Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First mobile phone

One of me later pre-smart phones was this, or very similar:

But without the picture on the back, obviously.

It was a fairly old model but I wanted something really basic, plain and simple. I was just getting into it and used to the logic of the menus, when I took my son and his friend out in a little rented boat. In one cove we had to wade to shore. The phone was in my pocket....

Comment

First mobile phone

Extraordinary reading this and remembering that Nokia is now more or less dead as a brand.

Comment

First mobile phone

Wasn't that long ago when the leading manufacturers in the UK would have been Nokia, Ericsson and Siemens.

And Nokia had about 50% of the market.

Comment

First mobile phone

Sam wrote: I resisted until I went to university (in 2003), when my mum, anxious to keep in touch but knowing I didn't want to get one, bought herself a new one specifically so she could give me her old one.
          Pretty much exactly the same for me, but I managed to hold back until about 2005. For the first couple of years I used it as a landline, leaving it in the flat when I went out. It was this model, I think :

...which was incredibly annoying as it wouldn't let you see who was calling unless you picked up the call, thus making it impossible to filter calls.

I never had a Nokia until I was given one for work a few months ago. I fucking hate mobiles, I wish I could get away with not having one.

Comment

First mobile phone

In the mid-late '90s, I had the usual starter phones: LG flip and Samsung flip. Both were fine.

But this, no joke, is the best one I've owned. Palm Pre. Good texting and decent screen.

I have a work BlackBerry Bold now, and the screen is absurdly small.

Comment

First mobile phone

TonTon wrote: This was mine - mid-90s?

The Dancall dc1 is more than just another mobile phone - It's smart as well as simple. Orange aim to keep everything simple so the Dancall dc1 phone offers the most advanced features yet is very easy to use.
              Phone Features

LCD Screen including a 3 line Information Display
              Phone directory memory storing up to 85 names and numbers
              Compact & lightweight
              Menu driven operation
              Caller ID incoming & outgoing
              Read SMS Text Messages
              Included slim NiCad battery gives up to16 hours standby or 60 minutes talktime
              One key calling
              Any key answer
              Adjustable tone and volume ringer
              Stores last 10 dialled, received & missed calls
              Signal, battery & status indicators
              Phone security lock
              SIM card security lock
              Keypad lock
              Restricted dialling option
              Complete with rapid Mains Charger
              Sounds exactly like my current phone, except my current one doesn't have one key calling or any key answer, or as far as I'm aware a restricted dialling option, or a SIM card security lock.

I might have already mentioned that my current phone is seriously low-tech.

(And yet it still, undoubtedly, has literally more computing power than that contained in Apollo 11.)

Comment

First mobile phone

Bought from Asda with my staff discount for £30 in August 1999. I was terrified that you'd need to phone a premium rate line to top it up.

The day after I bought it, I went on a pub racing trip. The programme for the day at Ripon said that 'mobile phones are not to be used for gambling purposes' so I wasn't keen to use it lest I be bundled off the course by security.

My uncle used the Nokia with the long battery life, overleaf, and had a number of texts showing images of shagging made up of punctuation marks. They worked on the three-line display of the Nokia but on the one-line of the Philips C12, I just got a list of commas and brackets scrolling across my screen.

Comment

First mobile phone

My dad has a 10 year old 3210 on pay-as-you-go. It gets turned on about three times a year, when he is 'expecting a call'.

Anyway, it was given to him as a christmas present and whoever gave it to him set the ring tone to 'we wish you a merry christmas'. It still has that ring tone as he doesn't know how to change it and even if he did, couldn't be bothered to.

Anyway, I have noticed that this is quite a common scenario. Being sat on a bus in July, then hearing the unmistakable electronic high pitched rendition of various festive tune, followed up by tye sight of a panicked pensioner restling with an answer button.

This crazy world.

Comment

First mobile phone

Same as Ursus and GY. But in red.

My mum is still loyal to Nokia, and has just upgraded to a Lumia. First time I'd heard of a Lumia.

Comment

First mobile phone

Another Ericsson GA628 here, bought in 1999 when I moved to London. I had a 1-year contract with it, but by the time it ran out in Feb 2000 I decided that having a mobile was a bloody nuisance so I sold the thing.

Didn't get my second mobile until early 2002, as by that time they'd exploded in popularity and were pretty much the only way to contact people when you were going on a night out (my mates had stopped planning them properly because they all had mobiles and could wing it).

I don't think I've ever owned a Nokia phone, incidentally.

Comment

First mobile phone

steveeeeeeeee wrote: These days, I roll with a Nokia 105 which is a superb phone, I probably charge it once every 10 days. I've got a work iPhone, which I use to check emails when I'm in the pub.

I'm the other way round, in that the office have given me a Nokia 108 for work. It makes phone calls and I text occasionally. Battery lasts the week.

Comment

First mobile phone

Another one who had a Phillips Savvy, and the joy of having to read the contents of a text message before finding out who sent it. And having to go to a shop to buy a BT Cellnet voucher to top it up. The battery did last over a week, mind you.

Comment

First mobile phone

I think that I've owned pretty much everyone of those Nokias that have been mentioned. Which is why I'm the proud owner of a Lumia. My second one...

Comment

First mobile phone

Gangster Octopus wrote: I think that I've owned pretty much everyone of those Nokias that have been mentioned. Which is why I'm the proud owner of a Lumia. My second one...
                              I like Windows Phone OS. And the build quality of Lumias is generally very good.

Problem is, half the software I use on Android just isn't available on Windows Phone.

Comment

First mobile phone

I was a total Nokia fanboy for years. As well as the 8310 mentioned upthread, I had a black N95 which was marvellous in every way. Our ways parted when I got an N97, which was just horrendous.

Comment

First mobile phone

October 2000, a Panasonic:

Comment

First mobile phone

longeared wrote: Another one who had a Phillips Savvy, and the joy of having to read the contents of a text message before finding out who sent it.
                                    Blow me, I'd clean forgotten that. What a weird phone it was, in hindsight, off up a cul-de-sac of Philips' devising that no other phone ever went down. It had its own emoticons you could add into a text message — so long as the recipient also had a Savvy, so whether I ever actually used these (I did get a Savvy because friends already had it) is a moot point. It's the one-line display that I remember most about texting on it. It really was a crap phone.
                                    On the other hand, it did what I needed it to do, as someone who didn't even like mobile phones, and yes it probably still had more computing power than the Apollo astronauts got to the moon with. And you could probably have thrown it into a brick wall and still picked it up and used it again without any fear of it being significantly impaired.

Comment

First mobile phone

The Museum of Nokia Phones

Relive the days when a phone was a phone.

Comment

First mobile phone

I currently have this:

I charged it up last Tuesday. Still says full battery.

Comment

First mobile phone

I resisted having a phone for a long time but was compelled to get one for my first job after uni (it was sales and we had to text our boss each day with how many sales we'd done). My uncle worked for Comet so got me a good deal on this; I never had a Nokia brick that so many people had. This Samsung phone was good, I had it for 4 years I think. If the camera hadn't been so poor I would've happily kept it. I loved the blue colour of the screen.

Nokia's decision making in the last 10 years is of the "exactly how not to do things" magnitude.

Comment

First mobile phone

Smartphones did to Nokia what digital photography did to Polaroid.

They can't even make good dumbphones anymore. I had one for a while and it was rubbish.

Comment

First mobile phone

Toby Gymshorts wrote: I was a total Nokia fanboy for years. As well as the 8310 mentioned upthread, I had a black N95 which was marvellous in every way. Our ways parted when I got an N97, which was just horrendous.
                                              I had the N73 and loved the camera on it. The text was lovely too. I'll never forget my first pre-data bundle bill though. I did an actual real double take when I saw the bottom line of £98.

Comment

First mobile phone

Antonio Pulisao wrote: Smartphones did to Nokia what digital photography did to Polaroid.
                                                I think the rot had set in before that. They'd also been wrongfooted by the rise of flip-phones and phones with cameras. It was at this point that LG and, in particular, Samsung started to gain market share.

Comment

First mobile phone

That's true. Nokia never really bothered with flip phones. From what I have read, Nokia had predicted that flip phones would be a temporary fad before the rise of smartphones. They were dead right. But Apple beat them to the party.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X