Employment law advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment law advice

In the vain hope that someone hear may be able to offer advice.

My friend is currently suspended from work pending an investigation into his activities. He works for a government agency in west Africa - and I've been asked by him to attend his interview next week. I've seen the allegations against him and, quite frankly, are very upsetting. He is a British Sikh and single. He is accused of a number of things, all minor or inconsequential. But he has also been accused of sexually propositioning his personal trainer and exposing himself. This is not true. My friend is not gay and has never compromised his position with a person of either sex. It appears to be based upon misconceptions and a whole load of African homophobia - my friend admits to being camp, and it has rattled his African colleagues. He has also shown me a performance review from his line manager - which states that his campness can affect the perceptions of his customers, and that he dresses in a 'flamboyant' manner.

Isn't this illegal? I thought that the use of loaded language in staff reviews was banned because of its subjective nature - and it's coded negatively because of its link to a particular sexual preference. My friend is now on sick leave, with no prospects of returning to his post and his reputation in tatters.

Employment law advice

It could well be actionable (if not outright illegal) in the US or UK, but unless he has an express agreement subjecting his employment relationship to the laws of such a jurisdiction, I'm not sure he has a claim.

This entire issue just seems to be getting worse in much of Sub Saharan Africa.

Comment

Employment law advice

ursus arctos wrote: It could well be actionable (if not outright illegal) in the US or UK, but unless he has an express agreement subjecting his employment relationship to the laws of such a jurisdiction, I'm not sure he has a claim.

This entire issue just seems to be getting worse in much of Sub Saharan Africa.
      He's employed by the British Government - his line manager is British.

Comment

Employment law advice

Then there is an increased possibility of recourse, though you need a UK employment lawyer or union rep for substantive advice.

Comment

Employment law advice

This Stonewall leaflet for gay activists around the world talks of the role DFID and the British embassy or consulate should play in supporting. They might be able to offer consultation, the case as you've described would certainly be embarrassing to a British Government making much of its progressive stance on equality.

Comment

Employment law advice

Thanks Nef

Comment

Employment law advice

Good luck to your friend VT, sounds like a nightmare.

Comment

Employment law advice

What a bunch of shits. If all else fails I'm prepared to fly out there and crack some skulls. But only if the wankers involved aren't very good at fighting.

Comment

Employment law advice

I'm an HR person and this is horrible.

A union rep would be useful in this, but I suppose it's too late.

Good luck.

Comment

Employment law advice

Yeah. Join a union, people.

Nef's "embarrass them" strategy strikes me as your mate's best bet.

Comment

Working...
                    X