Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York, I love you; but....

you're bringing me down....

Well not really, but looking for a crib for two weeks end February that isn't outrageous is.

Originally we had our eyes on a place in the West Village; but the Website's estimate on prices and reality was a world apart.

At the moment there is a nice place; but a bit far away from the centre (or center I suppose I should say) in Broad Channel, which looks a really interesting place, and it isn't too far from Rockaway Beach (which as we know it's not far to reach).
    But has anyone has any experinece of that neck of Queen's, especially end Feb/early March?
    We will of course be going into town a fair bit to see the sights - but being away from it all might be quite nice.
    It looks like that area City Island in the Andy Garcia movie - but more rough with the added attraction of being in the JFK flight path..
    We are 5 (3 ados and 2 hassled parents) - we do not want a car, self catering are us.
    Still some other options in East Village, and near Battery Park - but these seem over priced etc

We're thinking of going to New York in 2016, so whatever you learn in regard to self-catering accommodation and suchlike logistics, please share.

Comment

Is airbnb the solution for this kind of thing? Or is that where you're looking?

Comment

Have you tried Airbnb? I used it for the first time this summer in NYC & Boston, pretty good deals on there.

Comment

Uncanny posts from Kid A and Stumpy exact same minute. Thanks
          I will play around with Airbnb tonight as work PC is VERY slow today.

We have been looking at Holiday Lettings and Home Away before as they have a massive selection, and usually you can use Paypal etc. However selection is massive but expensive.
          Cheers again.

Comment

I seem to remember there being a bit of hoo-ha surrounding airbnb in the States. Has that been cleared up?

We used airbnb for our recent Vienna trip and it was great. Nice clean apartment, excellent location, great price. Incredibly obvious that - in direct contravention of the rules - no-one lived there and it was purely a holiday flat, but hey ho.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: I seem to remember there being a bit of hoo-ha surrounding airbnb in the States. Has that been cleared up?
              I think the fuss was around people not paying tax on what was income from renting.

Comment

Ah, OK. Ta for the clarification.

Comment

Not really.

The issue in New York has revolved around the basic legality of people using Airbnb, given that the substantial majority of leases, condominium agreements and co-operative charters pursuant to which Manhattanites (and many Brooklynites) inhabit their flats expressly prohibit short-term sublets of this kind. There is also a municipal law that prohibits residences from being operated as "hotels" without the requisite licenses.

A recent survey by the Attorney General indicated that something like 70% of the listings were in violation of one or more of these restrictions.

That said, it is unlikely that Airbnb is going to be going away anytime soon, and they are spending a ton of money on lobbying to make sure that is the case. The contractual issues are also much less serious in the "Outer Boroughs", where many people own their own houses.

As to Broad Channel.

It is genuinely interesting, but:

it was severely damaged by Superstorm Sandy, with very serious flooding that destroyed dozens of homes;

is very far from Manhattan by public transport (more than an hour on the A);

is directly on the water and runs the risk of being seriously cold (by NY standards) at that time of year (also note that all of the housing stock out there was originally built without insulation, though much of it has been upgraded to allow year-round occupation).

Take a look at Airbnb, and also look at VRBO.com. If you give me an idea of your price range and what kinds of things you would like to do, I can give you a sense as to where it makes sense to look (it may well be that nearby New Jersey makes more sense).

Needless to say, you, G-man and other OTF visitors to these parts have a standing invitation for drink/meal/coffee on us. It would be great to see you.

Our longest recent NYC thread.

Comment

We rented a 2 bed apartment overlooking Prospect Park earlier this year - it was clean, convenient and not axpensive. I'd be happy to forward details if you are interested.

Comment

Now we're talkin

Comment

Indeed - I am ready to place bets on which part of Prospect Park you were at, VT.

Airbnb is definitely the way to go I would say. I would also suggest going as near to the city as you can ex-Times Square. For a two week visit to NYC I feel you really want to be *in* the city. Wanting to get away from it is the preserve of people living there - for two weeks it won't get old.

And listen to Johnny T

Comment

My money is on Prospect Park West.

Comment

You are going for VT being at the wealthy end of things. I was wondering if he was more over Windsor Terrace or the Botanics, but I suppose once you get down near the YMCA it gets pretty affordable.

We once viewed an apartment down there that I desperately wanted to live in but could not reason for the nine or ten block walk to Grand Army each day. New York is the place where I really came to value natural light a lot more highly than I ever used to (2nd floor apartments in midtown do that to you).

Looking around Prospect Park is a great spot though - trains aren't that bad and the Park is amazing.

Comment

I was also thinking of the housing stock most likely to have an empty two bedroom apartment.

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: We rented a 2 bed apartment overlooking Prospect Park earlier this year - it was clean, convenient and not axpensive. I'd be happy to forward details if you are interested.
                                Hi VT - yes definately interested please, please PM me.

Hi Ursus - yes I am reading about the whole Hurricane Sandy thing, and the damage.
                                Budget for us is mounting all the time, we ae trying to keep below $80/night, which for 14 nights is getting bloody expensive - we started at $50/night; but looking at various options for 5 this seems pretty unlikely so hence increase, in budget. - last family holiday we think with the oiks getting bigger.
                                Foolishly pulled the trigger on the flights already, lulled into the false advertising of that West Village place, and starting to sweat a bit.
                                Appreciate any hints, tips or otherwise - looks like a night on the web tonight.

Comment

USD 80/night is simply undoable in a hotel in Manhattan (twice that is virtually impossible).

See what airbnb and vrbo have in that price range in Brooklyn, Queens or Inwood (the northern tip of Manhattan). You may also want to look at Jersey City, Hoboken or Weehawken (across the river in New Jersey with decent transit).

Comment

Oh not a hotel! Musn't spoil ourselves. - we are looking for self catering appartment/studio, stable etc; but I think it's pretty undoable for $80 too, no matter where I look.
                                    We don't mind hopping on subways - and the Metrocard seems to be one price for everywhere covered.

Comment

VTTBoscombe wrote: Hi VT - yes definately interested please, please PM me.
                                      PM sent.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: You are going for VT being at the wealthy end of things. I was wondering if he was more over Windsor Terrace Looking around Prospect Park is a great spot though - trains aren't that bad and the Park is amazing.
                                        We loved Prospect Park. We stayed at Southwest - not far from Windsor Terrace.

Comment

On Metrocard:

You can buy 7 day unlimited ride Metrocards for USD 30 each. Given that individual rides cost USD 2.50, they are excellent value if you intend to use the system at all (which you should, as it is BY FAR the best way to get around).

They give you unlimited access to the subway and public buses in New York City. They do not include Express Buses (which are for commuters from the Outer Boroughs and unlikely to be of interest to visitors) OR transit to or from New Jersey, Connecticut, the northern NY suburbs or Nassau or Suffolk County on Long Island. The latter will be of interest if you end staying outside the five boroughs.

Comment

Thanks for the PM VT. Sounds really good, but as replied maybe too high for us; but we may come back to it as teh search goes on.

Comment

Windsor Terrace is worth looking at, though I wouldn't be surprised if it is too expensive.

You might try Inwood or Hamilton Heights in Manhattan, Red Hook or Sunset Park in Brooklyn or Ridgewood in Queens.

Comment

Thanks Ursus - , had to hike the budget expectations - quite like around Prospect Park.
                                                Seeing some interesting stuff pop up around East Harlem.

Funny the original property in Broad Channel, is still favourite though as it seems so different, and my Ramone's ear worm keeps telling me to go for it.
                                                Plus Madame VTT, is more keen for that than any at the moment.

Anyway decision time tonight so keeping searching.

Comment

If you'll choose that place because of the Ramones, I demand that on your next visit to Cologne you'll stay near the Müngersdorfer Stadion.

Here's why

Comment

Working...
                                                  X