OTF Sweary Style Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I think this slipped under the radar on the board, but I was amused by this internal email—presumably to the subs—from the editor of the Sunday Sport.
    Code:
    Sent: 23 July 2014 13:25
    To: All-Departments
    Subject: Style Guide

SHIT: Full out in copy and in headlines

FUCK: F**k in copy and in headlines

CUNT: C**t in copy and headlines

WANK: Full out in copy, w**k in headlines

TWAT: Full out in copy, tw*t in headlines

COCK: Full out in copy and in headlines

BOLLOCKS: Full out in copy and in headlines

BELLEND: One word, full out in copy and headlines
    Now I'm all for consistency, but I haven't made up my mind regarding bell-end/bellend.

However I do favour nob/nobend/nobhead over knob/knobend/knobhead.

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Lads' mags are even weirder though regarding the bare breasts/swearing combination.

Zoo - loads of tits, asterisked curses for anything stronger than "crap".

FHM - see-through to nip at most, uncensored "fucks" as far as the eye can see.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

On an adult animation note, Family Guy' s bad-taste remit is stretched to its broadest limits, but the sight of a middle finger proudly brandished is either blurred or pixelated.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

ian.64 wrote: On an adult animation note, Family Guy' s bad-taste remit is stretched to its broadest limits, but the sight of a middle finger proudly brandished is either blurred or pixelated.
        Not on the DVDs, they're not.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I think this slipped under the radar on the board, but I was amused by this internal email—presumably to the subs—from the editor of the Sunday Sport.
          Code:
          Sent: 23 July 2014 13:25
          To: All-Departments
          Subject: Style Guide

SHIT: Full out in copy and in headlines

FUCK: F**k in copy and in headlines

CUNT: C**t in copy and headlines

WANK: Full out in copy, w**k in headlines

TWAT: Full out in copy, tw*t in headlines

COCK: Full out in copy and in headlines

BOLLOCKS: Full out in copy and in headlines

BELLEND: One word, full out in copy and headlines
          Now I'm all for consistency, but I haven't made up my mind regarding bell-end/bellend.

However I do favour nob/nobend/nobhead over knob/knobend/knobhead.
          Does "full out" mean that it can't be used at all, or that it can appear uncensored?

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I assumed it meant fully blocked out. So 'Shit' has to be '****' whereas 'Fuck' is 'F**k'.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Sam wrote: I assumed it meant fully blocked out. So 'Shit' has to be '****' whereas 'Fuck' is 'F**k'.
              Full out means spelled out fully.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I was just outside the office having a fag when I was hit by the realisation that the best swear word is undoubtedly shitehawk.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I'm quite fond of hobbes' wankhammer.

Behave yourselves.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Occasionally in text perhaps, but I can't say I've ever seen 'sh*t' written out in full in any newspaper headline. Or been aware of that being policy for any UK publication, even The Sport.

The jury's out on the latter two words, though why there'd be a specific policy for 'bell-end', I've no idea.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

'Manhood' is the euphemism for male genitalia favoured by the more prurient tabs, isn't it?

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Yes, generally used in a report that features the word 'romp' in its headline.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

The coyness is very creepy and far more offputting than a barrage of swear words would be.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Toby Gymshorts wrote: I'm quite fond of hobbes' wankhammer.

Behave yourselves.
                            Cloughie had it right, you shithouse.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Bit harsh.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I like a good swearfest in 19th century novels:

"D___ you to h___" exclaimed the ruffian. "By G___, I shall see you hanged, that you may go to the d___" ...

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

The coyness is very creepy and far more offputting than a barrage of swear words would be.
                                  Quite - and even more so the litany of 'grooming' words employed in descriptions of young women (still) adorning their pages, of the 'blossoming Cheryl shows us her charms'-type.

Have to say, I still use asterisks (on here, anyway) - mainly to segregate swears from standard language. That way, they maintain an impact and a respectful level of 'taboo'. That's my excuse anyway.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Occasionally in text perhaps, but I can't say I've ever seen 'sh*t' written out in full in any newspaper headline. Or been aware of that being policy for any UK publication, even The Sport.
                                    I seem to remember the Graun spelling out "fucked" in a headline when Martin Sixsmith resigned. I'd be surprised if it hadn't quoted used "shit" at some point.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Toby Gymshorts wrote: Bit harsh.
                                      Nothing personal, blud.

I used to work with someone who worked for the Sport. He told me that there was always super-strength grot lying around the office and that one day he cut lots of pictures out of lots of magazines, opened the news editor's umbrella, dropped them into it and closed it. So when the news editor went to the cashpoint at lunchtime and it started to rain...

I appreciate that this is puerile and not very WSC, but it does make me chuckle. I also appreciate that the most alarming point in this post is that the Sport has a news editor.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

tee rex wrote: I like a good swearfest in 19th century novels:

"D___ you to h___" exclaimed the ruffian. "By G___, I shall see you hanged, that you may go to the d___" ...
                                        Am I the only person trying to work out where he may go to?

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Toby Gymshorts wrote: I'm quite fond of hobbes' wankhammer.

Behave yourselves.
                                          Too kind, too kind.

My current favourite exclamation of annoyance is in a similar vein. "Shithammers!"

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Am I the only person trying to work out where he may go to?
                                            Well, I was working with 'devil' until you posted.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

hobbes wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts
                                              I'm quite fond of hobbes' wankhammer.

Behave yourselves.
                                              Too kind, too kind.

My current favourite exclamation of annoyance is in a similar vein. "Shithammers!"
                                              Personally, I don't believe „Arschgebäck“ can be bettered.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Buttered, but not bettered?

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Sam
                                                  I assumed it meant fully blocked out. So 'Shit' has to be '****' whereas 'Fuck' is 'F**k'.
                                                  Full out means spelled out fully.
                                                  So "wank" has to be "W**K" in a headline, but they can have headlines with "COCK" fully spelled out?

Is "wank" that naughty, or "cock" (presumably not referring to the fowl) not that naughty as it is here, or does this make no sense at all?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X