The US police misconduct thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that made it seem even worse, hearing some stupid DJs prattling on while a guy is murdered.

Comment

The police officer from Tulsa will be charged with first degree manslaughter.

Comment

Which is good in the way that they're being held to account, and bad in the way that, you know, they aren't facing murder charges.

Comment

You aren't wrong, but it is extraordinarily difficult to charge (let alone convict) a police officer of murder while on duty here, and that is especially true of states like Oklahoma.

It isn't just politics and the degree to which the police are embedded in the criminal justice process, but also the fact that many states have laws that expressly grant them additional privileges in this respect.

Comment

I still don't have much hope of a jury convicting a white female police officer for killing a large black man that they've already started portraying as being high on PCP.

Comment

Sad but true

Comment

I'll nominate this photo for the Pulitzer Prize ...

North Carolina, via Guardian

Comment

Those two white guys in the blue T-shirts are disrespecting the anthem by not putting their hands on their hearts.

Comment

The Tulsa officer's lawyer is suggesting that she was temporarily deaf prior to her killing Terence Crutcher.

A day earlier, her attorney, Scott Wood, claimed Shelby was so hyper-focused before and during the Sept. 16 shooting that she didn't hear other officers arrive on the scene — or even the deadly gunshot she fired.

“She didn't hear the gunshot, didn't hear the sirens coming up behind her just prior to the shot,” Wood said Thursday.

prior to the shot,” Wood said Thursday.

The condition, sometimes called “auditory exclusion,” happens when people in high-stress situations tune out noises around them, Wood said.

“It's not only a common phenomenon described in literature, but it's the No. 1 perceptual distortion by people I have represented who have been involved in shootings — diminished sound or complete auditory exclusion,” he argued.
                    Not sure how that explains/justifies her seeing that Crutcher had his hands raised and she still shot.

Comment

tee rex wrote: I'll nominate this photo for the Pulitzer Prize ...

North Carolina, via Guardian
                      I'm too much of a pansy to try that on my own. Get my ass kicked.

Comment

The links between the US police and Ireland remain strong.

well at least we're paying attention.

Comment

At the #NoDAPL protests in North Dakota, cops are using water cannon in sub-zero temperatures.

Comment

We Serve And Protect

Comment

Reading the collected tweets of Heath is absolutely jaw dropping.

Comment

This man has just been telling me about this.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/talk.politics.drugs/TbCvKye9M-0

Comment

[posted on wrong thread]

Comment

Philando Castile's killer has been found not guilty.

Comment

Chicago cop Jason Van Dyke found guilty of second degree murder in the killing of Laquan McDonald.

Comment

Jesus H Fucking Christ.
                                        Family of Willie McCoy allege racial profiling after Vallejo police fire ‘multiple rounds’ at man

Comment

https://twitter.com/theappeal/status/1096435053666729984

https://twitter.com/theappeal/status...35053666729984

Comment

Do Border Patrol count as a territorial police force?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47249977

Comment

That term has no meaning in this country.

Comment

It's almost like they can't help themselves, isn't it?

Arizona police arrest and threaten a 12-year old.

That's a12-year old

Also in direct violation of the first amendment to the US Constitution.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-threat-arrest

Comment

That's actually a little surprising just because of the way Patagonia is. I cycled through a couple of months ago and stopped for a coffee and it felt like a tiny, charming, artsy, liberal village. Not the kind of place that would even have a town marshal. I guess that if the role is available, then the least appropriate person in town is the one who'd want the job.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X