• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Pooh happens for real

That's a great story.

Comment

The Polar Bear Express sounds completely ace.

And you can combine it with a visit to that polar bear sanctuary where you swim with the bears.

Comment

I think we're now planning TonTon's trip here next year, aren't we?

Comment

Are there any cool northern journeys that begin in Winnipeg? I'm thinking that if and when I move to the Twin Cities, I'll drive up to Winnipeg to see what there is to see. It's about 8 hours, I think.

Comment

This is a possibility

Comment

Wow! That looks fantastic. I'll definitely look into that.

Also, someday I'd like to go to a CFL game just to see what it's like and how it's different. I imagine the prices are cheaper than the NFL.

Comment

Substantially. The Lions official prices range from CDN $28 (End Zone) to CDN $75 (Centre line.) But you can often do better through the official touts. The Bombers are usually a good team (except this year.) Pick a game against Western opponents, though they play in the East their history's in the West, and the western clubs are uniformly better anyway.

Comment

How come no-one told me about this thread?

Comment

I thought the subject matter might have been a little grisly given that SR has foretold your imminent death on the dreams thread.

Actually, I always assume you're lurking, to be honest.

Comment

Did I die? I thought I landed on a thingy and survived nicely thanks. Death would be sad, I think. Not for me, obv, but maybe for my mum.

I used always to be lurking, but then I had ot get a job, and I can't keep up.

That train journey to Churchill, I'm going to do that. That is going to be fantastic.

Comment

Because you can never get enough of stories on beheadings:

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has shown its grasp of ethics by comparing the veent to everyday animal slaughter. In a press release, the group said:

"Like human victims, animals in slaughterhouses experience terror when they are attacked by a knife-wielding assailant. We are challenging everyone who is rightly horrified by this crime to look into their hearts and consider leaving violence off their dinner plates."
                        Meanwhile, members of the Westboro Baptist church from Topeka, Kansas, have tried to picket the victim's funeral because, and I fucking wish I was making this up, they wanted to let Canadians know that the beheading was God's punishment for our liberal policies on gay marriage and abortion. Truly.

TonTon, before you get too excited about the Curchill trip, make sure to check some websites on polar bear habitats and migrations. I'm not sure how easy it is to see them in Churchill in October, when the area is ice-free.

Comment

October / November is the time, you want to be there a bit before the ice reforms, to see them all gathering and that.

Comment

Oh well, there you go. Perfect, then.

Comment

Did I mention that it's the only time polar bears are ever social? Generally they keep themselves very much to themselves.

Comment

Why, is it mating season or something?

You're not going 4000 miles just to watch enormously large mammals copulate, are you?

Comment

hahahaha

Nahh, that's what the internet is for.

Mating is around April time. I meant more yer big groups, in terms of being social. They do shag at other times, and mummy bear looks after baby bears for a while. But this is the only time they get together in numbers.

Comment

Vince Li, the Greyhound Bus disemboweller, found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Couldn't see that coming at all.

Comment

As I mentioned on the '1 in 18 Men' thread, I think this was the right verdict for everyone. Except the victim's mother, or course, who's out for blood.

I think the dumbest thing I've heard in a long while was from the guy across the aisle from Li when he attacked: "I understand that what he did was beyond his control, but he still should have chosen not to do it."

What this whole thing has reinforced, for me, is that a lot of people can see only black or white in these matters. No gray anywhere. He did it, so lock him up. Forever.

Comment

Working...
                                      X