Piet's back in black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piet's back in black

The Sinterklaas season is off and running again and Zwarte Piet still looks like this:

This is a still from yesterday's Sinterklaasjournaal, a traditional children's show shown at this time of year. This is Dutch children's tv in 2014.

The background to this year's racis, sorry, traditional festivities is one of increasing acrimony. The highest administrative court in the land today overturned a lower court's ruling that Amsterdam city council should not have allowed last year's Sinterklaas parade as Zwarte Piet creates negative stereotypes of black people. The Council of State ruling stated that the Amsterdam mayor cannot take zwarte piet into consideration when issuing permits for the parade. The ruling also stated that the Council of State cannot and will not rule on whether zwarte piet contravenes anti-discrimination laws.

The Sinterklaasjournaal is very important as it kicks off the celebrations. Viewers watched keenly to see if Piet would be blacked up or multi-coloured as many are now pushing for. As you can see he's black as Amos 'n Andy. It was on the front of all the newspapers this morning, De Telegraaf could hardly conceal its joy that "Piet is still black!", it's typeface white on a black background for the hard of understanding. Its editorial defended the "centuries old family (here's that word again) tradition" blaming the ferment on a small group of radicals.

So if you find yourself in the Netherlands over the next couple of weeks and you see this in shop windows (you can't avoid it):
    and people dressed like this:

don't worry, it's not racist, it's just good old fashioned tradition, a bit of fun.

Piet's back in black

I guess that in a country that is mostly at or under sea level, it shouldn't be surprising that the hill they choose to die is awfully low.

Comment

Piet's back in black

The Dutch practice mass delusion when it comes to Piet.

Historically, Sinterklaas has always had a dark character. Yet that character only developed into blackface during the height of the slave trade, which we are all to assume is just a coincidence.

He'a also apparently not black because he's from Africa, but because he came down a chimney. A magic chimney that causes him to grow an afro, big red lips and develop a Surunami accent (I shit you not).

Of course, those who point out the racism inherent in Zwarte Piet are told they simply want to destroy a children's holiday. Like the kids could give a shit what skin colour Santa's helper has.

I just sit back and observe the mass delusion. Everyone knows the truth, but as long as everybody keeps up a massive lie, nobody has to admit they know the truth. And therefore nobody has to say sorry or anything like that, because that would be terrible.

Zwarte Piets in London

Comment

Piet's back in black

Has any town tried an actual black man in the role, or would that be viewed like the Oompa Loompas?

Comment

Piet's back in black

I read an Enid Blyton Noddy book recently which had been redacted. Instead of being kidnapped by Gollywogs, Noddy was kidnapped by monkeys.

I'm not sure that's an improvement if you knew they were Gollywogs originally.

I am probably alone in this, but I had to have it pointed out to me as a teenager that Gollywogs were meant to depict black people. They looked nothing like the black people I knew and I had never made the link.

Comment

Piet's back in black

Antonio Pulisao wrote: The Dutch practice mass delusion when it comes to Piet.

Historically, Sinterklaas has always had a dark character. Yet that character only developed into blackface during the height of the slave trade, which we are all to assume is just a coincidence.

He'a also apparently not black because he's from Africa, but because he came down a chimney. A magic chimney that causes him to grow an afro, big red lips and develop a Surunami accent (I shit you not).

Of course, those who point out the racism inherent in Zwarte Piet are told they simply want to destroy a children's holiday. Like the kids could give a shit what skin colour Santa's helper has.

I just sit back and observe the mass delusion. Everyone knows the truth, but as long as everybody keeps up a massive lie, nobody has to admit they know the truth. And therefore nobody has to say sorry or anything like that, because that would be terrible.

Zwarte Piets in London
            It is extraordinary. There's not one of my Dutch friends or colleagues see anything wrong with it and get incredibly defensive.

My wife and I find ourselves in a difficult situation this year as my son is now in school and they are about to start Sinterklaas celebrations.We're trying to work out how to explain to him what we don't like about it without him feeling excluded from the celebrations. It really is a conundrum.

That link was you posted was great.The incredulity in the Londoners faces.And Russell Brand popping, who'd a thunk it?

Comment

Piet's back in black

Jongudmund wrote: I read an Enid Blyton Noddy book recently which had been redacted. Instead of being kidnapped by Gollywogs, Noddy was kidnapped by monkeys.

I am probably alone in this, but I had to have it pointed out to me as a teenager that Gollywogs were meant to depict black people. They looked nothing like the black people I knew and I had never made the link.
              I didn't know they were supposed to be black people either. But my being unaware of this, doesn't make them innocent figures, which is the mistake that certain people (like most of holland seemingly) make.

Comment

Piet's back in black

GdSC, assuming that you don't mind telling us, how did you come to be living in the Netherlands?

Comment

Piet's back in black

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                  Originally posted by Jongudmund
                  I read an Enid Blyton Noddy book recently which had been redacted. Instead of being kidnapped by Gollywogs, Noddy was kidnapped by monkeys.

I didn't know they were supposed to be black people either. But my being unaware of this, doesn't make them innocent figures, which is the mistake that certain people (like most of holland seemingly) make.
                  Yeah. I felt a bit sad when I realised. I thought Gollywogs were quite cute. I liked the pin badges you could get from Robinsons Jam. And then I was told they were meant to be naughty African children and recognised that their name was formed using a racist term.

Comment

Piet's back in black

Antonio Pulisao wrote: The Dutch practice mass delusion when it comes to Piet.

Zwarte Piets in London
                    where are london's gangs of knife wielding black teenagers when you need them?

Comment

Piet's back in black

Jongudmund wrote:
                      Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
                      Originally posted by Jongudmund

Yeah. I felt a bit sad when I realised. I thought Gollywogs were quite cute. I liked the pin badges you could get from Robinsons Jam. And then I was told they were meant to be naughty African children and recognised that their name was formed using a racist term.
                      Look for the golly on the jar I believe. I was also quite old when I understood the whole monkey chants and bananas thing (Unless someone tells you, the link between black people and monkeys is not apparent to a small child)

Comment

Piet's back in black

Black Dutch men are often called "Zwarte Piet" by confused children.

Dutch children's song: "Sinterklaas come in with your servant."

And of course there's the other children's song, where Zwarte Piet sings "even though I'm as black as soot, I mean well."

All in good fun, apparently.

Elvis Piet:

Comment

Piet's back in black

ursus,

I ended up here with my job. I've now been here just under 10 years. Very settled and it is great to see and hear my kids bilingual. And the bike. I don't think I could move anywhere else now, I'd be completely lost without being able to use my bike in the way it is here- cycling is such an integral part of the culture. There's not much I don't like about Dutch society but zwarte piet is most certainly one of them.

Comment

Piet's back in black

Needless to say, Geert Wilders and his PVV are staunchly behind keeping Piet black to protect Dutch culture. So much so that two months ago, Wilders introduced a bill to force municipalities to keep Piet black or dark brown during Sinterklaas celebrations. Colouring Piet’s face and hands other colours would be banned.

Article 1 of the bill states:

"A Black Piet has a solid black or dark brown face, red painted lips, black curly hair and gold earrings, and is dressed in a velvety suit with knickerbockers and wears a hat with a colored feather. "

Really, I’m not making this up. So passionate are the PVV about Zwarte Piet that three regional PVV politicians addressed the regional council of the Groningen province last week dressed as Zwarte Piet:

You can watch the gruesome performance here.

Comment

Piet's back in black

In Cornwall, they black up for Mayday because it's what the miners used to look like when they came up from the pits. Hmmm.

Comment

Piet's back in black

Yeah, and?

I mean, those people are clearly smearing some paint on their faces to look like soot. It's hard to find a minstrel act that's ever been that half-assed.

Meanwhile Zwarte Piet is indistinguishable from minstrelsy.

Comment

Piet's back in black

GdeSC,

Thanks very much for that.

Much as I was at his age, ursus minor is thinking that emigration from the country of his birth is very much in his future*, and he is thinking of the Netherlands as a possible destination.

So all of this is even more interesting to me than it would be otherwise.

* though his motivation isn't to avoid being drafted for military service in an unjust war, as mine was.

Comment

Piet's back in black

ursus,

no problem. Fire me a pm if you or ursus minor need any help, tips or advice. I daresay Amsterdam and that side of the country will be the location for emigration but if there's anything I can help with, just let me know.

Comment

Piet's back in black

Yeah, same here regarding PM. I have lived, on and off, 17 years (and counting) in the Netherlands. Also went to college in NL so can offer advice on that side of things, if ursus minor is pursuing emigration for those kinds of reasons.

When I was a kid in Holland I was afraid of Zwarte Piet (he takes you away in a bag if you are bad) and definitely confused him with real black people. Any Dutch person who says it doesn't fuck up kids' minds is talking bollocks. Fortunately I only lived in Holland for two years when I was young enough to be subjected to it at school. And having no Dutch family, I never have to celebrate it.

Those two years were very "profitable" for me as a kid. Since all the Dutch kids got presents from Sinterklaas, I got presents from him as well, because it was only fair. And since I spent Christmas in Ireland, and all my Irish cousins were visited by Santa, I also got paid a visit by Santa. It was only fair, you see. My poor parents, I feel sorry for them.

Comment

Piet's back in black

90 people were arrested at the nationally televised Sinterklaas parade in Gouda this afternoon. Most arrested were anti-zwarte piet protesters for unfurling banners and protesting outside designated areas but there were also arrests made for scuffles and fighting between protesters and piet supporters.

Today was quite significant as this is the first major protest and incursion at the festivities and the number of arrests made are unparalleled. The anti movement is gaining momentum each year but when you have the minister president of the country, Mark Rutte saying yesterday:

“I’ve said it more often: A Black Pete is black, that’s a given. That’s not a political statement, that’s a statement of fact. Personally, I think he can continue to be black.”

you realise the enormity of the entrenched attitudes to be faced.

Comment

Piet's back in black

I think a poll said that 95% of Dutch people don't see any racism in Zwarte Piet at all. The corresponding figure when only Dutch-Surinamese people were asked is 19%. It doesn't matter what the latter group think though, because in the minds of many Dutch, Zwarte Piet is a Dutch tradition and has nothing to do with Surinamese people.

Comment

Piet's back in black

This really is The Netherlands' blind spot.

Asking many Dutch people to get rid of Zwarte Piet is the equivalent of saying Father Christmas shouldn't use reindeers because it's cruel, or telling the British to stop burning Guys on Bonfire Night.

I just try to side step it all now. It's got to the point where their determination to defend their tradition is just way too virulent to even attempt to oppose it with my outsider's distaste.

I have, at least, de - friended 3 "collegas" on FB tonight as their defensive frenzy veered into far nastier xenophobia. Principled man that I am. But many other people who I would describe as lovely, without an ounce of hate in their bodies, are very tetchily defensive about this.

The general response among people I know to the trouble in Gouda today is how despicable it is to introduce violence into a festival purely designed for children. Unfortunately, they ignore the fact that the people who have taken it upon themselves to defend "Piet" most strongly are also not averse to violence themselves.

Bryan. I am sadly one of those parents who was fleeced for 15 years by dual present giving.

If one good thing can come out of divorce, it's being able to gracefully ignore the whole Sinterklaas experience.

Comment

Piet's back in black

Asking many Dutch people to get rid of Zwarte Piet is the equivalent of saying Father Christmas shouldn't use reindeers because it's cruel, or telling the British to stop burning Guys on Bonfire Night.

but reindeers aren't people, and there are no catholics in the united kingdom so it's not a problem. There are black people in holland.

Comment

Piet's back in black

Yes, one of the more bizarre things about the Sinterklaas thing is that it's not just a kids holiday. Adults have each other over to their houses, sing childrens songs with each other and give each other gifts. And dress up in blackface of course, because it just wouldn't be the same otherwise.

It turns out that three of my best Dutch friends think the thing is racist. I guess I have good friends.

These arrests in Gouda are exactly what the protesters wanted. Nothing gets the Dutch establishment back peddling like bad international headlines concerning the Netherlands. Perhaps some organisation could try to invite Obama to the Netherlands on Dec. 5. Perhaps Dec. 5, 2016, the month before his presidency ends, when he really doesn't give a shit anymore about the consequences of his words. I would pay all the money in the world to see it.

Comment

Piet's back in black

A good example of Logan and AP's points about entrenched attitudes is Albert Heijn's recent reverse ferret over zwarte piet.

After the company (the Netherlands largest supermarket chain) announced in October it was no longer comfortable with zwarte piet and that they would be changing piet to a white helper, the resultant public outrage and boycott and competitors such as Jumbo saying they had no problem with zwarte piet, resulted in AH reversing their decision saying “the customers have spoken’. They also penned a love poem to Piet published in all the newspapers which announced the reverse.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X