Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food that doesn't need a sell by date but has one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water
    Rice
    Salt
    Vinegar
    Dried Pasta.

I am not sure whether wine has a sell by date but I know that canned beer had.

Beer does. (And it does degrade over time.)
    Wine doesn't. Although a lot of wines do suggest when you should drink them by, especially glugging whites.

Comment

Things thought up by sailors to keep things fresh - lime juice, Worcestershire sauce - shouldn't have them.

Comment

Knäckebröd

And, of course, McDonald's hamburgers

Comment

Antonio Pulisao wrote: And, of course, McDonald's hamburgers
          That's called dehydration. See also Egyptian mummies.

Comment

Honey.

Comment

The chances are none of these things has a sell by date on them. What they will have is a best before one. Clear honey, for example, goes cloudy and quite crystalline over time. It is still edible, but clearly inferior to the state it was on original purchase.

Comment

rice cakes.

Comment

Janik wrote: The chances are none of these things has a sell by date on them. What they will have is a best before one. Clear honey, for example, goes cloudy and quite crystalline over time. It is still edible, but clearly inferior to the state it was on original purchase.
                  Best Before dates are actually very rare nowadays, I find. I am now going to have to go downstairs and check all those I mention.

Comment

Corned beef.

There are tins decades old, some more than a century, where the contents have still been perfectly edible.

Comment

Did sailors invent lime juice?

I've just reheated some corned beef hash for my lunch, actually. Quite pricey these days- £2 a tin?

Comment

I tried to smoke some corned beef hash once.
                        it didn't burn very well. It just made the rizla greasy.

Comment

Surströmming.

From what I can gather, its adherents consider the older and more rancid the better.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Surströmming.

From what I can gather, its adherents consider the older and more rancid the better.
                            I see your Surstromming and I raise you a Hakarl.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                              Originally posted by Janik
                              The chances are none of these things has a sell by date on them. What they will have is a best before one. Clear honey, for example, goes cloudy and quite crystalline over time. It is still edible, but clearly inferior to the state it was on original purchase.
                              Best Before dates are actually very rare nowadays, I find. I am now going to have to go downstairs and check all those I mention.
                              Actually, forget all this and this thread. Everything I have mentioned has "Best Before" dates except for salt which hasn't got anything.

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: Honey.
                                Yes dear?

Comment

s'funny. I'm just taking a moment to eat a couple of expired Yogourts and here's this thread.

That's the way it is, though. It's still good to eat, but that date puts people off. My wife regularly goes around the house, chucking out anything with a date that's past on it.

There's nothing wrong with most of it.

Comment

My wife works at a farm shop and we get everything on its last day and it keeps for ages. Well, I hope so, I just ate a black pudding egg from yesterday. Yoghurt is just sour milk anyway, isn't it?

Comment

The first place my wife goes at No Frills is the 'expired meat' bin. It's usually 30% off, but you sorta need to cook it tonight.

We also upset the girl by telling her that most of her home-made baby food was from the deeply-discounted expired-produce bin.

Comment

I have just Googled "No Frills" and "expired meat" and not only does it exist but it has a picture of an expired mango.

Do you have meat raffles in North America? I expect they are called Beef Lotto or something.

Comment

I've got expired mangos in my fridge, but they weren't that way when they went in.

I expect I'll be having those tomorrow.

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote: Did sailors invent lime juice?

I've just reheated some corned beef hash for my lunch, actually. Quite pricey these days- £2 a tin?
                                            Mate! That's my tea sorted tonight.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Antonio Pulisao
                                              And, of course, McDonald's hamburgers
                                              That's called dehydration. See also Egyptian mummies.
                                              Mummies and McD burgers did have one thing in common, the extensive use of preservatives. A regular untreated burger would have rapidly decomposed. It might have dried if you'd dropped it on a desert floor, but anywhere else the bread and meat would have rotted away. McDonald's fries have 17 ingredients, mostly preservatives, like silicone.

Janik, cristalized honey will revert to its original liquid state if you warm it up, with minimal impact in quality and taste (best done by a slow process, like putting the jar in a sunny windowsill or in a warm water bath).

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I have just Googled "No Frills" and "expired meat" and not only does it exist but it has a picture of an expired mango.

Do you have meat raffles in North America? I expect they are called Beef Lotto or something.
                                                No clue what a meat raffle would be. I mean, I think I get the concept, but who runs it? And why? It's probably a holdover from the war, isn't it?

Comment

Top Tip: the Halal meat section has its own discount area, too, if the discount infidel meat section is already picked clean.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X