Khartoum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Khartoum.

Anyone know anyone with experience, guidance, links etc? I have been contacted by an organisation who have offered me some work there, and it will be (I think) an excellent opportunity to test myself outside of my normal Foreign Office bubble. Initial offer is for three months, but it could run as long as five years, if I'm keen. I've spoken to a friend who worked there in 2011 and had good things to say about the experience, but any other opinions are very welcome.

Khartoum.

I currently have a student (online) who works in a management role in the British Council teaching centre there (she's Sudanese - I assume anyway). I could put you in touch with her if that sounds of interest.

Comment

Khartoum.

That would be great, Mr. hoc.

Comment

Khartoum.

I've sent her an email to check she's willing, and if so I'll pass it on to you. (I presume she will, but I don't like to assume)

Comment

Khartoum.

There's a PM waiting for you, by the way, VT

Comment

Khartoum.

Blimey, so there is - Thanks.

Comment

Khartoum.

Am I the only one who immediately thought of General Gordon (aka Charlton Heston) whn they saw the title of this thread?

Comment

Khartoum.

General Gordon, and my parents, who lived in Omdurman for a couple of years just before I was born.

Comment

Khartoum.

I've been in Khartoum for about ten days now and first impressions are good. I've found an apartment in a decent part of town and work is only 25 minutes walk away. The hotel in the next block down have offered me a deal on gym membership, so I'll be taking that up as soon as I can (I'm a bit strapped for cash as I was put into an expensive hotel for the first few days and it fleeced me out of ready cash). Internet access functions but is slow, so I've been able to keep in touch with family. There a a couple of decent restaurants nearby - I watched the Manchester United - Tottenham game in the local Syrian restaurant and the food was excellent.

One thing that stands out here is that my Arabic is nowhere near good enough, and I'll need to up my speaking skills fairly quickly. And everyone is a bit twitchy about photographs (possibly a legacy of civil war and state paranoia) so I'll need be more circumspect with my camera.

Comment

Khartoum.

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: And everyone is a bit twitchy about photographs (possibly a legacy of civil war and state paranoia) so I'll need be more circumspect with my camera.
                    I read on the wikivoyage page of Sudan that there are some strict rules on photography in the country. FWIW.

You sound like you're finding your way more than reasonably well. Hope you're having a good time.

Comment

Khartoum.

Land Waster wrote: Am I the only one who immediately thought of General Gordon (aka Charlton Heston) whn they saw the title of this thread?
                      I thought "genocidal regime", and wondered how the name of Omar al-Bashir is not a byword for utter evil.

Comment

Khartoum.

G-Man wrote:
                        Originally posted by Land Waster
                        Am I the only one who immediately thought of General Gordon (aka Charlton Heston) whn they saw the title of this thread?
                        I thought "genocidal regime", and wondered how the name of Omar al-Bashir is not a byword for utter evil.
                        Link here to UK's recently published Human Rights and Democracy report for 2014. Sudan is one of 27 countries of concern.

We remain deeply concerned by the Human Rights situation in Sudan. As the report notes we saw no overall improvement in 2014 and in some areas the situation deteriorated. The human rights abuses and deteriorating humanitarian situation generated by the ongoing conflicts in Darfur, South Kordofan and the Blue Nile remain of particular concern. But abuses have not been limited to conflict areas and there have been marked constraints of broader civil and political rights across the country. This is in marked contrast to the clear commitment to respect for human rights detailed in Sudan’s Interim National Constitution.

Comment

Khartoum.

G-Man wrote:
                          Originally posted by Land Waster
                          I remember Richey from the Manic Street Preachers once loudly singing the praises of Al-Bashir in an interview in the music press. The most charitable explanation is that he was extremely confused at the time. Or drunk.

Good luck VT.

Comment

Working...
                          X