The Rt. Hon Michael Fallon MP PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes, there are just not enough words in my lexicon.

(Or anyone else's for that matter)

Apologies. That should have been "The Rt Hon. Michael Fallon MP PC"

Comment

I see he tried to blame the cost of the inquiry into army murders in Iraq on a lawyer, judicial review and legal aid.

Nothing to do with the government not responding to it properly.

The monstrous amount "wasted" here (ie spent on investigating something important) seems to be about a sixth of the cost of Fallon's own underpricing of the Royal Mail, per his old department's doubtless generous figures. The NAO put Fallon's fuck up at about 30 times the cost of this inquiry, IIRC.

Comment

Was the underpricing a "fuck up" or deliberate hand-out to political friends? Such practices go all the way back to "Tell Sid" sell-offs, although that was also an electoral bribe.

Comment

Yeah I'm not putting the Royal Mail rip-off down as a "fuck-up". They knew what they were doing. Except perhaps shrewd, canny 'scourge of the City' Vince Cable.

Comment

I don't know. There was already a very substantial freebie to their mates which might not have got much attention- the priority investors who got an 80p discount per share.

Think the underpricing was a fuck up. Surely not worth the deserved shit it brought the government.

Cerebral old Cable, signing off the priority investment scheme and failing to get more than a "gentleman's agreement" from the City. And then hiding the names of them once they broke the agreement by selling quickly.

The best undervaluing was surely council housing. In those days it was said the tenants had paid loads in rent. Nowadays it's claimed they've not paid very much at all.

Comment

Working...
            X