Your crazy radical policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's mine. Nationalise all housing. You get allocated a certain amount of square footage. No more families with six kids crammed in a 3-bed terrace or wealthy millionaires floating around in their sixteen-bath mansions. No mortgages to pay. We can all spend our hard earned on things that we like, like chips.

Yeah, totally unworkable. What would your crazy radical policies be?

That one, plus the complete abolition of all fee-paying education.

Comment

I don't do crazy (no, seriosuly) but I wouldn't disagree with higher government intervention in housing.

Comment

Money is a human construct that has caused a lot more bad than good - get rid of it and go back to bartering, I say.

Comment

No smoking, no drinking and no driving until the age of 25.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: That one, plus the complete abolition of all fee-paying education.
            Zealotry like yours would have meant I had to slum it at the much more academic (and later, mixed) grammar school in my town.

Say what you like about league tables, they'd have stopped my Mum spending all her earnings on my school fees.

Comment

Bank of England brought back under political control, with advice of bank published.

That's radical, old John Major policy.

The pedestrianization of Norwich City Centre should also be an aspiration.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: That one, plus the complete abolition of all fee-paying education.
                By attaching even a nominal fee to things, people tend to value them exponentially more. It's why water is metered when it's near-enough-free to provide. So I'd fully support nominal fee higher education.

Comment

WOM's no-drinking-under-25 policy needs calling out. I mean, why not just go and join the Taliban?

Comment

"No more families with six kids"

I'd start there.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: WOM's no-drinking-under-25 policy needs calling out. I mean, why not just go and join the Taliban?
                      Tower Hamlets has already banned drinking. I can confirm that because I'm in a pub as I post this.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: WOM's no-drinking-under-25 policy needs calling out. I mean, why not just go and join the Taliban?
                        Well, if you think that's best...

Comment

I don't have any, sorry.

Comment

Housing inequality isn't so much about space as location, surely. I'd happily give up a few square feet to get away from my night-owl neighbours and their immense stereo system. And a sea view rather than looking onto a petrol station.

My radical policy would be to make private car ownership really difficult away from rural areas. Residential roads closed (for driving and parking) for long periods each day. Road taxes. A driveway charge. That sort of thing.

Comment

Arts spending, including public service broadcasting.

Comment

The outlawing of all private healthcare.

Comment

Ok ok. A complete ban on the paving / tarmacing / whatvering over of front gardens to provide driveways or off-road parking. Like 100%, no exceptions.

AND the reinstatement of those gardens which have previously been lost in this way.

Comment

Green Calx wrote: The outlawing of all private healthcare.

Comment

All those shops built in front of the nice houses in Hackney Road knocked down.

Comment

Narrowing of all suburban streets to one lane in one direction, with mandatory cycle/foot path alongside.

Comment

Green Calx wrote: The outlawing of all private healthcare.
                                          Wouldn't loads of senior doctors clear off to America?

Comment

Political control of the BoE would require the UK to withdraw from the EU.

It's also absolutely barking, given recent UK governments.

I'd like to ban private motor vehicles on the island of Manhattan, but would settle for a massive congestion charge (say USD 25 an entry).

I'd also impose VAT over here (which seems meh to all of you but is absolutely incendiary here).

Comment

Replace the House of Lords with Parliamentary service - 1000 people randomly selected from the public, a la Jury service, to sit in the House of Lords and pass or reject legislation from the Commons.

Comment

Why 1000?

That would require new facilities.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Green Calx
                                                  The outlawing of all private healthcare.
                                                  Wouldn't loads of senior doctors clear off to America?
                                                  Fuck 'em.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X