only 60-odd miles apart and both in the same country, which is pretty small beer by Ryanair standards.
                            Better than Reus, or as Ryanair calls it, Reus Barcelona. It's 110km from Barcelona.

Comment

To be fair to Ryanair, Gatwick started it when they started calling themselves London Gatwick, when Crawley Gatwick would be more appropriate, and then Stanstead just took the piss when it jumped in. It's about an hour and a half on the train and then the tube from Stanstead to anywhere a tourist would call "London", unless they've only come to have their picture taken on platform 9 and 3/4 at King's Cross.

Comment

After flying twice with Ryanair, my "never again" moment came at Stockholm-Skavsta (i.e. Nyköpping) while waiting for a flight to Hamburg (i.e. Lübeck).

All passengers had been herded into a room about the size of a changing room at municipal football pitches. It was sweltering and there was nowhere to sit.

One member of the Ryanair staff, who looked about fourteen and was visibly nervous, had to walk around with the cardboard sleeve that judges whether people’s hand luggage is too big or not.

She’d obviously been instructed to err on the side of the company rather than the customer, which meant she was having to tell hot, sweating passengers who didn’t really know what was going on that they had to pay for excess baggage, even though their stuff had already been weighed and/or measured at check-in.

Which meant that she was being shouted at left, right and centre. (All right, it’s not Ryanair’s fault that passengers shout, but it’s their fault for putting teenagers in a situation which markedly increases the likelihood of passengers shouting at them.)

Comment

I only fly SAS now from Scandinavia. Free hold luggage, dead simple website, real airport terminals (waiting areas with seats!) near the city, clean planes, complimentary tea/coffee, flight attendants who may actually have a pension fund, etc. OK, so sometimes it can cost a ten or twenty euro extra, but it's worth it.

I only flew Ryanair twice, both times because somebody else booked. They are scum. I used to fly Norwegian until they left me stranded at the airport because I was five minutes late for the check-in deadline and "computer says no". I had only carry on luggage and even got the guy from security to testify that it was very quiet at the airport and that I would make to to the gate well before boarding starts. Computer says no. The plane left 15 minutes late and all.

Comment

Calvert wrote: Can't they clean them themselves?

Someone should've cleaned the plane.
                                    It whiffed a bit.
                                    One of the most notorious Ryanair horror stories involved a sick passenger vomiting all over the floor of the aircraft, and the flight staff refusing to clean it up on the grounds that it wasn't part of their job.

Unfortunately for them, a researcher from The Pat Kenny Show was sitting a few seats away and smelled a great story (as well as the stench of puke).

O'Leary will never get a cent of my money, no matter how many nice friendly shiny PR makeovers his company engages in.

Comment

I shudder to think what the latter would cost … it must be about 100 km away.
                                      €190. ordinarily i would have just tried booking another flight but i had to be back at work the following morning & it was the day after the CL final so flights were at a premium.

Comment

The Norway-based pilots at Norwegian Air are threatening to go on strike, basically protesting at how Norwegian is employing pilots through subsidiary companies in Ireland and Singapore at much lower rates.

Bjorn Kjos, the owner of Norwegian and Scandinavia's version of Michael O'Leary, is one step ahead. He has already moved all strategic airline assets out of the Norway-registered parts of Norwegian Air and has told the pilots that they are welcome to go on strike. He will then declare the Norway-registered parts of Norwegian Air as bankrupt, and the 700 affected pilots are more than welcome to apply for 500 jobs at another Norwegian Air subsidiary.

What an arsehole, huh.

Comment

Working...
                                        X