No announcement yet.

Irish Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flynnie, thank you again for linking that piece. It is an extremely difficult read, but I've learned a lot from having read it. It is a godawful story and words can't express how it makes me feel. I do very much hope that the victim has finally found peace.

The technical questions I raised seem almost indecent in the fuller context, but in case others are curious, there is clearly a significant difference between what we would call the "juvenile justice system" here and what the Republic has. When juveniles are tried as adults here, they are subject to the same procedures and potential punishments as adults. The Irish have a hybrid procedure that provides for trials in the most serious criminal courts, but provides child defendants with a series of procedural safeguards, while allowing significant discretion (including in sentencing) to the trial judge that s/he doesn't have in an adult trial.

Now that I understand the framework and am infinitely more aware of the details of the case, I agree with the prosecutors' decision to charge the defendants with murder and the way in which the trial was conducted. I only wish that the crime had never occurred.

Comment

Yeah, it is very interesting to see how different the Irish state does it and how they appear to be consciously trying not to ape the worst excesses of their fellow inheritors of the common law (I believe the Bulger case is mentioned in the piece, namely what a tabloid circus it was). Also interesting to see how the court placed a certain trust in the media to censor itself, lest its reporting privileges be revoked.

the vulnerability of the victim, her physical disabilities and her fish out of water circumstances make it particularly sad. I hope she is in a better place than here.

Comment

https://www.thejournal.ie/gemma-odoh...12051-Jul2019/

so the Irish Alex Jones is going full defamation suit rather than just threatening as has been her previous MO. The anti vax race bating fucker in any just world would lose the case and be bankrupted by her costs. But Ireland's defamation laws are piss weak between a bullshit deferential reading of the Reynolds case and the fucking shitey constitution and its Good Name clause.

I know Berba thinks it's all good sunshine and rainbows and multi racial ambi sexual togetherness in the 26 but I fear she's a harbinger. Her successors won't be as unhinged chemtrails frothers.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 06-07-2019, 00:16.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Was reminiscing about that day with one of erstwhile Irish posters and E10 on Twitter earlier.

What a surreal experience that was in the VIP seats we lucked into.
          You lucky bastard

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
            https://www.thejournal.ie/gemma-odoh...12051-Jul2019/

so the Irish Alex Jones is going full defamation suit rather than just threatening as has been her previous MO. The anti vax race bating fucker in any just world would lose the case and be bankrupted by her costs. But Ireland's defamation laws are piss weak between a bullshit deferential reading of the Reynolds case and the fucking shitey constitution and its Good Name clause.

I know Berba thinks it's all good sunshine and rainbows and multi racial ambi sexual togetherness in the 26 but I fear she's a harbinger. Her successors won't be as unhinged chemtrails frothers.
            Did you read that at all? She's the one that is being sued for defamation in the High court, for slandering an immunologist. This is a countersuit. This is not going to go well for her if she applied the same standard of factual basis and clear thinking that she uses on the rest of that topic, to dealing with this poor unfortunate.

Comment

One just hates to see it

[URL="https://twitter.com/fintanotoolbox/status/1147068877077123075?s=21"]https://twitter.com/fintanotoolbox/status/1147068877077123075[/URL]

Comment

I'd wonder about the sanity of someone who really wanted to visit the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre anyway.

Comment

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...71015?mode=amp

get tae fuck ya posh cunts. Why the fuck does the Irish state pay the salaries of teachers at Clongowes? Burn these chinless rugger cunt factories to the ground. Eimear and Eoghan should be forced to share a playground with skangers.

Comment

I am reading that right?

The reason why the taxpayer is subsidising private schools is because they are threatening to become state schools if the subsidy is removed?

And this works over there?

Comment

Yes. An illustration of why Labour never fought harder to stop the subsidy (along with FG being the Party of Rugger Cunts who went to Idiot Finishing School) is that Ruari Quinn/Jan O Sullivan's junior Minister at Education (also a Labour Man) was v concerned this would destroy their remaining "core" Dublin vote (after they had lost the plebs to Austerity and the Shinners) of South Dublin Irish Times Reading Avoca shopping bleeding heart Bacikite yummy mummies with their darlings in private schooling (the Junior Minister represented some bit of South Dublin and is a lanky supercilious cunt).
                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 30-07-2019, 20:07.

Comment

Gotta look after yer core in Irish politics. Basic decency and morality ain't a vote winner.

Comment

Ruairi Quinn went to Blackrock. I think that's a major factor. I'm not sure that's a good description of labour remaining vote outside of his constituency. Also Fine Gael were not keen on it either. It wasn't just Labour that were in government in that time period.

In my father's first year of teaching, (1962) he was paid by the school, then the following year, he received a payment from the school, and the state. This situation went on for a little while, until the govt reached an agreement with the teachers unions that all teachers would get paid the same, because teachers were paid wildly different sums for the same work, at the same time that free education was introduced, necessitating the hiring of enormous new numbers of teachers, and the loss of fees in most cases. (As all bar four schools outside the vocational system were in the hands of a church, usually the Church) all the church schools negotiated as a bloc, and so you wound up with the state paying the wages of teachers in blackrock.

Ultimately the problem is that if these schools had to pay the salaries of teachers, fees would have to triple. I would be very relaxed about that.

Comment

I wasn't meaning Quinn. I think he and O'Sullivan actually wanted to stop the subventions. It was a Lab Minister of State giving out, around 2015. My edited by Amor De Cosmos bit also admitted the clammy embrace of FG in the Govt.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 30-07-2019, 20:15.

Comment

I am amazed that the fees for a Top School are less than what it costs to send a kid to crèche for a year. Fucking disgusting.

Comment

I see Legitimate Concerns have surfaced in Co. Galway over a proposed "refugee hostel". Lots of speak yr branes cunts giving out on RTE. Gemma O'D types are planting a seed.

Comment

hmm, is that the connemara gateway hotel in oughterard? Putting a refugee asylum hostel there is madness. This sort of thing wouldn't be a problem if there was the understanding that the refugee hostel would be accompanied by a substantial increase in local services to support them, which would also address a lot of the problems that the locals have. But that's not how it works. They just get dumped in a town, and it's up to the local people to sort out things for them to do. This usually works out reasonably well, but it is taking the piss. It is taking the piss out of the They're going to keep doing this until something really bad happens. all because resolving this issue would require building so many council houses that no-one would mind if you gave some to refugees.

Comment

I get what you're saying, esp re social housing, but at least one of the vox poppers was pure Fear of The Unknown. And she was the youngest. I do get the vibe at least some of the interviewed wouldn't have been happy even if there were adequate services in place for the town.

Comment

When we hit our next inevitable downturn/crash sometime very soon, refugees will be the first in line for Sindo Something Must be Done op eds. It's the pinched faced middle classes I'd fear as much as the folk who "compete" for social housing with Them 'Uns.

Comment

https://m.independent.ie/business/pe...-38489598.html

the fault of central govt housing policy more than the council. But at the same time, fuck DCC. Fuck em right in the ear.

Comment

Meanwhile keeping fucking Cattle farmers happy seems the priority of govt. fucking silage stinking grifters.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            Meanwhile keeping fucking Cattle farmers happy seems the priority of govt. fucking silage stinking grifters.
                                            Can you imagine if workers tried that, we'd be battered off the streets by the cops and if we tried it again, they'd have the army on to us.

Comment

Fionnan sheehan has been promoted sideways out of the editors job at the irish independent.

Comment

Shouldn't that be in the Irish Independent thread?

Comment

It would seem that Noel Grealish TD said considerably more than his prayers at that meeting at oughterard, claiming that while syrians and christians being persecuted in the middle east were legitimate refugees, africans were freeloading on the asylum system, which a) suggests a disturbing lack of knowledge of how people in the Direct provision live b) shows a remarkable lack of awareness of the variety of wars, civil conflicts, religious tensions etc that affect certain parts of what is a fucking unimaginably huge and diverse continent.

It would seem that Noel has shown his true colours. The Only TD's who would say anything remotely positive about him were Michael Collins TD (ind) from West Cork, and Mattie fucking mcGrath, who decided to use the opportunity to praise Viktor Orban and his conservative attitude to migration. There's a good chance that I'm going to be seeing Mattie next weekend, and I am going to fucking melt his ear, but primarily by saying how disappointed my father is in him. First there was his bizarre obsession with controlling the sexual behaviour of young women, which in fairness, was always likely to be on the cards. It's the fascism that came as a bit of a surprise. The odd thing is that Mattie's main political base is the most diverse town in the fucking country.

I had my eye on Noel Grealish anyway. One of the problems that my Mam has with selling up her home place, is that Apparently it is sitting on top of a huge ball of Molybdenum and there's talk of mining it. Now this is never going to happen for a wide variety of reasons, not least of which is that the idea of building a large mine on the Wild Atlantic Way, In the middle of one of Ireland's main tourist areas in the middle of areas of special conservation, where locals can't get planning permission for houses, and septic tanks have to come from the future, at the end of some of the narrowest, and twistiest roads in Europe, and right beside one of the main climate centres in the world......., and in an area where hostile locals burned out the police station in 2011....

Anyway, all four local td's are against this. Even the Blueshirts, But Noel hasn't said anything. I find that fascinating.

Comment

Never trust an ex PD.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X