(Small) Signs Of The Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tru dat. His Wurst are things of beauty.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
      Originally posted by via vicaria
      I'd like Lewisham more, if it had anything handy in it, but the shopping centre is really rubbish. Blackheath and Greenwich don't have much to offer in terms of 'high street' stores either, but they are prettier (and Greenwich has the Maritime Museum, and the market with all the nice food to stuff yerself with).

Do you ever get used to the slightly surreal juxtaposition you get as you leave Blackheath and then arrive at the bottom of Belmont Hill in Lewisham? It's like going through a weird Silent Hill-style transformation if you're on a quick enough bus.
      Well, I don't really do shopping as a leisure activity, so Blackheath and Greenwich are ideal in that eating and drinking is pretty good. Lewisham shopping centre is fine for me as it has a Sainsburys.

And yes, the ride down past The Squirrels into Lewisham is an odd one.
      Oh I don't do the leisure shopping thing - was just looking for some decent shoes was all. JD Sports and the like were present and correct, but there wasn't much else, or any bookstores. Blackheath isn't much better unless you want good cafes/delis etc, but is at least quite a bit nicer to be in.

No stoners on the district line today. In sign o' the times though, the cutting back of ticket office hours and a Richmond line fuckup led to loads of people swarming the barriers at Victoria, to try and ask the staff there questions, since they aren't available anywhere else. Ever improving service and all that.

Comment

There's a decent menswear shop in Greenwich called Meet Bernard, but it's a bit pricey.

Comment

I'd like Lewisham more, if it had anything handy in it, but the shopping centre is really rubbish.
          It does at least have an Argos and a Marks and Sparks, which is more than I can say for anywhere else this side of Surrey Quays. It's not a "destination" centre, but it has enough that often you won't need to go to one.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: There's a decent menswear shop in Greenwich called Meet Bernard, but it's a bit pricey.
            A menswear shop called Meet Bernard is itself a minor sign of the times. Specifically the trend for entirely out-of-place informality and chumminess. It should be called 'Woolley's Menswear' or some such.
            [there is an enormous assumption underpinning this post, i.e. that this name is fairly new. Someone is now going to tell me 'established in 1888', aren't they??]

Comment

Meet Bernard was set up in 2005 by Laura and Ben. Ben has considerable experience in the fashion industry, having set up the Box Fresh brand and then gone on to manage wholesale and retail sales for the Carhartt brand throughout the UK. The original concept was to establish a store that catered to customers who wanted to be able to buy leading menswear brands without making a trip to the West End.

Through sourcing original brands and ensuring high quality and good value, the store has been a success, using this exprience its finally time to reveal the all new women's store at 22 Nelson Rd.

Cheers,

Laura and Ben

Comment

2005, apparently. But yes, naff name.

Comment

Janik wrote: It should be called 'Woolley's Menswear' or some such.
                  Woolley And Sons would offer extra reassurance that it wasn't some flash in the pan fashion boutique.

The old school gents outfitters in my home town was called Leonard Neasham. Solid. Those sorts of places used to be quite good for getting things like Sunspel t shirts (before Sunspel started aggressively pursuing the young city dweller market).

Comment

Working...
                  X