X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian racist singlet

Probably deserves a thread of its own:

This dates back to last October.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2014/10/14/1227090/389724-5140ba3e-5369-11e4-a40d-833ddda6a9b8.jpg

And this is the latest news on it

http://www.smh.com.au/queensland/ipswich-woman-charged-over-muslim-hate-attacks-online-20150217-13hamf.html

Hmmm.

To my mind this would suggest that 89% of the Telegraph readers who responded are as equally racist as the garment.

Can our Antipodean cousins please inform me as to the background/publishers/political stance of the DT?

Is it akin to our very own and dearly beloved Dailly Mile?

It's an Australian newspaper, who the fuck do you think owns it?

Comment

Isn't that a t-shirt?

At least over here, singlets are sleeveless.

Comment

Flynnie wrote: It's an Australian newspaper, who the fuck do you think owns it?
        Barry Humphries?

Comment

Wrong original link, btw.

Try here instead!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/the-woolworths-singlet-thats-been-flagged-as-racist-89-of-telegraph-readers-say-it-isnt/story-fni0cx12-1227090384243

Comment

I dunno - how far along the spectrum is racism from jingoism ?

What I see here is a lawyer who's seen an opportunity and so far it's all playing into her hands.

Comment

That type of sentiment is really table-stakes in the low-level, right-leaning, narrow worldview racism game, isn't it?

I mean, I've heard stuff like that from Mrs WOM's lovely aunt as recently as January of this year. There will always be a considerable segment of white, western society that thinks if you weren't born 'here' and your parents weren't born 'here', then you have no right to moan about anything because it's a damn sight more agreeable than whatever hell-hole you chose to abandon at the earliest opportunity.

And yeah, a singlet is usually a 'onesie' type thing that a baby wears. That's definitely a t-shirt.

Comment

Another favourite is the bumper sticker "If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them." I see that a lot, and it turns me into the type of seething murderous liberal you don't hear about too often.

Comment

the use of 'singlet' makes the thread title work.

Comment

Well, it piques the curiosity, for sure.

High open-rate, as we'd say in the biz.

Comment

WOM wrote: Well, it piques the curiosity, for sure.

High open-rate, as we'd say in the biz.
                      Werll. Yeah. Definitely BNT.

Comment

I've lived and worked in Australia for quite a few years. Australians as a whole are very patriotic and believe Australia is the best country in the world. Australia Day, when T-shirts and singlets like this one tend to pop up, provides an annual occasion for reflections on the meaning and value of Australian patriotism. Australians believe to be an Australian patriot is to love Australia as their own country. It is to identify with Australia, to see a little bit of Australia in themselves and a little bit of themselves in Australia.

The Australian identity has always been an ambiguous notion. They are stereotyped as true blue battlers with Akubra hats, convict blood, and croc-wrestling skills. Fair dinkum democratic mates who believe 'she'll be right' is the solution to almost any problem. They eat 'that black stuff' on toast and indulge in a cuppa and Tim Tam. Travel all over the globe, yet still manage to call Australia home....

For your 'dinky di' 'true blue' Aussie, it is considered outrageous that there would be some people living in Australia who don’t love it.

For patriotic Aussie read patriotic American!!

Comment

If you don't love the centuries of prejudice against Aboriginal people and latterly refugees you'd be better of staying to argue against it.

Have they sorted out whether Abbott is really a Pom without Aussie citizenship yet?

Which part of Northern working-class Labour-voting Canberra are you based in, Joparo

Comment

And people wonder why I don't fancy a trip out there.

(I do appreciate there is more to the country than the above)

Comment

Aye, fuck that.
                              If I want to hear a load of wankers bleating on about how much they love their country it's cheaper to stay at home and do it.

Comment

fuckin 'ell...

Is this for real?

Seriously though Australians are in general a friendly lot, I've never heard much in the way of casual racism, nor has any racist remarks, mild or otherwise ever been directed towards me, a little bit 'pommy bashing' banter during the cricket ashes series maybe but nothing about my ethnicity.

Australians seem far happier than the British, sure Britain has shocking weather that makes people miserable. Darkness at 4pm, sleet and returning home to rising damp really isn't the type of environmental conditions that lead to a happy life. The class system isn't s prevalent in Australia as the UK, it's a far more egalitarian society and valuing egalitarianism is another way for Australians to deal some of the sneering that can occasionally emanate from the mother country.

Today’s Australia is a land of extraordinary ethnic diversity. A third of them were born overseas, in dozens of different countries, from Malaysia to the Mediterranean to the Middle East. It is a cultural cornucopia, where different languages and skin colours bond over the values that unite modern Australia. there's far less racial tension in Australia than in many Western European countries that is for sure.

I like Australians, they're free spirited, pragmatic, individualistic and certainly a laid back lot. And while they could be hung, drawn and culturally quartered by the British on any given day of the week they are a lot less uptight about life than their British counterparts.....

Not Canberra, Duncan, the sunny Gold Coast, I work in Brisbane though...

Comment

Having lived here over 16 years now, and having dual citizenship, clearly there's enough about Australia I love that I want to stay. But that doesn't mean there aren't elements which make my blood boil, and make me ashamed of the passport with the kanga and emu on it.

I'm afraid I would have to disagree with some, only some, of Joparo's posts. I think there is casual racism; aimed at SE Asians, Jews, Moslems, Lebanese (especially), Indians, Pacifuc Islanders and, of course, the original owners. True, it's a gloriously multi-cultural society, and true the vast majority are balanced and sensible in their views. But it's there.

The media, Murdoch 's in particular and the Shock Jocks, whip up the bigoted minority to the extent that stories like this are all too prevalent, and bullshit myths proliferate. (Yes, the Telegraph is Murdoch's). I picked one up waiting for my coffee the other morning, read half the first headline and dropped it like a live grenade. It does frustrate me that so many people swallow this shit.

And one other point: I'm afraid "true blue Australian" is code for "white Australian" in my book. I don't encounter any racism aimed at me* and I wasn't born here.

* apart from Pommy-baiting, which I don't mind at all. Mrs. S disagrees.

Comment

Joparo wrote: Australians seem far happier than the British, sure Britain has shocking weather that makes people miserable
                                    I can understand that as one reason for preferring life Down Under, although I personally would rather darkness an hour earlier in winter to hurricanes and bush fires.

Helluva game of cricket just there. Your boys defending a poor 150 but only lost by one wicket

Comment

I only ever really supported one cricket team Duncan, that was my dads team, the West Indies of the 70's and 80's....

Gordon Greenidge, Desmond Haynes, Viv Richards, Malcolm Marshall, Clive Lloyd, Joel Garner and Michael Holding!

Unfortunately these days my interest has waned a bit

No hurricanes or bushfires on the Gold Coast mind!

Comment

Working...
                                      X