Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we have a First World Problems thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been told that my notice period is being brought forward and instead of leaving on December 31 I'll now be leaving at the end of November, meaning they won't have to pay me anything in December.

Merry Christmas!

Comment

Bastards, can they even do that?!

I was unemployed from before last Christmas for about 5-6 months, and I remember that I was a moaning git. So I tried to pass the time by improving my skills in certain areas that needed improving (basic programming, etc.). I also went swimming a lot.

Hopefully you'll end up in a better job than before.

Best of luck.

Comment

Antonio Pulisao wrote: Bastards, can they even do that?!

I was unemployed from before last Christmas for about 5-6 months, and I remember that I was a moaning git. So I tried to pass the time by improving my skills in certain areas that needed improving (basic programming, etc.). I also went swimming a lot.

Hopefully you'll end up in a better job than before.

Best of luck.
        Cheers. I'm staying pragmatic about it because it takes a horrendous commute out of my day, I've got money saved up and more experience than I had before. If I can find something similar but closer to home I'll be happy.

Comment

I reprogrammed a second hand key fob for my car at the weekend. Saved myself £250 for getting a new one. Was like an old Playstation cheat - left, right, up down, A, X, X, Y, close the door, open the door, turn the engine on, etc. I felt unreasonably proud afterwards.

Comment

We have a working flush again. Yay!

Comment

I'm without a dishwasher until at least next week. :-(

Sent off my broken Buffalo drive to a data recovery firm, who'd floated £400 as the price. They quoted me £595 plus VAT once they actually had my drive. Looking at their more negative reviews (which I should have done before) it seems they have form for treating customers very badly - if you don't proceed, you get your drive back in pieces, or not at all.

I asked them to return my drive and they've come back asking if a £400 plus VAT quote would have been acceptable.

Meantime! I've found my original internal drive, which my regular IT guy can transfer for about £75.

Comment

MsD wrote: I'm without a dishwasher until at least next week. :-(
                When you only offer a week's vacation, they're gonna take it eventually.

Comment

Ha. I might get the cleaner in just to wash up. I have a busy week lined up and I hate washing up.

I nearly said "ad hoc" in there. She cleans for me as and when.

Comment

After a mere four years, my Internet radio appears to have given up the ghost. Of course, thanks to TuneIn it was already obsolete, but you can't beat having a gadget as a furniture item.

Comment

Went to a dinner party at a friend's house last week and was talking to her mother at one point. She was despairing at the fact that her - I'm going to call him 'groundsman' - had hosed down the tennis courts without first sweeping up the fallen leaves.

Comment

That's a whole other level.

Comment

Sometimes when I go to paste something I've copied onto my clipboard I hit 'ctrl c' again and have to do the whole thing over.

Comment

Even after requesting an alternative view, I'm still stuck with mobile Twitter.

Comment

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the 15 page e-mail.

Comment

Our next door neighbours seem to be falling out badly with their next door neighbours on the other side (i.e. two houses along from us in the terrace). It's awkward as we're on very warm friendly terms with both lots. What about? I hear you all ask with bated breath. Well, it's about our next door neighbours' very barky dog, who barks his little head off when left indoors alone, which our next door neighbours do for a few hours every now and then (and did, exceptionally, for rather too long a week or so ago, i.e most of the day). The noise is a bit annoying, to be fair, though it doesn't bother us that much as we tend not to be in the rooms next to the barking dog when it's going on. But the people two doors down are clearly getting in quite a tizz about it, and things have blown up rather. For example, a phone call of complaint at 8am on a Sunday, ffs, leading to an explosion of anger and a slamming down of the phone by the normally very genial Mr Dog Owner.

Comment

Proper first world problem yesterday and today with Tesco’s website having fallen over. For more than 24 hours. An inconvenience for some, a genuinely tricky one for others, but even so the social media response is full-on first world entitlement. Tesco’s twitter account is asking people to DM them if they need to cancel an order as it wasn’t filled out but just had a single placeholder item. People do... then tweet Tesco back ~two hours later saying “I know you are busy, but where’s my confirmation???” - erm, they are very, very busy actually cancelling the orders. They don’t have time to confirm. The other stupidity is people complaining that the phone lines are busy and wondering (in a verbally aggressive manner) if Tesco are deliberately ignoring calls. Er, no, that will be the number of lines they have being completed overwhelmed by an unprecedented volume of calls.

Wonder what the cause is, though? Bank/personal details being the worry.

Comment

I'd like to know what happened with Evariste Euler Gauss 's neighbours.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

Our next door neighbours seem to be falling out badly with their next door neighbours on the other side (i.e. two houses along from us in the terrace). It's awkward as we're on very warm friendly terms with both lots. What about? I hear you all ask with bated breath. Well, it's about our next door neighbours' very barky dog, who barks his little head off when left indoors alone, which our next door neighbours do for a few hours every now and then (and did, exceptionally, for rather too long a week or so ago, i.e most of the day). The noise is a bit annoying, to be fair, though it doesn't bother us that much as we tend not to be in the rooms next to the barking dog when it's going on. But the people two doors down are clearly getting in quite a tizz about it, and things have blown up rather. For example, a phone call of complaint at 8am on a Sunday, ffs, leading to an explosion of anger and a slamming down of the phone by the normally very genial Mr Dog Owner.
                                      Nah

That's not a first World problem

It's an in suburbia problem

Comment

We have yappy dog issues in the midst of the densest urban settlement in North America

Comment

Having joined the pandemic team, I figured I may as well enjoy it, but there's no beer in the house, and to get it delivered today is effectively double the cost. And the only readily available stuff is pisswater like Coors, San Miguel and Hobbes' Choice.

Comment

That's why cider should be your go-to option. 20 litres of Devon Mist in a box from Sandford Orchard for £55 inc delivery (you need to ring up it's not on the website). That'll not only see you through 10 days' quarantine, you can use it to wipe down surfaces and it'll kill every virus known to mankind.
                                            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 24-10-2021, 15:16.

Comment

The crumpets from Trader Joe's come in a 6 pack, which is split into two vacuum packed halves of three crumpets each. Toasters generally have 2 slots. Which means that when you toast the second two crumpets you open the second vacuum packed half for one crumpet, leaving the other two to potentially get stale or mouldy.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                The crumpets from Trader Joe's come in a 6 pack, which is split into two vacuum packed halves of three crumpets each. Toasters generally have 2 slots. Which means that when you toast the second two crumpets you open the second vacuum packed half for one crumpet, leaving the other two to potentially get stale or mouldy.
                                                Packs in the UK are generally 6 or 9. Odd numbers are weird in packs of food.

Comment

We don't have sub-packs, though, do we?

Comment

Why do both slots in the toaster have to be filled?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X