"You Fenian Bast-Oooooooooouphhhhhh!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I'm going to a work colleague's wedding reception the weekend after next. It turns out that the father of his wife-to-be is a former Lord Mayor of Dublin. Going by the unlikely name of Michael Collins, one of his claims to fame is that he chinned the Rev. Ian Paisley after the latter had aimed a verbal insult at him at some conflab or other.

Does this incident ring any bells with anyone?

Well, Paisley's ears rang...

Comment

There are loads of Michael Collinses running around in this country, including one of the top GAA referees. And yes, there was a Michael Collins who was mayor of Dublin in the late 1970s.

This other incident is news to me -- if any Irish politician had ever stuck one on Paisley, we would never have heard the end of it. The deliverer of the punch would have become a folk hero.

Comment

Were you told about the Mayor yesterday morning, NS?

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about O'Neill and Jennings dragging up that old favorite, an all-Ireland team. 'Jaysus lads, with six million to choose from we'd be World beaters'.

Shut the door on yer way out, lads.

Next.

(I suppose it could be a spoof, but still on the BBC site and not posted until 16:24 yesterday).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7324995.stm

Comment

One Michael Collins got nearly all the way to the moon, of course.

It's a pity Dave Gorman isn't called Michael Collins.

Comment

Were you told about the Mayor yesterday morning, NS?
              I'm pretty sure that the story is kosher, Phoebe: there was certainly a Michael Collins who was Lord Mayor of Dublin in the late 70s and my colleague isn't the feeble April Fool's joke type.

Unless any of the Irish lads can corroborate the story, it looks like I might have to broach the subject with him himself on Saturday week!

Comment

Working...
              X