Wearing pyjamas/dressing gowns outside the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excusable early morning behaviour or the height of scumbag laziness?

I'm pondlife, me but even I can be arsed to get dressed vaguely properly for a trip to the shops.

Proper scumbag laziness is not getting out of your clothes to go to bed in the first place.

Comment

Three Times A Reddy, earlier:

Comment

It's an acceptable look if you are a senior Mafioso hoping to be deemed unfit to stand trial, but in the normal run of events I'd make the effort to get dressed. That said, I don't even like going outside in sweat pants (or jogging bottoms as we used to know them) so may be a bit fussy on this one.

Comment

Comment

Is it ok to pop to the shop in your slippers?

Comment

Yes. Of course.

Comment

No, of course not.

Comment

In fact, it's a long way from ok to even own slippers.

Comment

hobbes wrote: In fact, it's a long way from ok to even own slippers.
                    Absolutely correct. I disapprove of pyjamas and dressing gowns as well.

Comment

My sister shops at Asda in Skelmersdale (which is a whole thread in itself).

She says she sticks out, as she's one of the few people not wearing pyjamas.

Comment

Does it matter how far apart home and shop are? Or what sort of shop it might be?

Comment

It all depends how far it is to the shop. If it's just across the road it's fine to wear slippers. Any further and it's an affectation. To wear pyjamas in the street though, that's all a bit Frank Gallagher and trampy.

The wife insists we take our shoes off in the house, so I've been forced to accept slipperware.

Comment

hobbes wrote: In fact, it's a long way from ok to even own slippers.
                            What do you hip teeny boppers wear these days?

Comment

The Asda in Clayton Green is right next to the sports centre and gym, which must explain why all the people buying iced buns and cans of Tennant's in the place at 10 in the morning are wearing jogging bottoms.

Comment

Why do people wear pyjamas full stop?

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: My sister shops at Asda in Skelmersdale (which is a whole thread in itself).

She says she sticks out, as she's one of the few people not wearing pyjamas.
                                  You get a lot of onesies in the Asda in Queensferry, sometimes with full make-up. I used to wear a pyjama top to go out in, but it was the late '70s and I was a bit of a dick.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Why do people wear pyjamas full stop?
                                    A mate of mine said he started wearing pyjamas when his daughter reached an age at which she felt uncomfortable seeing him naked if she happened to be up and about when he popped out of the bedroom for an early-morning wee.

I can understand the bit about the daughter feeling uncomfortable (as far as a man who’s never been a teenage girl and has never had teenage daughters can understand things like that), but I still don’t understand why you have to wear pyjamas to cover yourself up.

Comment

Well, yes, there are other alternatives.

Pyjamas - nah, they ride up uncomfortably in bed (FWICR) and always look a bit, well, skanky outside of it.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Jah Womble
                                        Why do people wear pyjamas full stop?
                                        A mate of mine said he started wearing pyjamas when his daughter reached an age at which she felt uncomfortable seeing him naked if she happened to be up and about when he popped out of the bedroom for an early-morning wee.

I can understand the bit about the daughter feeling uncomfortable (as far as a man who’s never been a teenage girl and has never had teenage daughters can understand things like that), but I still don’t understand why you have to wear pyjamas to cover yourself up.
                                        Yes, I've reached a similar point but it's boxer shorts if she's lucky or "Don't peek" if she's not.

Comment

meregreen wrote: The wife insists we take our shoes off in the house, so I've been forced to accept slipperware.
                                          Slippers are shoes too.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                                            Originally posted by hobbes
                                            In fact, it's a long way from ok to even own slippers.
                                            Absolutely correct. I disapprove of pyjamas and dressing gowns as well.
                                            I firmly agree with both of these statements, but there should be some sort of special dispensation for Hugh Hefner, lest he start wandering around in the nip instead.

Comment

We need to give Arthur Dent a free pass as well.

Comment

If you wear slippers outside of the house, they become "outdoor shoes" which defeats the object of not treading outdoor shit (lit.) around your house. If you have separate slippers for indoor and outdoor use, fine.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Why do people wear pyjamas full stop?
                                                  Er, what? What do you wear in the morning when you have your breakfast?

I love pyjamas. I practically live in them in the winter (well as long as I don't need to leave the house.)

Pyjamas - nah, they ride up uncomfortably in bed (FWICR) and always look a bit, well, skanky outside of it.
                                                  As if my pyjamas look skanky. Obviously you need to buy snazzier ones.

As for the proper etiquette, I would say it's never fine to leave the house in a dressing gown, but pyjamas/slippers are ok if you're getting a paper first thing in the morning and only have a few hundred yards to walk. Definitely not ok on the school run as some local parents found out. (A bit mystified by the "wearing leggings over her pyjamas" thing in that article. How does that even work?)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X