What did your Dad cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did your Dad cook?

Yeah, I think it's an age thing. When I was a kid my dad cooked very little (as mentioned above), but these days he does a lot more. My kids will tell the similar message board thread of the future that their parents split the cooking roughly equally (though they will also say that they like their mother's cooking much more than their dad's spicy, meatless offerings

Comment

What did your Dad cook?

There's also a location element. Lots of single New Yorkers of all genders don't cook, because the range of take away and delivered options is so huge. One just couldn't live that way in huge swathes of the country.

Comment

What did your Dad cook?

La Lanterne Rouge wrote: My dad cooked probably once every week or two. He'd do the barbecuing, but that was mostly about the fire. And he'd cook curries, which involved lots of grinding of spices. Other than that he'd make really strong, intense sauces and gravies on the rare occasions we had roast dinners; and on Christmas Eve he'd make a game casserole.

He's still a reasonable cook, but doesn't do it often.

The trouble was that it was always a show, and a ton of drama. Everyone would have to help. 30 ingredients were used. He'd ask my mum where everything was, and be horrified if we didn't have to right kind of whatever to strain something out. And the kitchen would look like a class of 30 5-year-olds had just been to play with the ingredients. And he'd never help with tidying or washing up - making a gravy was such a big deal (as if the meat and 4 or 5 veg being served wasn't really much work). I don't think he could ever quietly create a meal in about 30 minutes.
        Is your dad Uncle Podger from Three Men In A Boat?

Comment

What did your Dad cook?

ursus arctos wrote: There's also a location element. Lots of single New Yorkers of all genders don't cook, because the range of take away and delivered options is so huge. One just couldn't live that way in huge swathes of the country.
          I thought Manhattaners didn't cook because their apartments are too small to have kitchens, and the closest thing there is to a "grocery store" within walking distance (and nobody is driving or getting the subway just to buy carrots!) is a Duane Reade on the corner.

Comment

What did your Dad cook?

And as someone else alluded to, I was always under the impression, as a kid, that my parents were brilliant, interesting, experimental cooks. It was only later in life that I realised that most of what they did was fairly run-of-the-mill, and not actually that great.

Comment

What did your Dad cook?

And I thought all San Diegans carried their surf boards at all times.

There are lots of New Yorkers with relatively large kitchens that don't cook. Pretty much all of the former residential hotels that were built without kitchens were remodelled years ago.

Comment

Working...
              X