When Pooh happens for real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly they didn't build a heffalump trap...

Surely to fuck if they could shoot it dead they could get a clear shot to tranquillise the poor bugger.

I suppose being shot dead was a better way to go than seeing food and water but having no way to consume it, but still.

Comment

Yes, but the constitution doesn't mention the right to bear tranquillisers...

Comment

Ahahahahahahaha...no, that really was funny.

I wish someone would euthanise me right now. Do you think if I stuck a large plastic jar on my head and wandered onto the NJ Turnpike it would happen?

Comment

I suppose you can shoot an animal from anything up to two hundred yards away with a bullet, when you don't care about plate-sized exit wounds, but to get a tranquilizer dart to stick without harming the animal you need to be a lot closer.

Stories like this always remind me of that great "conservation" chestnut that's sure to upset any dinner party in deepest wildest Putney: would you put up with a bear/tiger/jaguar living in your back garden, or would you be straight on the phone to "the authorities" demanding they come and get rid of the fucking thing before it ate one of your kids?

Comment

This story really saddens me, even though lately I've been wigging out about bears after reading about the two guys in Russia who were eaten by bears that may stand 10 feet tall.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
              Stories like this always remind me of that great "conservation" chestnut that's sure to upset any dinner party in deepest wildest Putney: would you put up with a bear/tiger/jaguar living in your back garden, or would you be straight on the phone to "the authorities" demanding they come and get rid of the fucking thing before it ate one of your kids?
              Why would that upset a dinner party in Putney?

Comment

shot the animal after it wandered into a busy Minnesota town.
                Efforts to tranquilise the animal failed because the bear "stayed in forested areas", he said.
                Yes. Busy towns are often thickly forested areas.

Comment

Or, you know, anywhere else?

Comment

Let the bears pay the bear tax.

Comment

I am currently in real-life Pooh land. Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Winnie-the-Pooh was named after Winnipeg, a regimental mascot from the city's Fort Garry Horse militia regiment. Instead of taking the mascot over into the trenches in WWI, they left him in London and donated him to the Regent Park zoo, where he was spotted by Milne and his son.

It's shit out here. Rainy and not at all summer-like. But one hell of a story from just outside of town - man slaughtered and decapitated on Greyhound bus last night. My brother went out to cover it at about 11PM last night - I'm morbidly anticipating his debrief.

Comment

Weren't "Teddy" Bears so named after Theodore Roosevelt, who once refused to shoot a bear cub?

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:But one hell of a story from just outside of town - man slaughtered and decapitated on Greyhound bus last night. My brother went out to cover it at about 11PM last night - I'm morbidly anticipating his debrief.
                          "It was pretty traumatic," he said, adding that some passengers said they have been unable to sleep or eat since it happened.
                          Fuck me Canadian's really do have a gift for understatement don't they?

A guy stabs another passenger 50-60 times and then hacks off his head and "guts him up" and it's described by a witness as "pretty traumatic"!

Comment

I don't know if it was a cub - he chose not to shoot a bear that was tied to a tree because he thought it unsporting.

Edit: to Rogin.

Comment

More on that story.

It's created a bit of a kerfuffle in Minnesota.

Apparently, the cops on hand simply didn't have a tranq gun, so when they say they couldn't tranquilize it, I think they mean they couldn't get close enough to it to put a syringe in it because it would have run away into the woods.

Comment

ad hoc wrote:

Yes. Busy towns are often thickly forested areas.[/quote]
                                That's not all that uncomon, a lot of towns in N America are contiguous to black bear habitat, particularly with the growing popularity of "exurbs".

Comment

That's true, but not so much in this case. Frazee, Minnesota is fairly rural, but there were a lot of people around celebrating "Turkey Days." I don't know what that's all about but I assume it is some sort of typical American rural fesitval devoted to the area's most popular agricultural product. Minnesota and North Carolina are by far the largest producers of turkeys in the US (fact fans!).

Comment

http://www.zwire.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=19853453&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id =624602&rfi=8

Our house backs on to the park with the ball fields mentioned in this article. No bear was harmed in the posting of this link.

Comment

We're now up to suggestions of ritual disembowlment and cannibalism in the Manitoba Greyhound Bus case. What a complete and utter shit show. My brother got back from the scene at 6 AM and said he'd never seen anything like it.

Comment

Cannibalism?

Was he going to eat the guy between Portage La Prairie and Winnipeg?

I'd be more concerned if your brother had seen anything like this before.

Is Manitoba part of his beat for the G&M, or did he just happen to be there?

Comment

Comment

It must have been when he was shut in the bus by himself, before the police arrived (about ten minutes.)

This is all over the news here obviously. Most memorable quote: “I tried to lay down at 4 o'clock this morning and I was up 10 minutes later, because every time I close my eyes I see this man in the window with some guy's head I just smoked a cigarette with an hour before,”

Comment

My favourite quotes involved the maritimer referring to the deceased as "buddy".

The attacker was on the bus alone for about four hours after the stabbing as police tried to negotiate with him. During that period, as I understand it, he was seen eating pieces of the corpse. Latest update here

My brother is the G&M bureau chief for Winnipeg. Although he is heading back to Toronto to be the national Aboriginal beat reporter in about two weeks.

Comment

Bet he wishes he'd already gone...

Comment

Possibly. Although getting the front page for a couple of days in a row is pretty addictive for journos...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X