Wallpaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wallpaper

What's the effing point of it? The apartment I am living in is covered in plain brown wallpaper. I removed it, and behind were perfectly good white plaster walls, with not a crack in sight. Now I have spent the entire day removing glue residue from the walls.

So what is the point of wallpaper when paint exists?

Wallpaper

Studying wallpaper patterns is the main reason for visiting relatives and occupying somebody else's bedroom. And it works much faster than counting sheep.

Dunno about plain brown wallpaper though. That sounds like a missed opportunity.

Comment

Wallpaper

When Mrs. S and I were first together, it being our first place and her being a young Home Counties girl, and it being 1985, she was heavily into Laura Ashley.

Feature paper in the hall, stairs and landing was the legendary Mr. Jones:

Comment

Wallpaper

Last year for my 50th birthday she bought me this mug, celebrating the 50th anniversary of Mr. Jones:

Comment

Wallpaper

Yeah, plain wallpaper has no point. Worst offense is wallpaper in bathrooms, it tends to come off and degrade due to excessive humidity, there was a lot of it in lower-quality mid to high-end American homes built on the cheap in the 1990s.

Comment

Wallpaper

Yeah, plain wallpaper has no point.

It held the plaster in place in pre-Gyproc days. Prevented the, inevitable, cracks showing so quickly.

Comment

Wallpaper

The gaff we're buying has got wallpaper.

it's also got textured walls in the kitchen. That's going to cost some money to have re -done.

Comment

Wallpaper

Yeah, you gotta get rid of it all. Wallpaper is shit.

Comment

Wallpaper

Problem is, it's an old-ish house. So getting rid of wallpaper will mean re-skimming the whole bloody place to make the walls paint-worthy.

Comment

Wallpaper

I feel your pain, hobbes. Our house has got Anaglypta (the bobbly '70s paper) on the ceiling in the hallway. Whenever we have enquired about the feasibility of getting rid of it, the advice is usually along the lines of, don't bother, the whole house will probably collapse in on itself. Admittedly, I'm not generally minded to closely question excuses for avoiding home improvements.

Comment

Wallpaper

That's interesting. Since the Laura Ashley Period, we've eschewed all wallpapers, and when we moved into this place it was everywhere. The house was built in 1940.

Over our first Christmas break we stripped Anaglypta textured paper, with years of paint on top, from the large sitting / dining room. Took bloody ages. There underneath, original unpainted 1940 plaster. The wall was papered when the house was new, then covered and covered for the next 68 years.

We painted on top of the bare plaster, a few cracks and pits but that's character. Better than using lining paper.

Comment

Wallpaper

Lining paper! What's that all about?

Comment

Wallpaper

It's what you draw graphs on.

Comment

Wallpaper

Sits, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability, in the face of the textured wallpaper menace.

We had the bathroom done, which involved stripping back to the brickwork, and at one point they were pulling clumps of horse hair out of the walls. It was built in 1907, which I'd have guessed as being the post-horse hair era of construction, had you asked me previously. On that showing the Anaglypta in the hall may be where the previous inhabitants papered over the entrance to the priesthole, possibly while occupied.

Comment

Wallpaper

Here's some beautiful wallpaper:

http://www.grahambrown.com/uk/product/31-227/maleficent

The other Barbara Hulanicki papers are beautiful, too. She was the designer behind Biba, so is sort of God.

http://www.houseofhackney.com/wallpaper/hackney-empire-wallpaper-midnight.html

My friend has this on just one wall, it looks stunning.

Comment

Wallpaper

TonTon wrote: Lining paper! What's that all about?
                                It's plain paper which you cover flawed walls with and then paint afterwards.

Comment

Wallpaper

MsD wrote: Here's some beautiful wallpaper:

The other Barbara Hulanicki papers are beautiful, too. She was the designer behind Biba, so is sort of God.

Re. the first one, to quote Adrian Mole's dad, "what a piggin' nightmare!"

The second one's lovely but the Hackney Empire Collection at 148 quid a roll!

Comment

Wallpaper

Nocturnal Submission wrote:
                                    Originally posted by TonTon
                                    Lining paper! What's that all about?
                                    It's plain paper which you cover flawed walls with and then paint afterwards.
                                    Yes.

Seems like the worst of both worlds.

Comment

Wallpaper

Why's that? It's a cheap and convenient way of disguising poor plasterwork or repair damage.

Comment

Wallpaper

It's a cheap way of making painted walls look like some awful wallpaper stuff.

Comment

Wallpaper

Well no, actually it's more like a way of making wallpapered walls look like smooth painted plasterwork, if anything.

Is this some politically-based objection or just a personal one because if it's the former you've got enough post-revolution work on your hands with your TV football dictat without taking on the wallpaper enthusiasts.

Comment

Wallpaper

Over here, many rental contracts specify that, when you leave the place you've been renting, it has to have white wallpapered walls.

So shortly before people move out, they cover their walls with the cheapest white woodchip wallpaper they can find. Or, if their walls are already covered in cheap white woodchip wallpaper that's a bit dirty, they paint this wallpaper with the cheapest emulsion they can find.

I've never lived anywhere here that didn't always have white woodchip wallpaper on the walls.

Comment

Wallpaper

A look through any old interior decorating magazine will confirm that the best way to make your house look 'of a period' is to use wallpaper. Hell, it's almost dated the day you roll it on.

Right now, over here, they're on a 'black, textured wallpaper' kick. Almost like those felt Doodle-Art posters. That will be as regrettable in just a few years as the same stuff was back in the '70s.

Comment

Wallpaper

Nocturnal Submission wrote: Well no, actually it's more like a way of making wallpapered walls look like smooth painted plasterwork, if anything.
                                                Ok, well in that case it's a complete failure.

Nocturnal Submission wrote: Is this some politically-based objection or just a personal one because if it's the former you've got enough post-revolution work on your hands with your TV football dictat without taking on the wallpaper enthusiasts.
                                                Don't worry, there's plenty of us.

Comment

Wallpaper

MsD wrote: Here's some beautiful wallpaper:

THE HORROR

Comment

Working...
                                                  X