Interview advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview advice

So. As mentioned on the Mundane Thread, I've got an interview tomorrow. It's all happened in a bit of a rush, to be honest; a conversation with a recruitment agency shortly after the new year has led to an appointment arranged in haste (at the company's request, which is quite daunting) for a post at a huge nationwide broker in the City.

It's been a while - 8 years, in fact - since I had an interview (I'm discounting the disastrous one I had last year where I aced the technical test but wasn't asked back because I 'seemed nervous') so does anyone have any advice or techniques as to getting through the thing without sweating profusely or passing out?

Interview advice

Do you know anything about the interview at all?

Comment

Interview advice

Don't wear your gym shorts.

Comment

Interview advice

Nothing specific, but insurance interviews are usually the same wherever you go. A short introduction, a timed technical test and then a longer personal interview, usually with two people. I've done my background reading on the company, so I just need to come up with a couple of relatively intelligent questions for the inevitable 'is there anything you'd like to ask us?'.

I've also realised it's for a job working in the London Market, which I've never done. This should be interesting.

Comment

Interview advice

A tiny bit of diazepam.

Or, download Paul McKenna's Confidence app. One of the techniques is to imagine yourself through the eyes of someone who loves you. Another is to visualise someone you think of as confident, mimic their body language (unless they're a pole dancer), and try to channel their confidence.

Or, I dunno, think it will be all over soon, and this company aren't strangers, they're just an office full of wankers who aren't getting on your nerves yet.

I'm only nervous when I really want the job, which is annoying, as I'm ace at getting jobs I don't want.

Good luck, anyway.

Oh yes, questions are good, and if you focus on the answers, that will take your mind off your nerves.

Comment

Interview advice

So, in summary:

1. Don't wear shorts
            2. Imagine I'm Paul McKenna

I'm going to fucking walk this.

(But seriously, thanks.)

Comment

Interview advice

Some useful advice here - http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2015/02/03/20-essential-job-interview-tips/

Comment

Interview advice

My 10p's worth.

* "What do you know about our company?" is a pretty common question, so make sure you have a reply
                * Visit a few websites that list common and difficult interview questions; pick out the more plausible ones and have some answers prepared
                * Have questions prepared for the end of the interview
                * Be confident without being a nob-end.

Comment

Interview advice

Remember you're doing them a favour by being there. They want to speak to you cos they reckon you can do a job for them. Your CV/experience is obviously attractive to them.

Comment

Interview advice

Have some questions ready to fire at them. It's a two-way thing, of course. Their job might be shyte so best find out before starting it.

A few examples from here:

http://careers.theguardian.com/questions-to-ask-at-interview

• What are the most enjoyable and the least enjoyable aspects of the role?
                    This can show that you like to know what sort of challenge you are going to face and that you like to get properly prepared for it, all in the expectation of being able to rise to it.

• What types of training opportunities do you offer?
                    This is a classic question – it highlights that you're keen to advance your skills and add further value to the organisation.

• Is there scope for promotion in the future?
                    This is another classic question. In a similar vein, it emphasises a determination to make progress and over the long term.

• Can you tell me how the role relates to the overall structure of the organisation?
                    With this question you're drawing attention to a preference for teamwork. It looks as though you want to know where you would fit in and how your contribution would affect the rest of the company.

• How would you describe the work culture here?
                    This signals that you want to operate at your optimum and understand that for this you require a positive environment. This indicates you're a good self-manager who is aware of how to get the best out of yourself.

• In what way is performance measured and reviewed?
                    This question flags up that you appreciate the importance of delivering real results. You will be seen as someone who understands the value of commitment, reliability and returns.

Comment

Interview advice

At school, the teacher responsible for careers advice told us that the best way to dispel any fears during job interviews is to imagine the interviewer in the buff and attempting to enter a bathtub containing water that is clearly too hot.

I saw him a few years later, working as a turnstile operator at Ashton Gate. Maybe he took his own advice at the interview.

Comment

Interview advice

If I were to start tomorrow, what are the three most important tasks you would want me to execute on?

Comment

Interview advice

'Where do you see yourself in a year's time?'

'Sat behind your desk, you tosser'

Comment

Interview advice

Maybe crack one off in the toilets beforehand, just to steady your nerves. Be careful of the suit though.

Comment

Interview advice

Avoid the tuna.

Comment

Interview advice

WOM wrote: Avoid the tuna.
                                Heh!

Someone remind me who posted the tuna story.

Comment

Interview advice

http://www.onetouchfootball.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=010810;p=1

Comment

Interview advice

Be courteous to people on your way to said interview

Comment

Interview advice

Best of luck, TG.

Comment

Interview advice

TG - I'm on interview panels quite a lot, although we're always working to a person spec, which may not be the case for you here. Successful candidates tend to have done their homework on what the role is, where it sits within the organisation and what local priorities are. They've also got relevant stories that they can tell confidently and without too much um-ing and ah-ing in relation to all the elements of the person spec.

Comment

Interview advice

Had I seen the tuna story before just now, I would have shared it with the guy on his way to an interview who I met on a train today. He looked a bit stressed.

Comment

Interview advice

Good luck Toby. Having had seven jobs since your last interview, and many more unsuccessful interviews than successful ones, a few things I've picked up along the way:

It's not about being the candidate who dazzles them with the most profound and unique answers, just try to be the one who says what they were hoping you would the most often.

As you're going to be doing a lot of talking, when you're offered a drink, ask for water, and try and make it last the whole interview.

Examples of questions for them: What effect has the economic downturn had? What's the company's strategy for growth? Also if you can, take something they say in their reply and ask a follow-up, so it's more than just regurgitating a list of questions you memorised.

At the end, emphasise that you're keen on the position (if you still are). Thank them for their time as you're shaking hands; give them a good last impression before they start assessing you.

Comment

Interview advice

Also try and remember that you're swapping one avaricious capitalist organisation looking to exploit your labour for profit for another, and that the pursuit of happiness is a consumerist construct that doesn't really exist so if you don't get the job nothing really changes. All the best, mate.

Comment

Interview advice

I used to work with a manager who always insisted on asking "wacky" interview questions whenever we were recruiting - but luckily he doesn't work in insurance, so you're going to avoid the likes of:

If you were a sandwich, what kind of sandwich would you be?

Which character from 'Allo 'Allo are you most like?

If you had to choose what kind of radioactive animal bit you, bearing in mind how Spiderman came about, which animal would you choose?

For reference, anyone saying BLT automatically failed. Nobody ever mentioned floury baps, but the rule was that they'd always get a job.

Comment

Interview advice

I've had that, "what sort of dog would you be?" for a job in digital marketing. I gave him what was probably a withering look and said "a digital marketing dog". Didn't get it, didn't care by that point.

It's horrible power play, this "zany in the workplace" thing. The limits to "zany" are tightly controlled, a la David Brent.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X