I just don't recognise anyone anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, Uma Thurman was on the Today Show this morning, commenting how strange it was that everyone thought she looked so different and speaking about getting different make up in future.

This is from the press tour in January when she looked like Uma Thurman and she looked exactly like Uma Thurman this morning.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote:
      Fair enough.

Except that she's recognisably Uma Thurman in that picture, without looking exactly like her.

Comment

Maybe it was all just industrial quantities of make-up.

Comment

That's good news, dglh. Somebody out there knows who those other five people are, don't they? Cuz I don't.

Comment

Somebody post a Today show pic from this morning if they find one.

Comment

Good.

This was funny .. Buzzfeed asking men on the red carpet the kind of questions women are always asked.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kimberleydadds/eddie-redmayne-can-you-give-us-a-twirl#.oywNpZxDD

Eddie Redmayne gets all the laughs but I really liked Nick Cave's contribution.

Comment

Second from right, it's nice to see Álvaro Negredo enjoying life away from Manchester City.

Comment

They are the rest of the 'star cast' of NBC's new Thursday night show which follows the True Detective style one-and-done eight episode format.

Comment

Because suddenly she doesn't look like the person we 'knew' any more, and it prompts discussion. If you live in the public eye and suddenly your public face changes, it's going to jolt people. And because she is someone that people like, and the idea that she thought she had to have surgery for us to keep liking her is a bit ... sad. To me anyway. And I don't think it's a huge leap from "There are no good roles for older women" to "maybe I'll have a bit of surgery to look younger". Which, again, is a bit sad. And worthy of conversation.
                    That would be fair enough... Only that's not what's happening here. There are 3 pages of "oooh doesn't she look funny/like Eamonn holmes/like a science experiment oh and didn't she used to be hotter etc.
                    Not only is it not clear whether she HAS had surgery - so the whole thread is based on supposition - it's really not clear what if anything the previous 3 pages add to the discourse about beauty, sexism in the film industry, or aging in general.
                    There's probably a really good discussion to be had around those things. And meregreen on page 1 touched on it, (before the thread plunged right back into voyeurism)
                    This thread certainly isn't it.

Comment

Well, I thought we sort of did that already on the Zellweger thread. I'm in the meregreen camp on this one. It's a shame, I think, when people lose that 'thing' that we found endearing about them. Whether it's Zellweger's squinty eyes or Thurman's overall quite-loveliness. For my money, even the best-executed plastic surgery looks worse than the real person did aging gracefully. But of course, I'm not an aging woman, and it's not my face.

Comment

I don't think you can see the difference between the "best executed plastic surgery" and "people ageing gracefully". I know of several people who've had work done and who are regularly lauded as examples of "ageing well" or "gracefully".

Comment

For my money, even the best-executed plastic surgery looks worse than the real person did aging gracefully. But of course, I'm not an aging woman, and it's not my face.
                          And you don't move in the kind of circles where anyone actually gives a sh*t about such things.

Well, I'm guessing.

Comment

That's to WOM, I take it. Ha, yes.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                              For my money, even the best-executed plastic surgery looks worse than the real person did aging gracefully. But of course, I'm not an aging woman, and it's not my face.
                              And you don't move in the kind of circles where anyone actually gives a sh*t about such things.

Well, I'm guessing.
                              Well, depends what 'move' means. I work with a number of 50+ women who've [clearly, obviously, inarguably] had work done. I think it makes them look awful.

However, I can't objectively say it looks aesthetically awful or it's just my bias against invasive surgery for vanity's sake telling me that they look awful.

Either way, I guess I just wish women wouldn't.

Comment

Ditto - although obviously I was thinking more of 'Hollywood pressure' with the original comment.

Comment

Well, I'd be interested to know whether getting cosmetic surgery in Hollywood suddenly opens up a lot of roles that would otherwise have been closed off to you due to the 'ravages' of aging.

Comment

Well, yes is the short answer.

Comment

How would that even be knowable, though?

Comment

From actor friends being advised by their agents that they're only going to be considered for roles older than their actual age, as women of their age are expected to look younger, and they will be competing with women who have had surgery, for a start.

Comment

well that's it. This whole thread is about a non airbrushed picture where you can see that a 44 year old woman has some wrinkles, and doesn't always have her eyes open exactly the same.

so if the norm for women aged 50 to look like they are 40, then someone who actually looks 50 is only going to get granny roles.

BTW julianne moore is 54 years old. I can't fucking believe that.

Comment

so if the norm for women aged 50 to look like they are 40

You can blame Laura Linney for that - she's 51, and looks like she only finished being a thirtysomething a couple of months ago.

Comment

dglh is right. I just saw the Today clip and she looks just like the old Uma.

Comment

Er...the Uma we've come to know.

Comment

apparently she didn't use mascara.

Comment

Duncan Scotsman off Dragon's Den is apparently 66. Still can't believe it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X