EIM's waking nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EIM's waking nightmare

Nominative determinism. The certainly give me the flux.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

WOM wrote: As soon as he gets a fresh coat of paint on the dolphin, I'm there.
      Is that a euphemism?

Crazy-golf courses are standardised here. You can't have bloody dolphins cluttering the place up. You'd get had up for it.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

The poor boy got over-excited with the crap trainer and lost his head.

Indeed, I can only imagine the number of different municipal jobsworths who would hit you with violation notices.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

treibeis wrote:
          Crazy-golf courses are standardised here.
          Oh. Well that sounds....efficient.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

WOM wrote:
            Originally posted by treibeis
            Crazy-golf courses are standardised here.
            Oh. Well that sounds....efficient.
            It is. There are, I think, 26 official holes. Thirteen of them have to be present and correct on every municipal crazy-golf course. From the remaining thirteen, you can select five others.

No dolphins, no gnomes, no windmills, no Daisy Duck cut-outs. Just brutalist concrete and ruthlessly insurmountable obstacles.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

ursus arctos wrote: Indeed, I can only imagine the number of different municipal jobsworths who would hit you with violation notices.
              Don't get me started on municipal jobsworths. I only got the final contract last week, even though I'd signed it over a month ago. Apparently, they'd measured the crazy golf course and discovered that it was two square metres smaller than was stated in the contract. And without the final contract, it's been impossible to get all the rest of the requisite papers.

And then there are the signs. The municipal bods were moaning their cobs off about people not knowing where the golf course is. Yet you're not allowed to put a chalkboard sign anywhere saying "Crazy golf this way" or whatever. And no posters or flags, either.

Exasperated, I suggested I have a sandwich-board man walking around the park sporting a sign saying "There is NO crazy golf course here, particularly NOT on the south side of the large patch of grass." The municipal bod hesitated and then said, "Yes, that might be a way of geting around it." He was serious as well.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

Sometimes I miss Germany.

And sometimes I don't.

Do they actually call it Verruecktes Golf up north? It was just Mini Golf in Frankfurt.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

It's difficult to tell if you guys are doing a 'bit', or whether German crazy-golf isn't quite as crazy as it might purport to be.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

Judge for yourself.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

Do they actually call it Verruecktes Golf up north? It was just Mini Golf in Frankfurt

No, it's Minigolf here as well. And woe betide you if you want to call your Minigolfanlage anything else.

It's difficult to tell if you guys are doing a 'bit', or whether German crazy-golf isn't quite as crazy as it might purport to be.

It's not that bad. People under five or over ninety years of age are really quite cool about it.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

Gads. The one we go to on the Outer Banks has two 18-hole courses, and you get to the first hole by taking a mining train. There's pirate ships...and everything.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

I can't help but feel that you would struggle in Germany.

I didn't know you were an OBX type. It's a favourite of my in-laws, and the place where ursus minor spent his first birthday penned in by a hurricane.

Where do you go?

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

We are indeed. OBX sticker on the car and everything. We stay right around the Kitty Hawk/ Kill Devil Hills border. Ocean side, natch.

You?

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

Southern Shores, which is north of Kitty Hawk, just below Duck.

In-laws have been going there for yonks; we go every five years or so.

The Hurricane in '99 was Dennis.

It had a particularly bizarre track

We did a lot of puzzles that trip.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

I wouldn't relish that experience.

We're thinking of staying way down in Hatteras next July, but we'll see how it goes. We've had a good look around the northern end, so might mix it up for a change.

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

From what little I've seen of Hatteras, it is different and somewhat more "Southern" than OBX (though not as Southern as Wilmington, which might as well be in South Carolina).

Comment

EIM's waking nightmare

The 8-bit trainer.

(I'm amazed these still seem to be available! I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they're actually sold out. See www.micromusic.net for a better idea of the aesthetic.)

Comment

Working...
                                    X