Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of this is true, and if so.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just how evil is the french government?

It is pretty much true.

Here's another piece on the general subject.

French policy in Africa is a bottomless cesspit of horrible actions and worse people.

Comment

Can I use this to ask a side question?
      Which colonial power acted the least vile?
      I'm wondering, not a quiz.

Comment

ursus minor and I were actually discussing this over the holidays and came to the conclusion that there is no decent answer.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: ursus minor and I were actually discussing this over the holidays and came to the conclusion that there is no decent answer.
          It's about context and personal experience, I suppose. It's not really possible to rank them in order. I wouldn't have fancied being Congolese under King Leopold, though.

Comment

I think also you could talk about three phases of the colonialism - the arrival, the period when they were in power and the departure. I still think that ursus major and minor are correct though. There is no good answer.

What were Germany like as a colonial power in Africa? I know in Micronesia they left a fair bit to be desired

Comment

Absolutely bloody awful, if 'The Kaiser's Holocaust' is to be believed.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: What were Germany like as a colonial power in Africa? I know in Micronesia they left a fair bit to be desired
                Weirdly enough, I was just debating whether to order this.

Comment

Touche, Mr. Boro.

Comment

Echoing VT, we also concluded that the Belgians have an excellent claim to having been the worst.

Comment

Nonsense. They were hailed as heroes.

Comment

Denmark?

Comment

Scotland?

Comment

It's the Netherlands every December.

Comment

Christ, that Tintin picture is jarringly shocking, isn't it?

Comment

What do you mean?

Comment

That's better. I think it's the fact Herge had drawn some of them wearing hats.

I loved Tintin as a child, you know. Still do to some extent. Even then though I picked up on his representation of the Japanese and thought "Here, what's that about?". But this is another level, and I wish I was still ignorant about it.

Comment

Toro Toro wrote: Denmark?
                                    Did a lot of slave trading from the Gold Coast.

Comment

I have a copy of 'TinTin au Congo' - bought in the Congo.

Comment

Good souvenir. Captures the memories.

Comment

So Solidarnosc Crew wrote: I loved Tintin as a child, you know. Still do to some extent. Even then though I picked up on his representation of the Japanese and thought "Here, what's that about?". But this is another level, and I wish I was still ignorant about it.
                                          Oh, he's very good with most of your popular ethnicities. Particularly good is his depiction of 'outraged Arab-type', as they're like that.

He also does an accurate 'hands-up-sleeves Chinaman' which makes you think you're actually there.

Comment

Yeah, and Hergé's depiction of the Scots in The Black Island as always in the pub, suspicious, never smiling, thrawn, kilt wearing and miserable was absolutely....spot on.

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: I have a copy of 'TinTin au Congo' - bought in the Congo.
                                              I remember reading in article in my increasingly distant days studying anthropology that Tintin au Congo had some degree of popularity in the Congo, mostly on account of people laughing at can you believe this guy thinks we're like that?

Not sure how much credence to give it, like.

Comment

beak wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker
                                                I have a copy of 'TinTin au Congo' - bought in the Congo.
                                                I remember reading in article in my increasingly distant days studying anthropology that Tintin au Congo had some degree of popularity in the Congo, mostly on account of people laughing at can you believe this guy thinks we're like that?

Not sure how much credence to give it, like.
                                                It's all about the money, I think.

Racism sells.

Comment

Southport Zeb wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Toro Toro
                                                  Denmark?
                                                  Did a lot of slave trading from the Gold Coast.
                                                  Yeah, but they were also the first to abolish it, as early as 1792 I think.

And "best" is relative.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X