BBC Ukip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Ukip

I'm a fan of the BBC's factual stuff, especially their natural history, documentaries and the stuff on BBC World. And whilst it's not perfect, their world news operation still kicks the shit out of stuff like CNN. But dear God, this new channel sounds absolutely horrendous.

Our source, an anonymous independent producer who “despairs at the BBC brand being tarnished by this god-awful s**t-stain”, said:

"It’s worse than BBC Ukip - it’s what a Guardian reading BBC exec thinks people in Ukip want. It’s essentially the Top Gear channel."

Our source added: “Pitching to them is like something out of a Chris Morris sketch about TV commissioners. I went into a commissioning meeting and on the whiteboard there was the phrase ‘WHAT IS BROCEANOGRAPY?’ on it.”

BBC Ukip

Not sure the "ukip" comment is quite right, but it does look like BBC trying to be Dave. Which kind of undermines the case for a licence fee. The owners and executives of Dave itself must be livid to see publicly subsidised competition like this. Sub-BBC3 Garbage.

Comment

BBC Ukip

The BBC already have a channel for UKIP, called 'BBC1', with a spillover for BBC News 24

Comment

BBC Ukip

NHH wrote: The BBC already have a channel for UKIP, called 'BBC1', with a spillover for BBC News 24
        Do a Google search on "UKIP BBC bias" and it's rather hard to tell if the BBC is conspiring against them or promoting their agenda.

Comment

BBC Ukip

I think your perspective on the BBC's UKIP bias is whether you think their views should be given the same airtime as everyone else's put together, or whether you think they're a pathetic tinpot party that's just managed to get its first MP.

The BBC tends towards the former, but clearly not quite enough for some people.

Comment

BBC Ukip

NHH wrote: The BBC already have a channel for UKIP, called 'BBC1', with a spillover for BBC News 24
            This new one's for worldwide consumption, though. We don't get Beeb One in Abroad (which, Pointless aside, is less of a hardship than not getting BBC Two. Which isn't really a hardship if you've got a VPN. Or so I've heard).

Comment

BBC Ukip

As long as it doesn't mess up the channel numbers on freeview I'll not be arsed. I've only just learned them.

Comment

BBC Ukip

Life in the fast lane, eh SSC?

Comment

BBC Ukip

While it sounds Top Gear heavy, I'm not sure that the Louis Theroux and Graham Norton bits really fit in with the criticisms that the article comes up with.

Comment

BBC Ukip

Janik wrote: Life in the fast lane, eh SSC?
                    100 miles an hour. Possibly faster than that. Maybe as much as 104 miles an hour.

Comment

BBC Ukip

La Lanterne Rouge wrote: I think your perspective on the BBC's UKIP bias is whether you think their views should be given the same airtime as everyone else's put together, or whether you think they're a pathetic tinpot party that's just managed to get its first MP.

The BBC tends towards the former, but clearly not quite enough for some people.
                      To be fair Ukip won a national election, which matters in terms of the right to have coverage. And I would say a fair amount of BBC coverage regarding them is some kind of attempt to take-them-down, criticise or mock, so they're allowed their right to reply when that does occur.

They can't be starved of publicity, like many opposing them would probably prefer and attempts to take them down are usually exercises in preaching to the converted as your average Kipper or potential Kipper probably doesn't really identify with what the BBC thinks on these matters anyway.

It's kind of a nightmarish catch 22 for anti-Ukippers.

Comment

BBC Ukip

BROCEANOGRAPHY
                        Amazing.

Comment

BBC Ukip

Wait a minute Sam, I live in Abroad and get both BBC channels.

Comment

BBC Ukip

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: The owners and executives of Dave itself must be livid to see publicly subsidised competition like this. Sub-BBC3 Garbage.
                            Dave is half owned by the BBC

Comment

BBC Ukip

BBC Brit wants to be “the most interesting conversation in the bar” and is aimed at men aged between 25-44.
                              Yeah, because that's such an underserved audience.

Though, to be fair, if the sample schedule is representative rather than the best it will ever get, it's still much better than BBC World.

Comment

BBC Ukip

The BBC will be privatised for peanuts in the next government anyway, so it's all moot.

Comment

BBC Ukip

edit- supeseded by Southport Zeb.

Comment

BBC Ukip

Not sure if Graham Norton will be pleased about being on this channel.

Comment

BBC Ukip

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                      BBC Brit wants to be “the most interesting conversation in the bar” and is aimed at men aged between 25-44.
                                      Yeah, because that's such an underserved audience.
                                      Ha, this.

Comment

BBC Ukip

It won't be available in this country.

When the BBC is privatised though, expect it to look more like this.

Comment

BBC Ukip

beak wrote: Wait a minute Sam, I live in Abroad and get both BBC channels.
                                          I'm sure. I've been to that bit of Abroad myself. Their signal doesn't quite stretch down to the Río de la Plata though, sadly.

Comment

BBC Ukip

Try wiggling the aerial about a bit.

Comment

BBC Ukip

I always thought the BBC were simultaneously biased for and against every party?

Comment

BBC Ukip

They'll make great efforts to justify that statement this isn't about party politics per se, but framing. The BBC's continual promotion of the importance of 'immigration' (and giving a platform to UKIP to discuss it) legitimises that subject and when one party has a brand that corresponds to that issue, that helps.

If the BBC had spent 2 years going on about how Britain was imperilled by climate change, or austerity economics, and on the one hand, you had the three main parties saying this was nonsense, and then interviewing Greens saying 'oh no it wasn't', it would be intriguing to see the polls, to say the least.

Comment

BBC Ukip

Immigration is usually one or two in polls relating to issues which the public considers most pressing. I'm not sure to what extent the BBC can be considered responsible for that.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X