X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Georgia

Uh-oh...

Russian tanks roll into Georgia

(Or a disputed, breakaway part of it, anyway.)

Georgia

hmm. i'm supposed to be going there at the start of september.

Comment

Georgia

To South Ossetia? I sure as help hope not.

But I guess now we know what Bush was saying to Putin at the opening ceremony in Beijing (or at least what he should have said).

Comment

Georgia

to tbilisi. somehow i doubt it's going to happen.

Comment

Georgia

Yes, it's an entirely unprecedented situation for the Republic of Ireland's football team, getting involved in a north-south territorial dispute with ex-colonial power.

Although judging by their recent Belfast friendly ye shouldn't have too many problems.

Comment

Georgia

Depends on what happens next, but I wouldn't be promising any of your mates some Georgian red wine if I were you.

Comment

Georgia

At the risk of sounding inanely trivial or facetious at this time of conflict and impending crisis, could I just say that, having missed out on doing most things before it became too late (e.g. going to the world's beautiful places before they got ruined by development), I am immensely chuffed to have driven (well, to have been driven in a coach) the length of the Georgian Military Highway from Tbilisi, through South and North Ossetia, up to the Pyatigorsk/Kislovodsk region, before it became a war zone. Must be one of the most stunning mountain roads on the planet, scenery-wise.

Comment

Georgia

Sounds like the Beograd to Bar railway.

There seems to be a pattern here.

Comment

Georgia

Some of the RoI fans are flying into Beograd then getting that train to Titograd. Most prefer the seaside at Dubrovik though, apparently.

Comment

Georgia

It's calmed down a bit now. Spectacular train, though.

Comment

Georgia

What are the chances of the US or the UK offering Georgia any help, then? Over and above condemning Russia, that is.

There's a pretty big pipeline passing through Tblisi, no? And Georgia have been increasing their deployment of troops in Iraq over the last couple of years, it seems.

Comment

Georgia

George W's parting gift to Obama - a war with Russia!

Comment

Georgia

The current Georgian army is already tooled up with US materiel, and have had a number of "advisors" on site in the past (I don't know if any are there now).

If there is any attempt at extending the Russian gains beyond South Ossetia, all hell will break loose.

How cynical is it to launch an invasion during the opening ceremonies, though? Olympic truce my ass.

Comment

Georgia

I wonder if there will be any Vera Caslavska moments.

Comment

Georgia

Hungary-USSR water polo.
                              Czechoslovakia - USSR ice hockey.

I think that the Georgians have a decent judo team; there may be some interesting bouts there.

Comment

Georgia

If I understand correctly the Georgian army carried out a massive bombardment of Tskhinvali, fully aware that there is a Russian presence there. Saakashvili is a grade A c*nt, who rigged the elections earlier this year. How odd, given that he is bessies with the States, that there wasn't an outrage in the Western press over this...

Comment

Georgia

They've beaten the Russians in rugby before.

Comment

Georgia

Sash wrote:
                                    Saakashvili is a grade A c*nt, who rigged the elections earlier this year.
                                    erm...

Comment

Georgia

Georgia beat Russia 1-0 in the Euro 2004 qualifiers.

Comment

Georgia

Cueing (literally) riotous celebrations in Tblissi, if I recall correctly.

Comment

Georgia

I wouldn't be promising any of your mates some Georgian red wine if I were you.
                                          Utterly selfishly, having only just discovered how wonderful Georgian red is, I am sad about this.

Comment

Georgia

It's ace (but not aces).

A good backgrounder from Der Spiegel (in English).

Comment

Georgia

ursus arctos wrote:
                                              Cueing (literally) riotous celebrations in Tblissi, if I recall correctly.
                                              The actual attendance was fuck all, something like 11,000.

I remember reading that the rugby match drew a crowd of 60,000.

Comment

Georgia

This surely must be the end of any aspirations Georgia have of joining NATO. I mean, this is really a very mean and nationalistic regime.

Comment

Georgia

You could add "idiotic" to that.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X