The Thatcher Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Thatcher Museum

I once quipped to a reporter from the Grantham Journal that the only monument to Thatcher the town needed was all the empty retail units on the high street. They didn't print my biting bon mot but that was probably less to do with political censorship and more to do with the fact I'd been asked about parking spaces in the market square.

But fuck those guys anyway. And fuck the guys making a Thatcher museum. It'll be dry as all shite and the gift shop will be wank. Museums should be reserved for interesting things, not dead old crows who fucked up most of the country just to line her mate's pockets.

The only possible way I'd visit it is if they hung her skeleton from the ceiling like the whale in the Natural History Museum, or if they did a musical act similar to the Hall Of Presidents or Country Bear Jamboree with all the paedophiles she helped cover up. And even then it's only be to say "Here, this is a bit rum. Not sure I approve of this at all."

And, I can't stress enough, the gift shop will be terrible.

The Thatcher Museum

At least it'll have replicas of dinosaurs. Even if they're only political ones. (Do you see what I did there eh? Eh?)

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

How long before the first arson attack - more or less than two seconds?

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Depends on how quickly I can get there.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

I think the gift shop would be brilliant.
          I'd definitely purchase a mug and maybe a t-shirt.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Some of the interactive games for the kids will be fun. Sink the Belgrano, whack-a-miner, that kind of thing.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

I hope the exit is marked with a sign saying "OUT OUT OUT"

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Toby Gymshorts wrote: Depends on how quickly I can get there.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Let it open and see how it goes.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Well, y'know … did these mythical, spontaneous, UK-wide street parties we were promised upon the death of Thatcher ever happen?

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

The Trafalgar Square do was pretty lively, and people travelled miles for it, even in poor weather.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

"Ding, dong, the witch is dead" got to number two in the midweek download chart, but the BBC refused to play it.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Manson's freaking me out, by the way.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Lame-ass gift shops typically self-identify and bring in unrelated tat to improve their bottom line. It'll be just a few weeks before you can get a limited edition Dr Who Yahtzee with collectible Dalek dice cup. That and red phone box tea tins and Corgi die cast double decker busses and other UK-based cliche merch.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Wasn't it Maggie herself who said "Keep Calm and Carry On"?

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: Manson's freaking me out, by the way.
                                Lose the beard and it's late-Johnny Rotten gurning on stage during a performance.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

WOM wrote: Lame-ass gift shops typically self-identify and bring in unrelated tat to improve their bottom line. It'll be just a few weeks before you can get a limited edition Dr Who Yahtzee with collectible Dalek dice cup. That and red phone box tea tins and Corgi die cast double decker busses and other UK-based cliche merch.
                                  And glow stars. Don't forget glow stars.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

They'd do a roaring trade in mini-effigies, and Maggie dolls in coffins a la Sid Vicious.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

I'm quite certain that the Maggie sycophants are quite unhappy that they can't feed at the public trough in the manner of her dim boyfriend Ronnie, and the rather ridiculous US tradition of "Presidential Libraries", which also provide all kinds of opportunities for taking care of the boys.

He still has another two years in office, but there is already a rather unseemly fight over the location of Obama's pile among Cicago, New York and Hawaii.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Unless my mum's chucked them out, I still have a pair of these somewhere. (Ironic 18th birthday present from my friends.)

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Danger of broken toes, there.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Only if he wore them outside the house, which is a different thread entirely.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Ha. Wouldn't you be tempted to kick the fridge door, repeatedly, very hard?

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

Certainly - I wouldn't risk wearing them while moving a collection of anvils or for cutting the grass with a scythe.

Comment

The Thatcher Museum

ursus arctos wrote: He still has another two years in office, but there is already a rather unseemly fight over the location of Obama's pile among Cicago, New York and Hawaii
                                                  How about Nairobi as a nice gesture?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X