• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    There are a number of comparisons here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ther_countries

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...es-by-country/

Essentially, the US incarceration rate is significantly higher than Russia or China's, which are in turn significantly higher than all other developed countries. Turkey is a distant second to the US in the OECD.
    This is the important bit:

“It is the length of sentences that truly distinguishes American prison policy. Indeed, the mere number of sentences imposed here would not place the United States at the top of the incarceration lists. If lists were compiled based on annual admissions to prison per capita, several European countries would outpace the United States. But American prison stays are much longer, so the total incarceration rate is higher."
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 09-06-2020, 02:17.

Comment

Baltimore, incidentally, has been very very quiet.

Comment

That is interesting. Maybe everyone is just too tired.

Comment

It seems to be more we had our meltdowns around cops after Freddie Gray's death in 2015, and this generation of activists learned from it, as well as the BPD. Somewhat. Lots of protest, no real issues.

Comment

That makes sense. There seemed to be a lot of organization happening in Baltimore during that last period of unrest.

Comment

From 2016:
              In 2006, the FBI warned that white supremacists infiltrating local and state law enforcement posed a threat to national security. Some are asking, what's been done to curb the trend in the decade since?

Comment

I just learned of the term "Ghost Skins" tonight. White supremacists who blend into society with the goal of filling police departments with like minded people. It turns my stomach.

Comment

As well as having more prisoners than any other country ( and those prisoners being disproportionately Black) the US also restricts the rights of prisoners to vote.
                  Eight states (Alabama, Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Wyoming) allow some, but not all, persons with felony convictions to vote after having completed their sentences.[20] Some have qualifications of this: for example, Delaware does not restore the franchise until five years after release of a person.[21] Similarly, Kentucky requires that the person take action to gain restoration of the franchise.[17]

One state (Virginia) permanently disfranchises persons with felony convictions.[22]
                  this means that 1 in 6 Adult Black men are disenfranchised

Comment

this thread is worth reading

https://twitter.com/designmom/status/1270038204754919424?s=20

Comment

This is written by the friend of a number of friends. I think it's worth reading

https://medium.com/@SFCG_/im-black-i...p-8ab32f84c572

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        This is written by the friend of a number of friends. I think it's worth reading

https://medium.com/@SFCG_/im-black-i...p-8ab32f84c572
                        Apologies in advance Ad Hoc, and I know I am going to sound like a party pooper but articles like this really wind me up. And I will say why.

The second sentence set the tone.

"I thought the days of public lynchings were over."

And what gave you this idea, George Floyd was a one in a long list of public lynchings by race soldiers?
                        In the last couple of years we have had:

Brianna Taylor
                        Ahmaud Arbery
                        Atatiana Jefferson
                        Botham Jean

And these are just the high profile incidents.

And the solutions were just wooly aspirational intangible nonsense.

This is why I don't like all this feel our pain and people ranting and crying (I will give John Boyega a pass however), it just comes across as performing.

Comment

No need to apologise. I think my tendency is to assume she's talking with her "trying to lead white people into a greater understanding" voice (not so much "I thought the days of public lynchings were over" but "You may have thought..."

(I know a lot of people who work as peacebuilders, and that's the group through which I'm connected to the writer here, and that's kind of a way they do things, part of trying to speak in the voice of those they;re trying to bring over to a greater understanding)

But I absolutely get why it doesn't work for you and in fact winds you up.

Comment

It is extraordinary the extent to which much of "liberal" white opinion has managed to cast each of these events as aberrant one-offs, rather than a pattern and extreme examples of a system that has been in operation for a very long time.

It is testimony to the fact that the way white and black people in this country experience policing is completely different

Comment

Has this been posted yet? Extensive video of Minneapolis police / sheriff / national guards slashing dozens of car tires of news crews, medical personnel and, of course, peaceful protesters.

https://jalopnik.com/videos-show-min...cal-1843956907

Comment

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1270314929678168066

Comment

A useful litany from Harper's

The demonstrations have followed the deaths of George Floyd, a Black community leader who was murdered by Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, and Breonna Taylor, a Black EMT who was shot eight times while lying in bed by police officers who had entered her apartment with a no-knock warrant. During last week’s protests across the United States, police officers arrested more than 10,000 people; assaulted at least 173 journalists; destroyed a medic tent in Asheville, North Carolina; used tear gas on protesters in Seattle after it had been banned by the city; pulled down a man’s face mask to pepper-spray him in Brooklyn; shoved a 75-year-old Buffalo activist onto the ground; groped, beat, and handcuffed a woman in Indianapolis; knee-choked a man for violating a curfew in Columbia, South Carolina; broke into a woman’s car and knee-choked her in Chicago; fractured the skulls of two students by firing “less-lethal” ammunition into a crowd in Austin, Texas; fatally teargassed Sarah Grossman, an environmentalist and recent Ohio State graduate, in Columbus, Ohio; and shot and killed David McAtee, a Rastafarian owner of a barbecue restaurant, while enforcing a curfew in Louisville, Kentucky. Body-camera footage was released showing that 22-year-old Bernardo Palacios-Carbajal was shot more than 20 times while running from the police in Salt Lake City. Police officers used assault weapons to fire more than 40 rounds at a stolen truck in Oakland, California, killing 23-year-old Erik Salgado and injuring his pregnant girlfriend less than a block from his mother’s house. An Edmonton, Alberta, police officer was called to conduct a wellness check on a 26-year-old Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation citizen, Chantal Moore, and shot her dead. When a stun gun failed to interrupt a Bay Area man who was cannibalizing his 90-year-old grandmother, four police officers handcuffed him.

Comment

As far as I can tell, the cause of Sarah Grossman's death (i.e. preliminary to cardiac arrest) is still under investigation.

Comment

Who’s the real victim here?

https://twitter.com/robgeorge/status/1270435160366948358?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/sarahw/status/1270486973493452800

Comment

I had no idea that was still on. I’m surprised to know that the people who make that is not completely without shame.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NY1/status/1270510740714258435

Comment

Minneapolis police initially told the public that George Floyd died after a “medical incident during a police interaction.” The Buffalo, New York, department said a protester “tripped and fell."...

Comment

"Blue Bloods" might have problems seeming credible after this. O'Meara didn't even bother putting some token black cops in the background for that rant.

Comment

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1270570993707335680

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    A useful litany from Harper's

The demonstrations have followed the deaths of George Floyd, a Black community leader who was murdered by Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, and Breonna Taylor, a Black EMT who was shot eight times while lying in bed by police officers who had entered her apartment with a no-knock warrant. During last week’s protests across the United States, police officers arrested more than 10,000 people; assaulted at least 173 journalists; destroyed a medic tent in Asheville, North Carolina; used tear gas on protesters in Seattle after it had been banned by the city; pulled down a man’s face mask to pepper-spray him in Brooklyn; shoved a 75-year-old Buffalo activist onto the ground; groped, beat, and handcuffed a woman in Indianapolis; knee-choked a man for violating a curfew in Columbia, South Carolina; broke into a woman’s car and knee-choked her in Chicago; fractured the skulls of two students by firing “less-lethal” ammunition into a crowd in Austin, Texas; fatally teargassed Sarah Grossman, an environmentalist and recent Ohio State graduate, in Columbus, Ohio; and shot and killed David McAtee, a Rastafarian owner of a barbecue restaurant, while enforcing a curfew in Louisville, Kentucky. Body-camera footage was released showing that 22-year-old Bernardo Palacios-Carbajal was shot more than 20 times while running from the police in Salt Lake City. Police officers used assault weapons to fire more than 40 rounds at a stolen truck in Oakland, California, killing 23-year-old Erik Salgado and injuring his pregnant girlfriend less than a block from his mother’s house. An Edmonton, Alberta, police officer was called to conduct a wellness check on a 26-year-old Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation citizen, Chantal Moore, and shot her dead. When a stun gun failed to interrupt a Bay Area man who was cannibalizing his 90-year-old grandmother, four police officers handcuffed him.

What the actual. Does the incident in bold really belong in the list or am I reading it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X