Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Cogito View Post
    Determinism or merely appropriateness?

Guardian article on discovery of new planet in process of formation quotes Miriam Keppler of the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy in Germany (yeh yeh spelling, whatever).

It's also not as far away as you might think: "the planet – a gas giant with a mass greater than Jupiter – is about as far from its star as Uranus is from our sun".

Never tires.
    Though I note she wasn't using data from Kepler.

Comment

Well, I might as well add him having mentioned it elsewhere, but Newsnight interviewed a bridge engineer called Ian Firth.

Comment

Judge Fair
        Judge Price
        Tara Cluck (attorney St. Joseph MO)

Mrs. House Cat's friend's OBGYN was named Harry Beaver. Honest.

Comment

Is that Harry pronounced the American way. (Herry)

Comment

I don't really know. I understand he was a Southerner so he would have drawled it but that is all.

Comment

Which Americans pronounce Harry Herry?

Comment

I have no clue. We need to ask PT.

Comment

Well Harry Speakup was definitely a Harry.

Which gave me a Wiki-wormhole that I climbed down and eventually found out that Top Cat stopped 'cos Benny's voice (i.e. Doberman) died.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Which Americans pronounce Harry Herry?
                    My wife pronounced marry, merry and Mary the same (as I would say merry). She's from San Jose. There's some joke she told that made no sense to me because it relied on Harry and hairy being pronounced the same as each other.

Much to my internal amusement, what I hear when most Americans I know talk about Fairyland in Oakland is ferry-land.

Comment

Well, it is on Lake Merritt . . .

Comment

IIRC, there was a Herry Monster on Sesame Street.

As you were.

Comment

Phosphorus was first discovered by German alchemist Hennig Brand. "Brand" means "fire" in German.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                            Well, I might as well add him having mentioned it elsewhere, but Newsnight interviewed a bridge engineer called Ian Firth.
                            I sincerely hope he had three older siblings.

Comment

I have a brass player student whose last name is Loud.

Comment

As I learned from the Brexit hearing today, the EU Council's, um, counsel, is Hubert Legal.

Comment

Had a Royal Military Policeman on my A3 Intelligence course called Cpl. Justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                                    I have a brass player student whose last name is Loud.
                                    When (compulsorily) learning recorder at primary school, I was amused to discover that the accompanying manual was edited by somebody called Freda Dinn.

Comment

[Just reading about Bill Cosby being moved to Gen Pop...]
                                      The spokesperson for the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections is called Amy Worden.

Comment

I'm always surprised that the Chief Executive of the Howard League for Penal Reform never seems to get a mention, given how often she appears in the media.

Step foward Frances Crook.

Comment

It looks like Danny Drinkwater should have taken the advice of his own surname, charged with driving over the limit.

Comment

https://twitter.com/KateNocera/status/1306695385889603585

Comment

Ha ha re fraud guarantee! Had to do some googling to understand the Bowser one.

I'm coming across nominative determinism examples all the time, recently explained the idea to our 9 year old, but I can't remember any of the recent ones right now, damn it.

Comment

I;d say the pole vault thread about "Armand Duplantis" is today's example

Comment

I give you: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/59388162

Comment

Working...
                                                  X