OTF Sweary Style Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Is "wank" that naughty, or "cock" (presumably not referring to the fowl) not that naughty as it is here, or does this make no sense at all?
    At the risk of massively overgeneralising, I get the sense that British media is more prudish (relatively) about sexual acts than anatomy, whereas American media (TV at least) can be surprisingly relaxed about acts and extremely uptight about anatomy or things. It's fascinating to see which stuff gets bleeped on, say, The Daily Show and what gets through. The mildest words (eg ass, bullshit) get bleeped, while a fairly graphic description of a sex act flies past the censors, provided the magic words aren't uttered.

All that said, I'm not sure there's a huge difference in the perceived obscenity of wank and cock over here. They're both relatively mild, but still not to be said in polite company.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Felicity, I guess so wrote: Buttered, but not bettered?
      Touché, mon brave!

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I despise the asterisking of swears. I really do. As if anyone reading "F*ck" thinks to themselves: There's a swearword in there, but clearly the editor has deemed it offensive so I'll just skip over it.

Nobody does. We all read it in our heads as "fuck".

If anything, it's emphasising how offensive it is, while still leaving the offending word in place.

It's the worst kind of censorship, the kind that leaves all of the meaningful, offending (if you're going to be offended) content in place while still reinforcing the idea that content should be censored.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Incandenza wrote: So "wank" has to be "W**K" in a headline, but they can have headlines with "COCK" fully spelled out?

Is "wank" that naughty, or "cock" (presumably not referring to the fowl) not that naughty as it is here, or does this make no sense at all?
          Cock and piss were deemed suitable for BBC2.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

'Cock' and 'Piss' are fairly mild, swears-wise, aren't they?

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I think GY has the dichotomy right, and that the US' obsession with body parts is also reflected in its attitude towards things like Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" at the Super Bowl.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I despise the asterisking of swears. I really do.
                Tough sh*t.

(And is it b*llocks 'the worst kind of censorship'. Get some perspective in your life.)

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Jah Womble wrote:
                  I despise the asterisking of swears. I really do.
                  Tough sh*t.

(And is it b*llocks 'the worst kind of censorship'. Get some perspective in your life.)
                  Well, OK. Fair point.

The most futile kind of censorship, then. Because it's prudish, yet conceals nothing.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

What asterisks 'conceal' isn't really the point. I use them (mainly humorously, it must be stressed) for the reasons I stated on the previous page. However, to elaborate:

If swears become part of the 'norm' in language, then we become slovenly and they lose all impact. Chucking in the odd asterisk goes a small way to preserving their taboo status. (Besides, we get enough unfettered swearing in normal conversation, no?)

Don't know about you, but I much preferred the days when hearing the 'f' word on a TV show was deemed worthy of mention the following day at school/work/whatever. These days? Nah. In the case of many sitcoms it's already replacing genuine wit, in my opinion.

Respect the swears. And they'll respect you. Or something.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I like it all out ini full, meself. I'm kinda with the red light man. No offence, like. Pricks.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I remember there being a "cunt" on the BBC and being quite surprised. It was a thing about Mosely.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I like it all out ini full, meself. I'm kinda with the red light man. No offence, like. Pricks.
                          Oh, I'm aware that almost nobody on here would agree with me, don't you worry about that. I'm not 'against' swearing at all, but spreading it about like so much marmalade shows a total lack of self-discipline to me, is all.

And my point upthread has been neither disproved nor bettered by anyone thus far.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Which point?

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Specifically the one about the gradually-diminished impact of swearing, ie, the rendering of these words to near-obsolete status.

But, you know, all of it really.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Oh ok. I get that argument. But I don't hold to it myself. I don't think swearing is special in that way.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Well, if repeat swearing depletes its impact then asterisking is part of the problem, because it allows people to insert swear words where they would otherwise be forbidden.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Oh ok. I get that argument. But I don't hold to it myself. I don't think swearing is special in that way.
                                    But it is, though - that's why we give it its own special bracket. (Besides which, I'm sure even you have circumstances in which - or people to whom - you wouldn't swear?)

That said, it's purely my opinion, no one else's. (Well, I'm sure it is somebody else's opinion, but I'm saying it here.)

Well, if repeat swearing depletes its impact then asterisking is part of the problem, because it allows people to insert swear words where they would otherwise be forbidden.
                                    Oh, I think asterisks have been around long enough for them to be less a part of the problem than they are the 'solution' (for want, etc). Besides which, they amuse me greatly.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

They are quite amusing.

Yeah, there are situations I swear less in. But that's because the people I'm talking to are knobs.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Truth to tell, my fifteen-year-old daughter has admonished me more than once for cussing. Perhaps things are gradually turning full circle?

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

ursus minor is like that, though I consider it part of his general contrarian bent.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I wish I didn't use the word 'cunt' as much, but until I find a word with the same meaning and impact, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I've mostly found it relatively straightforward to avoid. Just means you need to use more words and more inflection.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Tim Minchin's thoughts on censorship.

NSFW, obviously.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

Jah Womble wrote:
                                                  Oh, I'm aware that almost nobody on here would agree with me, don't you worry about that. I'm not 'against' swearing at all, but spreading it about like so much marmalade shows a total lack of self-discipline to me, is all.
                                                  Well, then don't swear. Or do swear. But for the love of God don't fucking s*ear.

It reminds me of the BBC broadcasting 'urban' music concerts -or wannabe 'urban' anyway- only to get all prissy about naughty words. They surely weren't expecting Twinkle, twinkle, little star, were they? It's their pious attempt at having the cake and eating it that's annoying.

Comment

OTF Sweary Style Guide

I make a point of not swearing generally, so when I do swear, it carries much more impact.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X