Search function on here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search function on here

How come a search for 'Walking Dead' got me 35 hits, none of them about the TV series, and only via google did I find the 5-page thread called...The Walking Dead?

Search function on here

There are two separate search functions, one for the message board (in the line above your name) and one for the wider site (towards the top right-hand corner of the page). I just used the message board search for Walking Dead, specifying thread titles only, and it worked fine.

Comment

Search function on here

Because Google is a better search engine.

Comment

Search function on here

For stupidly targeted searching, use Google's Advance Search.

Here.

http://www.google.com.au/advanced_search

Just type your words in first box and put wsc.co.uk in the Site or Domain box near the bottom.

Comment

Search function on here

or if you use chrome, stick site:www.wsc.co.uk before whatever you are looking for.

Comment

Search function on here

Better still, set up a custom search in Chrome.

Go to Settings > Manage Search Engines, then create a new search term, filling in the three fields from left-to-right.

Code:
            When Saturday Comes
            wsc
            http://www.google.com/
            search?hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=site:wsc.co.uk+%s&cad=h
            When you're done, if you type 'wsc[space]' in the Omnibar, you can do a site-specific search.

Comment

Search function on here

Once you have a list of search results, whether in the forum or Google, is there a way of clicking to the specific post? Often I'm searching something in a long, old thread with hundreds of pages.

If the search reveals a particular post on a particular date which I want, I can't click straight to that post, only the thread in general. I don't know of any way to find the specific post apart from gradually clicking through the thread page numbers until I hit the date.

Comment

Search function on here

Felicity, I guess so wrote: How come a search for 'Walking Dead' got me 35 hits, none of them about the TV series, and only via google did I find the 5-page thread called...The Walking Dead?
                It's technical. Somebody could explain, but I wouldn't understand.

Comment

Search function on here

beak wrote: or if you use chrome, stick site:www.wsc.co.uk before whatever you are looking for.
                  This also works in any "Google" search too, btw.

Comment

Search function on here

Sits wrote: Once you have a list of search results, whether in the forum or Google, is there a way of clicking to the specific post? Often I'm searching something in a long, old thread with hundreds of pages.
                    Not sure I completely understand the question. Could you post an example?

Comment

Search function on here

What I'm actually doing is looking for a specific post in Mundane Thread II from April. I can find the post on Search, but once I click on the specific post I'm just taken to the latest post on the thread instead. So getting to the specific post requires clicking through the thread page numbers till I get there.

You know what? I'm just making this complicated. It's actually not that big a problem.

Comment

Search function on here

The Google site specific alternatives don't have that issue.

You may want to try re-running your search. You should get the relevant page.

Comment

Search function on here

Some of you are really committed to searching.

Comment

Search function on here

Well, if you, for example, wanted to revisit nmrfox's encounter with Alan Buckley in McDonalds, you could do a Google Site Search for Alan Buckley McDonalds and clicking on the top result will take you to the relevant page (page 2 of the thread).

Comment

Search function on here

caja-dglh wrote: Some of you are really committed to searching.
                              otf, at leisure earlier today -

Comment

Search function on here

I think for most of us, this was more our era …

Comment

Search function on here

Furtho wrote: There are two separate search functions, one for the message board (in the line above your name) and one for the wider site (towards the top right-hand corner of the page). I just used the message board search for Walking Dead, specifying thread titles only, and it worked fine.
                                  This is the best answer. The rest is anoraks.

Comment

Search function on here

Sits wrote: What I'm actually doing is looking for a specific post in Mundane Thread II from April.
                                    What's so exciting in your life that you can't spend five hours manually working through Mundane Thread II? Your next post to it would pretty much write itself afterwards.

I'd do my searching with Mr Vandross.

Comment

Search function on here

Hugh Fatbastard wrote: This is the best answer. The rest is anoraks.
                                      Yes, but the search function built into the content-management system that powers WSC is nowhere near as good as Google search. Hence if you actually want to find something, use Google.

Comment

Search function on here

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Well, if you, for example, wanted to revisit nmrfox's encounter with Alan Buckley in McDonalds, you could do a Google Site Search for Alan Buckley McDonalds and clicking on the top result will take you to the relevant page (page 2 of the thread).
                                        Excellent example. Maybe it's just my iPad. Below is my search result - perfect. But I can only click on the blue linked thread title, not the next row down with post number. Hence, straight to the thread in general. I think I may be taking this too far, so it's really no sweat. And benjm - fair point.

Comment

Search function on here

On my Windows PC, the link takes you to page two of the discussion, which is where the relevant content is.

Comment

Search function on here

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Well, if you, for example, wanted to revisit nmrfox's encounter with Alan Buckley in McDonalds, you could do a Google Site Search for Alan Buckley McDonalds and clicking on the top result will take you to the relevant page (page 2 of the thread).
                                            I'm so proud to have been made an example of. Thanks Stumpy.

Comment

Search function on here

Stumpy Pepys wrote: On my Windows PC, the link takes you to page two of the discussion, which is where the relevant content is.
                                              Bloody Apple, then.

Comment

Working...
                                              X