Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food that doesn't need a sell by date but has one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have Turkey Bowling in some supermarkets around here, in case that hasn't been mentioned.

Comment

WOM wrote: What's the backstory, though? Was meat seen as so expensive that you could only happen upon some in a raffle?
      Pretty much. Don't know if there's still any going on.

The prize was a big bag of meat, mind.

Comment

I remember a guy in butchers whites walking into Bigfoot Lodge and offering me a great deal on some ribeye he had in a box with him.

Given I was in a hotel and had no means to serve it any other way than raw, I declined.

Very convenient in case a bar fight erupts.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Seem to be some strange meat servings in northern Germany.

Treibeis—was it you who was trying to convince us of the merits of Labskaus? (Other than a dose of salmonella.)

No, not me guv. Beetroot makes my skin crawl. I just like posting pictures of it because it looks like puke and/or shit.

The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With is a big fan, though. I must admit, if she'd eaten Labskaus on any of our early dates, she'd now be known as The Lady Who I Went Out With A Couple Of Times A Few Years Back.

The best Labskaus in town, she says, is served at a place called Alte Deutsche Küche. It's run by a load of Turkish blokes who, I'm sure, wouldn't eat the stuff if you paid them.

Comment

I assume Labskaus is a relation to Lobscouse from whence Scouse comes from?

Comment

Having Googled what labskaus is and being a great lover of corned beef hash, I would crush that.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I assume Labskaus is a relation to Lobscouse from whence Scouse comes from?
                According to Wikipedia, yes.

In Sweden, Lapskojs is a stew made with beef and mashed potatoes. In Norway, the word lapskaus more often refers to a variation of beef stew often made with gravy, or in some cases other types of stew, more or less identical to the Liverpudlian scouse.

Comment

It does look uncannily like mechanically recovered meat slurry.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                    Originally posted by WOM
                    What's the backstory, though? Was meat seen as so expensive that you could only happen upon some in a raffle?
                    Pretty much. Don't know if there's still any going on.

The prize was a big bag of meat, mind.
                    The club we drink in occasionally still does them on a Friday I think - I'm fairly sure the winner just gets a voucher to pick it up at a local butcher, they don't have to carry a tray of meat home.

Not that random food stuffs are forbidden in the club - for a while one of the regulars worked at the local cheese factory, so you'd often see blocks of cheese on tables, he didn't run a voucher scheme for them.

Also there used to be guy who came round (all of the clubs and some of the pubs) selling seafood, but I think he got done for flashing (not on his rounds, in his own time) and retired in shame.

Comment

Yes, I have been offered both cheese and seafood in pubs. Again, no element of chance involved.

Comment

We've had a meat draw every Sunday in our pub for as long as I've been drinking/working there. The food's bought in the morning, raffled off in the afternoon, and the profit goes towards staff drinks at the end of the year. I know of at least five other pubs in Southampton that do them - I always thought it was a nationwide thing.

Comment

There are still meat raffles at a few football clubs round north Bucks way, too.

Comment

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: The club we drink in occasionally still does them on a Friday I think - I'm fairly sure the winner just gets a voucher to pick it up at a local butcher, they don't have to carry a tray of meat home.
                            You've just reminded me that I won a meat voucher at a charity motorcycle ride ages ago. I had no way to get a box of frozen steaks home, and it was way 'round the other side of Lake Ontario, and ah fuck it....

Comment

Sardines purchased today: best before 2019. They can go in my nuclear winter bag.

Comment

My dad still tells the story of being in a pub in Liverpool in the '60s after the game, when the curtains were closed and a whole dead cow was brought in through the back door. The butcher on site (I think he was in on it, or the pub got very lucky that evening) then carved the whole thing up on a couple of tables and my dad came home on the train with 5lb of fresh beef.

Very 'Raining Stones'.

Comment

My club has a meat raffle, key to the door and all that stuff, but I haven't seen a fish man in years, no doubt he got sick of the crabs joke.

Also haven't seen the Sally Army for some time. As an older pal of mine used to say, 'that bloke's been promising me a young soldier for three bob for years, and all I ever get is a stupid comic'.

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: My dad still tells the story of being in a pub in Liverpool in the '60s after the game, when the curtains were closed and a whole dead cow was brought in through the back door. The butcher on site (I think he was in on it, or the pub got very lucky that evening) then carved the whole thing up on a couple of tables and my dad came home on the train with 5lb of fresh beef.
                                    I think I've told this before, but in the 1930s/1940s, my grandfather and some friends were stumbling home when they saw someone chucking meat out the side door of a butcher shop around midnight. When the guy went back in for another load, they jammed the door closed, grabbed all the meat and ran. My grandmother awoke to 1/2 a frozen cow on her kitchen floor.

Comment

Working...
                                    X