McCann Twitter Taunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McCann Twitter Taunter

So, this woman who was apparently taunting the McCanns for a larf has killed herself. Guilty woman caught out and can't bear the scrutiny? Innocent woman worried about being hounded to death? Hoisted by her own petard?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/woman-accused-of-trolling-madeleine-mccanns-family-on-twitter-found-dead/article20941320/#dashboard/follows/

McCann Twitter Taunter

1) for me, every suicide is tragic.

2) it is still unclear to me just what she allegedly did in order to "earn" being doorstopped by Sky. From the Guardian coverage, it doesn't seem that she was among the very worst of the McCann trolls.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

Why is this news in the globe & mail? And why does the link not work?

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

The G&M site is having issues today.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

It's reacting badly to the Sun/Post news.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

The antitrust analysis on that deal is going to be interesting.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

caja-dglh wrote: Why is this news in the globe & mail?
              Woman kills herself about being outed as internet troll is probably of interest wherever social media is used. The McCanns element of it is not the key feature, even if the little girls disappearance was once genuinely news throughout the western world.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

The tweet that earned her the ire of The Sun, and a possible police investigation?

"How long must the Mccanns suffer for?... The rest of their miserable lives"

Apart from the lack of an upper case second C in McCann, I'm not even sure that's offensive in any way. It's certainly not threatening, or abusive. in any case.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

That's it? Really?

More work for NewsCorp's legal team.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

No, that's true, indy. I wonder what the rest of her cannon reads like.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

You can read it here if you're bored enough. Standard McCann Conspiracy stuff, nothing too offensive, and hashtagged #mccanns rather than @'d because they don't have Twitter.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

Is it even a conspiracy though? Most people have their suspicions about that whole affair, don't they?

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

Some people on here would suspect them of reckless parenting, rather than having further suspicions than that.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

Should anyone want to re-visit the original thread.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

I had no idea the archive went that far back.
                              I kinda wished it didn't.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

Indeed. I started reading that thread (which I subsequently realised began about a month or two before I joined OTF) and couldn't stop, as a result of which I ended up eating about an hour and a half later than I should have done. It's not especially edifying, though.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

I kind of have a theory, tinged in no small part for my hatred of all things Murdoch.

The original story was the awarding of damages to the McCanns by the Sunday Times who alleged that the McCanns hindered the initial search, which prompted Gerry McCann to renew his attack on the media and how little things had changed post-Leveson. Of course the mere mention of Leveson immediately conjures up a game of word association with Murdoch.

So it cannot be coincidence that Sky News then broke the story of the Met’s investigation of various online postings concerning the McCanns, cue the door-stepping of ‘sweepyface’. To this end, the alleged trolling of an unsuspecting individual became the enduring headline of the day as opposed to the conduct of a Murdoch-owned enterprise. Mission accomplished.

Now Sky News are saying that they followed procedure in highlighting those who accused the McCanns without evidence just like the Sunday Times followed procedure in which they made their own accusations without evidence that led to a libel case that has been forgotten amongst this furore.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

A lot of things have been forgotten about this whole sorry episode.

Like the fact children were left unattended for an unreasonable amount of time.

As if they should be left unattended at all of course.

I suppose I’m trying to say that PR is everywhere.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

If you follow ursus' link, you'll find that I made that point about 55 times. It wasn't always well received, though. That said, 7+ years have passed and the conversation has, rightly I believe, moved past that point.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

Should the conversation "move past" that point though...?

Root causes and all that.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

If you follow ursus' link, you'll find that I made that point about 55 times. It wasn't always well received, though. That said, 7+ years have passed and the conversation has, rightly I believe, moved past that point.

Should the conversation "move past" that point though...?

Root causes and all that.
                                          Practically speaking, the conversation has had to move past it, but it's nonetheless a key factor in the little girl's disappearance.

Like WOM, I also made that same point more than once on that old thread. One tends to become repetitious when others simply aren't getting the basic point. (One or two peculiar instances of folk making crass comments like 'oh, I suppose you can't even go to the toilet and leave your kid alone in bed, then?' or similar - as though that's remotely comparable to what happened. Anyway...)

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

WOM wrote: If you follow ursus' link, you'll find that I made that point about 55 times. It wasn't always well received, though. That said, 7+ years have passed and the conversation has, rightly I believe, moved past that point.
                                            The PR point? The managing of information around the case.

This tragedy has been in and out of the news in the UK for the past 7 years and here it is again.

It wasn’t until I read the first couple of pages of the link that I remembered that they left their children unattended.

It probably says more about me, my memory and my interest, I don’t know, but I think it raised an interesting question around the management of the story.

And while this story has indeed moved on, the questions around whether to leave children unattended for any length of time are still relevant.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

The McCann case is like foxhunting or boxing. Regardless of the moral dimension of the circumstances, it's more troubling because it makes lots of humans act the cunt.

I can't get past the horror of losing a child, and knowing that you could have avoided it. People wanting to ascribe some form of blame just seem fucking ghoulish to me. There's no level of hell deeper than the one in which they place themselves.

Move along. There's nothing to see here, still less talk about. It's just unremittingly grim.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

It was never about 'ascribing blame' (not in my case, anyway) - apart from being callous, that would achieve nothing. The discussion as I recall developed beyond the McCann case, which of course was/is monumentally awful. As are all child abductions. (Of course nobody would wish that unimaginable pain on anyone.)

But if someone on a forum is going to suggest that the couple's actions were somehow 'unavoidable' (as some kind of indisputable truth), then I'm not just going to sit silently and agree with that.

'Ghoulish' are those who choose to seek people out and torment them - like these idiot trolls, dead, living or otherwise.

But, as you say, time to move on.

Comment

McCann Twitter Taunter

NickSTFU wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by WOM
                                                  The PR point? The managing of information around the case.
                                                  No, the point that the parents were indeed partially responsible by leaving very small children unattended in a hotel room. Whether that's 'victim blaming' or not was neither here nor there to me then, nor is it now.

However, once the blame has been placed, move the fuck on. That this woman was still making a hobby (or whatever) of it 7 years later is pathetic. We get it. The parents were negligent. Now, let's look at everything else that's happened since then.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X