When your career is going South...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you happy not to shower for up to a month, live in close proximity to three people and 2,000 smelly penguins for five months?
    Then the UK Antarctic Heritage Trust has the job for you!

If I didn't have a career of my own, I'd be tempted to apply. Can't help but wonder what kind of people the other three would be.

Oh I'd apply for it, if it weren't for having an existing career & relationship (although I'm sure it could reasonably last the distance). My degree and w/e actually let me tick a lot of those boxes n all.

Comment

Might have tempted quite a few, 'til they saw Fortitude...

Comment

Are the three other people going to be David and Victoria Mitchell-Coren and Lily, 18, from Essex?

Comment

See you fuckers. Anctartica here I come!

Comment

Well, I do all that anyway, I may as well get paid for it.

Comment

Blimey, people on this board have "careers"? I just have a job.

Comment

Career is a funny word, really.

In a job it means having a progression, often on a planned or semi-planned basis.

In a car it means you're a mess, a combination of too much power and poor steering.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: Well, I do all that anyway, I may as well get paid for it.
                  Where does it say that you get paid for it?

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                    Originally posted by Bored of Education
                    Well, I do all that anyway, I may as well get paid for it.
                    Where does it say that you get paid for it?
                    The document I linked to does not, but the more extensive job description document does. GBP 1100 per month, plus expenses and subsistence.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: Blimey, people on this board have "careers"? I just have a job.
                      Yes, I do. As a postdoctoral researcher, my work life consists of a succession of temporary jobs at various locations, until maybe somewhere in the distant future I am granted tenure. My current contract runs out by the end of July. For August and beyond, at the moment I don't know where I am going for which period of time and what my job title is going to be. The progression to which Jongudmund alludes is at best semi-planned in my case. Hence: career.

When I summarize it like that, a stint in Antarctica doesn't sound so bad. The thing that holds me back is that I could probably get a decent postdoctoral or assistant professor position in August. However, if I first spend several months faffing about on Antarctica, I fear that my chances in the academic world will have diminished strongly.

Comment

I know someone who did a project similar to this. I remember them telling me that the suggestion that penguins simply smell bad is *seriously* underplaying it.

I seem to recall they had a great time and that was in the age of dial-up internet.

Comment

I'm going to apply for this. I'd be fucking ideal.

Comment

Sounds great - but still cannot understand " During the short summer period approximately 70,000 items of mail are cancelled" - what's that about?
                            Are you expected to write 70 000 letters and then rip them up? are the "18 000 ship-borne visitors" always facing disapointment because none of their post cards make it home?

Comment

They mean "postmarked". There is active market among stamp collectors for these covers.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: I know someone who did a project similar to this. I remember them telling me that the suggestion that penguins simply smell bad is *seriously* underplaying it.
                                Yeah, that was what I read when one of those 'march of the penguins' movies came out a few years ago. They said the smell was almost unbearable.

Comment

Anyone who has spent a reasonable amount of time in the penguin enclosure at a zoo should be able to relate to this, given that we are talking about several orders of magnitude more of penguins and their waste, without anyone around to tidy the place up.

Comment

Ugh, the smell of artisan processed fish, polar bears and chocolate biscuits.

Comment

EIM really ought to apply for this. I imagine the seven months of late night threads and general ramblings would be value for everyone.

Comment

penguins smell terrible. There is a colony of them near capetown, and it comes as no surprised to discover that their diet is mostly fish.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: Career is a funny word, really.

In a job it means having a progression, often on a planned or semi-planned basis.

In a car it means you're a mess, a combination of too much power and poor steering.
                                          In my career, it means the latter as well.

Comment

Working...
                                          X