Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Heseltine and John Major, redux:

Since I don't have to live in Australia, I'll admit to being slightly disappointed that Dutton didn't get the job. But then NZ's setting would have moved from "smug" to "unbearable".

Labor have a history of self-sabotage but even they should be able to stumble across the line now.

Comment

Presumably Morrison polls better against Labour than Dutton did. And what happens with the Dutton eligibility question? Was it only going to be pushed by a motivated Liberal?

Comment

I'm hoping Labor won't let it go. Simple way to get rid of that tiny majority.

Morrison very much a least worst case. Best case would be overdoing it.

Comment

So, an independent won Turnbull’s seat, which means that Morrison no longer has a majority.

These spills often turn into circular firing squads, don’t they?

Comment

Some in the party have blamed Turnbull for disloyalty. You couldn’t make it up.

Best of all apparently Abbott’s constituency majority is under serious threat.

Comment

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/why-aust...vmFgAjSS4REbcU

Comment

It's difficult to see how Australia can detoxify that date no matter how much it tries to redefine it as a celebration of multiculturalism overcoming white racism.

Comment

OK, Sydney's not so bad. The last minute is the charity 10km walk my office did in May - see Mundane Photographic. [urlhttps://youtu.be/63wARkXeiRk[/url]

Comment

That does look absolutely amazing.

Comment

So, three years ago I popped up posting about independents and now I'm doing it again

This is long, but quite interesting

https://twitter.com/goodweekendmag/status/1453973121094983686?s=21

Comment

Most of them are appealing to the right of centre e.g. ex-skier Zali Steggall who turfed put Tony Abbott up the road from us. Conservatives who do climate.

Comment

ursus arctos apologies that was a bit flippant. As Mrs. S reminded me this evening, these candidates are going up against “Liberals” in right-leaning seats. If it works it could be enough to destabilise the LNP and open the way for Labor.

Comment

Question for the OTF panel of political commentators ...

There have been many instances of countries' former leaders criticising successors from their own party (Heath v Thatcher, May v Johnson, Dubya v Trump, etc). But have you ever seen one as full-on and brutal as Turnbull on ScoMo? I can't recall one.

Here he is in Glasgow:

https://twitter.com/hughwhitfeld/status/1455666987519070220

Comment

That's pretty strong. Though I do wonder if he has something to sell. A book, perhaps?

Comment

He’s right though. Otherwise Morrison will sue him for defamation I assume. Morrison is just one of a gang who make this country an embarrassment.

Comment

Morrison is a lying liar who lies.

His government is the most bent in Australian history and there have been a few nominees, both federal and state. The current mob probably summed up by three ministers suing a single mum on a disability pension for defamation by tweet. Arseholes. Hopefully our local electorate can bin one of the worst of them at the next election.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                    Morrison is a lying liar who lies.

His government is the most bent in Australian history and there have been a few nominees, both federal and state. The current mob probably summed up by three ministers suing a single mum on a disability pension for defamation by tweet. Arseholes. Hopefully our local electorate can bin one of the worst of them at the next election.
                                    Is that the former Attorney General? An utter grub.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                      He’s right though. Otherwise Morrison will sue him for defamation I assume. Morrison is just one of a gang who make this country an embarrassment.
                                      Every country is an embarrassment.

Comment

I had no idea that the age of criminal responsibility is 10 years old, which shocks the conscience of this USian who is very used to criminal "justice" atrocities

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...jobid=29353333

Comment

Strangely, we rarely hear about this in our media. Who’d have thought.

Comment

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/11/11/c...ransportation/

I was looking for a suitable thread for this.

Comment

Is that story really not well known? The deportation of debtors and other convicts to Australia is, I thought, the only thing most people know about it’s history.

Comment

Perhaps the point was that British people don't know the story so well. There was something of a second wave post war when "orphans" were sent from the UK to Australia setting up some horrific experiences for many of them.

Comment

How many kids were involved in that?

edit: I looked it up.

A lot more than I thought.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...shipped-abroad
                                                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 21-12-2021, 05:08.

Comment

Watch Oranges and Sunshine to find out more on that, a great film.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X