Samsung.

Cunts.

That is all.

Samsung.

Don't say that in front of your tv.

Comment

Samsung.

Well played.

As I have finally decided to ditch my Blackberry in favour of an Android phone, I was considering a Note 4 (our IT security won't allow a more recent model), but am now leaning towards a Nexus, in part because of this debacle.

Comment

Samsung.

"Ok, Google, here's my pin number"

They're all at it. If you use any type of device, don't expect it to give you any privacy.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-...esktop-chrome/

Comment

Samsung.

Your life is merely a data mine. You are a microdot on a node on the grid. Every second of every day you are browsed, profiled, targeted and tracked by a whole host of devices and services, all to improve your life and bring you a better "experience." The internet and your mobile phone have made you a slave to the hive. The algorythms are spreading like a pandemic, the invasion is nearly complete. Resistance is futile.

Comment

Samsung.

Who the fuck wants to use voice activated stuff unless, through disability, it is absolutely necessary? It seems crazy. It certainly doesn't appeal to me at all.

Comment

Samsung.

Anyone who has grappled with Samsung's astonishingly bad smart tv interface is going to view an alternative as welcome relief.

Comment

Samsung.

The smart interface on my new Samsung is really simple to navigate and a joy to use. I get around the privacy thing by simply not logging in to any of the apps and not using voice activation.

Simple when you think about it.

Comment

Samsung.

Knee-jerk nonsense ahoy!

Your voice commands have to be digitized, go to remote servers and their actions sent back again by their very design; it's not the TV spying on you and sending your conversations to Samsung.

There is a question what the provider does with this data, but it may well be using it to improve the service.

Jimski wrote: Who the fuck wants to use voice activated stuff unless, through disability, it is absolutely necessary? It seems crazy. It certainly doesn't appeal to me at all.
                  It's very useful in certain contexts. If you're alone in an office, for example, or in the car.

Also, if I'm cooking, it's a lot easier to shout "OK Google, set timer forty minutes" at my Android phone, as opposed to faffing about going through the menus.

Comment

Samsung.

But what if GCHQ think you mean the timer on a bomb? Makes you think...

Comment

Samsung.

Your voice commands have to be digitized, go to remote servers and their actions sent back again by their very design; it's not the TV spying on you and sending your conversations to Samsung.

There is a question what the provider does with this data, but it may well be using it to improve the service.
                      As always with these things, it's the communication that's the main problem. The privacy notice from Samsung seemed to be calculated to cause maximum outrage (especially the unspecified "third party" part). Companies that are gathering and using data like this just need to be upfront about exactly what they're doing with it (and indeed for certain types of data they have a legal obligation to do so). Obviously they want to cover their bases by phrasing it as broadly as possible, but that's exactly what gets people worked up.

Also, it really shouldn't have caught them by surprise. There was a similar kerfuffle over LG's voice recognition last year.

Comment

Samsung.

I'm not worried - I have a Scottish accent, and when you have one of those trying to get any voice recognition software to interpret what you're saying is a catastrophe wrapped in a clusterfuck.

Comment

Samsung.

blameless wrote: I'm not worried - I have a Scottish accent, and when you have one of those trying to get any voice recognition software to interpret what you're saying is a catastrophe wrapped in a clusterfuck.
                          That's true actually.

Three of us were once playing with Siri on an iPhone — me (Lancashire), my then-girlfriend (Glasgow) and her male friend (Denmark).

Siri had no problem at all until it had to cope with Glaswegian.

Comment

Samsung.

And here is the evidence

Comment

Samsung.

It's very useful in certain contexts. If you're alone in an office, for example, or in the car.
                              Okay, 'in the car' I get, obviously. But why specifically when alone in an office?

Comment

Samsung.

Jah Womble wrote: Okay, 'in the car' I get, obviously. But why specifically when alone in an office?
                                Sharing a room with twenty people all talking to their computers doesn't bear thinking about.

But it's quite useful if you work from home or have your own office.

Comment

Samsung.

Toby Gymshorts wrote: The smart interface on my new Samsung is really simple to navigate and a joy to use. I get around the privacy thing by simply not logging in to any of the apps and not using voice activation.

Lucky man.

Does that ease of use extend to the web browser? Mine is beyond belief in terms of clunkiness.

Comment

Samsung.

What is smart about smart TVs, please?

Comment

Samsung.

The way in which they allow electronics companies to hoover cash out of the pockets of credulous men.

Comment

Samsung.

TonTon wrote: What is smart about smart TVs, please?
                                        They're connected to the internet.

Comment

Samsung.

HORN wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts
                                          The smart interface on my new Samsung is really simple to navigate and a joy to use. I get around the privacy thing by simply not logging in to any of the apps and not using voice activation.

Lucky man.

Does that ease of use extend to the web browser? Mine is beyond belief in terms of clunkiness.
                                          I'll be honest, I haven't tried it. Web browsing on TV is done with my tablet, via Screen Mirroring. It's much easier.

Comment

Samsung.

I have a Chromecast, which I use all the time.

YouTube and online video, podcasts, internet radio, slide presentations, Plex server, Netflix.
                                            Pretty good for £30.

Comment

Samsung.

I have Chromecast too, but that won't just display the tablet screen. Screen Mirroring does, via Anynet+.

Comment

Samsung.

I read that as pies server, and was excited for a moment. What is a Plex server?

I get youtube and netflix on my tivo so I'm good. I don't really know what the other things are, or if I do I don't like them.

Comment

Samsung.

Toby Gymshorts wrote: I have Chromecast too, but that won't just display the tablet screen. Screen Mirroring does, via Anynet+.
                                                  I'm fairly sure it only works on Kitkat/4.4 devices (and not all of them). I have a Moto G and it works pretty well.

But I've only ever really used screen mirroring to display slides with the Slides app.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X