Wearing pyjamas/dressing gowns outside the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there's anybody who knows what it's like elsewhere, it's you.

Yes. I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm AND a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb.

When I say 'elsewhere' these days, I mean 'places other than where I work', seeing as that's more or less all I do. The office I work at during the week is surrounded by kiosks encrusted with tousle-haired beer-drinkers.The place I work at at the weekends is a kiosk encrusted with tousle-haired beer drinkers.

Comment

I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but I've noticed that the blokes here who hang around on the street and outside kiosks drinking over-strength canned beer have all got thick, tousled hair.
      I was going to make this point. Also true of Frankfurt am Main, FWIW, where they can be seen at 8 am leaning on tables by the local kiosk and drinking Henninger out of cans. I expect that they drink Anker by treibeis, and probably speak a bit less (meaning essentially none).

Comment

Boris Johnson has ruined thick, tousled hair.

And sex, for that matter.
        Oh, I don't know. I can see that he might pass muster as a suitable 'delay' image.

Comment

I'll try slotting him in between Thatcher and Jimmy Savile and see how he works out.

Comment

There's a fine line here between "Delay" and "Abort"

Comment

Johnson doesn't have thick hair.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: There's a fine line here between "Delay" and "Abort"

Comment

TonTon wrote: Johnson doesn't have thick hair.
                  Johnson, Cameron, Osborne, etc - their scalp concealment schemes are even more complicated than their tax arrangements.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: I expect that they drink Anker by treibeis, and probably speak a bit less (meaning essentially none).
                    The ones outside the kiosks near my office drink either Elephant or, if the month's drawing to an end, Oettinger. They communicate with each other in a hoarse growl, usually using only the phrases "Du Arschfotze" and "Iss doch so".

The ones outside the kiosk where I work don't have thick, tousled hair because they only spend two, rather than twelve, hours a day there. They drink König Pilsener and have the thick Hamburg accent that's easy to impersonate to a certain degree, but impossible to master if you weren't born here.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                      Yes. I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm AND a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb.
                      Iggy Putt?

You could rename the kiosk as the 1969th hole, were it not for the severe No Fun aesthetic of German miniature golf courses.

Comment

treibeis wrote: The ones outside the kiosks near my office drink either Elephant or, if the month's drawing to an end, Oettinger.
                        One difference between the UK and Germany is the lack of trampjuice for sale at your typical beer vendor.

As a result Munich's winos tend to drink Augustiner Helles, which is what everyone drinks (including me). Oettinger's famously cheap and nasty but hard to find in Bavaria. After that, the only option you're left with is Lidl and Aldi beer, which is 25¢ a bottle (assuming you take the bottles back).

Comment

Either the German tramp demographic has become more wealthy since we left, or The Hamburg and Munich contingents are particularly well off.

One of the sure signs of Manhattan below 125th Street becoming largely an enclave for the rich (as well as an indication of Giulani style policing) is that one just doesn't see "professional" drunks on the street anymore. It's all sloppy amateurs.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Either the German tramp demographic has become more wealthy since we left, or The Hamburg and Munich contingents are particularly well off.
                            The regulars at my kiosk aren't tramps. They just drink like tramps. (By that, I mean their drinking style - they stand around tables in front of a kiosk - rather than the amount they consume.)

So far, I've only had one tramp encounter, last Sunday. The guilty party ended up falling over, dragging the table with her in the process and breaking one of the glass bowls containing the free peanuts (Sundays only). When I helped her up, she punched me in the mouth, albeit unintentionally.

I woudn't have minded (that much), but she'd got pissed beforehand. Either that or she'd brought her drink with her, as I can't remember serving her. I only became aware that she was there when she started smashing up the fixtures and fittings.

Comment

I expect in Germany that you have to do a two-year Abitur to become a tramp.

Comment

And a series of very low paid stages at kiosks throughout the land.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I expect in Germany that you have to do a two-year Abitur to become a tramp.
                                  One of my ex-girlfriends comes from a rural area in Westphalia. One of her big brothers was a gelernter Knecht, i.e. he'd spent three years training to be a farm labourer.

I've only a vague idea about what the job entails, but I was surprised that, after getting all the certificates and doing all the exams, the official job title is Knecht.

Comment

Working...
                                  X