Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I for one, welcome our new female overlords!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libby Lane named as first female bishop in the Church of England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30510137

She supports Manchester United.

Comment

No problem with that, but, is she wearing one of those scarves which were widely derided on here some time ago?

Comment

A half-and-half scarf? You'd expect her to have a trinity at least.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: A half-and-half scarf? You'd expect her to have a trinity at least.
          Nah. Those upmarket woven ones.

(But props for the response, anyway!)

Comment

we've had one for over a year. she's the bishop of meath. Her catholic counterpart has taken her appointment as a challenge to prove to everyone the superiority of married and female clergy

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: we've had one for over a year. she's the bishop of meath. Her catholic counterpart has taken her appointment as a challenge to prove to everyone the superiority of married and female clergy
              Plenty of people have had female bishops.

It finally looks like England might be taking a few tentative steps into the 20th Century…

Comment

Sepp Blatter's behind all this.

Comment

I couldn't care less. I'm not a member of the club and it's not as if the CoE has a membership waiting list either, so I don't consider it highly relevant.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: A half-and-half scarf? You'd expect her to have a trinity at least.
                    Gainsborough fan, then.

Comment

So Guy likes a woman on top, wearing a cassock. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I say.

Comment

85 million Anglicans in the world, including lots in Africa. If there's a female Archbishop of Cantebury someday, that could be a big help, and the more the COE grows-up on issues like women and LGBTQ stuff, the more good they can do. Even if their formal membership in Britain continues to decline, more people will listen to them and be favorably disposed to cooperate with them if they can get past some of these ancient problems.

Comment

There's a very dismissive phrase in the irish language about the theological foundations of anglicanism, in that it was "based on the inconstancy and inadequacy of the genitals of henry VIII."

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: There's a very dismissive phrase in the irish language about the theological foundations of anglicanism, in that it was "based on the inconstancy and inadequacy of the genitals of henry VIII."
                            That's not actually true, you know. Yes, he wanted a divorce, but there's a whole lot more to the Reformation than that.

Comment

yes, and henry would have carried on killing those people pn behalf of the pope if he had been able to father a son. or if the woman he was tryng to get an annulment from, wasn't the aunt of the man who was effectively holding the pope hostage.

Comment

Yes, that. But the Reformation probably would have come to Britain sooner or later anyway.

Comment

possibly. but any religion with the english monarch as its head is clearly a meaningless farce. Even without the whole divorce/malfunctioning cock problem. The pity is that so many people had to die.

Comment

yes, and henry would have carried on killing those people pn behalf of the pope if he had been able to father a son. or if the woman he was tryng to get an annulment from, wasn't the aunt of the man who was effectively holding the pope hostage.
                                    Having lost my place on the board, I thought this was about Thierry.

Comment

teehee. I suppose it's really difficult to take anglicanism seriously because it' a religion where we saw the sausage being made. It's also very difficult to take christianity/catholicism seriously if you read about the council of Nicea.

Having all the churchmen in christendom locked in a room and told that they're not to come out until they've agreed something so the empire has a unified religion to fight under, is not exactly mystical is it?

Comment

I have read about all of those things and still manage to take it seriously, despite all of that. You're characterization is not really accurate. They weren't fighting anyone at the time. They were trying to resolve what they thought to be serious controversies about matters of eternal importance for the fate of everyone's souls. It's easy to mock that now, but we're relying on about 1700 years worth of scientific and humanistic advances.

It was a bunch of very smart people doing the best to understand stuff that is really hard to understand. All things considered, they did a pretty good job of it.

Comment

That's... strikingly poor epistemology, Berba.

Comment

I find that religion is a lot more appealing when you understand how the sausage is made, so to speak. Obviously, it requires one to be a lot less certain about a lot of things, but that's ok.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                                              Having lost my place on the board, I thought this was about Thierry.
                                              That was beautiful, UA.

Comment

Reed John wrote: I find that religion is a lot more appealing when you understand how the sausage is made, so to speak. Obviously, it requires one to be a lot less certain about a lot of things, but that's ok.
                                                how does this work? surely the more you know about how the sausage is made (constructed by man) the harder it is to imagine that it's a fruit (has anything to do with a god)

Comment

Working...
                                                X