X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle class street fighting men

Felicity, I guess so wrote:
    Why is "middle-class" a nonsense?
    The idea that class is about what/where you eat; what you call the meal etc is a nonsense.

And 'professions' is such an old-fashioned notion. Ask a 60-hour-week teacher how much their degree/professional status consoles them.
    Class is not a univocal term and it doesn't necessarily need to refer to the strict Marxian definition in relation to the means of production - which would rule out any mention of middle class anyway. Sociological classes are very much real if not exactly clean-cut.

Comment

We haven't had one of these rucks for a while.

Comment

TonTon wrote: Yeah even if you subscribe to the nonsense of "middle-class", a nurse isn't.
        He is some sort of nurses' manager but, when he tells me what he does, it confuses me so used shorthand. I recently went to a proper dinner party around his house where he served up couscous so, you know, by OTF standards, he is virtually the ruling classes. It was lovely couscous though.

Comment

[quote=Felicity, I guess so post=1016872]
          Ask a 60-hour-week teacher how much their degree/professional status consoles them.
          Still, quite a lot, it has to be said but I think that is due to the novelty value to me and my family.

Comment

La Lanterne Rouge wrote: I'm so middle class, I'm not sure I've ever even seen a real fight, anything more than a couple of feeble slaps.

Was the fight really about the Michelin stars ("The Nut Tree in Murcott has two stars!" "No it fucking doesn't mate, it's only got one." "Outside now!"), or about the food ("foams and airs are totally passe, you cunt", etc)? Bored mustn't leave us hanging here.
            As I understand it, it went like this

Third party other mate: Nurse is the second best cook I know after my wife (see couscous dinner party evidence)

Tennis Coach: Oh yeah, if you were running a Michelin Star restaurant what would you serve?

Nurse: Michelin Stars are over-rated

[i]

Comment

Cous cous is working class as fuck, mate.

Comment

I've only seen one fight in the five years I've lived in Amsterdam, and it was absolutely shithouse. posh lads from one of the student societies (your basic future-ruler-of-the-world types) with floppy hair and blazers slapping each other outside the stock exchange. having only ever seen proper Manc scrapping I was amazed that the arrival of the police led to an instant cease, and not a dramatic escalation.

anyway, I'm middle-class and I'll chin the cunt who says I'm not.

Comment

Nearest I've seen is one woman (lady?) threaten to scratch out the eyes of another in Valvona & Crolla (the nice Italian delicatessen on Leith Walk) as they argued about who was first at the cheese counter. To be fair, I also get quite tense about having to wait too long to buy Robiola

I did see two men have an actual fight about which album featuring Ronnie James Dio was better; Heaven & Hell or Holy Diver. But that was in the early hours of the morning in the Glasgow Cathouse, so not that surprising.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I am pretty sure that class can be purely determined on how early you put up your Christmas decorations and how late you take them down.
                    That's the biggest load of crap I'v read in a long time.

It's got nothing to do with when you put up or take down your Christmas decorations. It's got to do with how many flashing lights you have in your windows.

Comment

gavc23 wrote: I did see two men have an actual fight about which album featuring Ronnie James Dio was better; Heaven & Hell or Holy Diver. But that was in the early hours of the morning in the Glasgow Cathouse, so not that surprising.
                      There is nothing pathetic about that sort of fight.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                        Originally posted by Bored of Education
                        I am pretty sure that class can be purely determined on how early you put up your Christmas decorations and how late you take them down.
                        That's the biggest load of crap I'v read in a long time.

It's got nothing to do with when you put up or take down your Christmas decorations. It's got to do with how many flashing lights you have in your windows.
                        I think not, my friend. I sense an irony about some people's amount of lights around Christmas time whereas having your lights up for a third of the year takes real commitment.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I think not, my friend. I sense an irony about some people's amount of lights around Christmas time whereas having your lights up for a third of the year takes real commitment.
                          Listen, pal, when it comes to fairy lights, I know what I'm on about.

Fairy lights, I'll have you know, are my most important promotional tool. I'm not allowed to advertise my 'business premises' - it's owned by the local council and they don't want it besmirched by posters and logos and all the rest of it.

So the only way I can attract immediate attention is by hanging fairy lights above the lavatory doors (the council can't tell me to take lights down, as it would contravene health & safety regulations).

Like most other things here, fairy lights, mate, aren't ironic. They're the difference between sinking and swimming.

My fairy lights are up every day of the year. Working class, me? You ought to see my fingernails, they're fucking filthy, amigo.

Comment

Is that because you only have fairy lights over the wash basins?

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote:
                              Why is "middle-class" a nonsense?
                              The idea that class is about what/where you eat; what you call the meal etc is a nonsense.

And 'professions' is such an old-fashioned notion. Ask a 60-hour-week teacher how much their degree/professional status consoles them.
                              60-hour-week teachers? Are schools in the UK operating 7am-7pm these days?

Comment

Don't start.

Comment

beak wrote: anyway, I'm middle-class and I'll chin the cunt who says I'm not.
                                  I'm so middle-class, I have two Blue Peter badges.

We were on Ask The Family with Robert Robinson and we won.

Comment

They were giving out Blue Peter badges on Ask The Family?

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: Is that because you only have fairy lights over the wash basins?
                                      Have you lost your mind, man? It's illegal enough that the paper-towel dispenser is directly above the wash basin rather than to the left or right. But fairy lights inside the lavatory building? People have been deported for less.

(It's more serious than you'd thinkg. A H&S woman came round a couple of weeks ago and moaned about almost everything. One of the sweet jars has a cork lid. That's not allowed. The fact that the jar contains blue jelly sweets that are so full of crap that they glow in the dark was completely irrelevant.)

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                        Originally posted by gavc23
                                        I did see two men have an actual fight about which album featuring Ronnie James Dio was better; Heaven & Hell or Holy Diver. But that was in the early hours of the morning in the Glasgow Cathouse, so not that surprising.
                                        There is nothing pathetic about that sort of fight.
                                        I was tempted to throw Rainbow Rising into the fray, but that could have only escalated the situation.

Comment

You could have stopped the violence with such a show of righteous exactitude there. Surely, no-one would argue with that.

Comment

Pat McGatt says:

Class is not a univocal term and it doesn't necessarily need to refer to the strict Marxian definition in relation to the means of production
                                            For someone who, I seem to recall, slags off others for quoting things they've studied/academic concepts, this one reads straight out of the post-Marxist Sociology textbook.

Jeremy Hardy on 'posh' nurses:

I shouldn't think it makes a great deal of difference to how you feel about your class position that you're called Charlotte and used to attend gymkhanas when you're up to your elbows in other peoples' piss and shit

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote: Pat McGatt says:

Class is not a univocal term and it doesn't necessarily need to refer to the strict Marxian definition in relation to the means of production
                                              For someone who, I seem to recall, slags off others for quoting things they've studied/academic concepts, this one reads straight out of the post-Marxist Sociology textbook.
                                              You and I. The library. Now.

Comment

Working...
                                              X