Irish Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Or 1.8% and over 6,000 first preference votes, to be precise.
    Either way, she still came behind Ben Gilroy, of hurling video infamy.

Comment

I'm not saying she's amazingly popular (frankly, I hadn't even heard of her until her name appeared on this thread) but the harmonious picture of race relations and attitudes towards immigration in the Republic that TAB painted is obviously not quite the full story.
      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 04-06-2019, 13:44.

Comment

In 2004, 80% in a Referendum voted to end automatic citizenship for all Irish-born children. Not quite the same issue but it's probably more telling than some gaunch getting 2% in the Euros.

Comment

The broader point is that to date, the country has avoided the voluntary segregation prevalent in Britain and across Europe (which is not to excuse the disgrace that is the direct provision system for asylum seekers), and by and large, new arrivals are playing a full and active role in their communities:

http://twitter.com/cooney_ian/status/1135563131915251713

That's not to dismiss the support for Peter Casey in rural areas, but the political parties have, for once, shown considerable maturity on this issue.

Comment

I would imagine that Bannon and his ilk are trying rather hard to create a "movement" in his ancestral homeland.

I would also note that InfoWars makes money off of stunts like this even if literally no one in Ireland watches. They need "content" to keep the rubes watching so that they can sell them dietary supplements, dick pills, and tat.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ

Attitudes towards immigration in Ireland would be no different to those in Britain, I'm afraid. It's perhaps less of an issue here at the minute because of the uncomfortable fact that, barring the large influx of Polish people around the time of the Celtic Tiger, Ireland has never had a major influx of refugees or immigrants on the scale that's evident in Britain or Germany, for example. The notion that we're somehow more enlightened or "mature" than British people is nonsense.
              The attitudes are different to Britain though, not necessarily better, it would simply be weird if the people of a small country, with a 200 year tradition of mass emigration had the same attitudes towards migration as a large country with a relatively long history of moderate inward migration. (And a weird tendency to think of their economic migrants as Ex-Pats). Also, there used to be 25% more people living here at one point. In 1840 there were twice as many people living here as were living in the Netherlands, now it's a third.

Everyone above a certain age has either emigrated themselves for a spell, or their siblings emigrated. There's a much greater familiarity with global migration, particularly among village dwellers who can trace their roots in that village back to the stone age. That's a huge difference. The other thing is that we don't think that net migration in the region of 0.5% of the population is that unusual. The other thing is that the increase in migrants is tied to all those foreign companies setting up here, and huge amounts of money pouring into the country. Though It certainly does help that the four main groups of people moving here though are Irish people coming home, the children of Irish people in the Uk, English people, and Poles (who may as well be the lost 13th tribe of Ireland, for all the bizarre similarities between us)

But the issue largely boils down to resources. Rural Ireland is always worrying that it is dying (which isn't an unreasonable position to hold) however resources are allocated on the basis of numbers here, so most places in Ireland literally do not give two shits where you come from as long as you send your kids to the local primary school, so they get to keep their full complement of teachers. The countryside of the west of Ireland is dotted with closed one and two room schools, which act as tombstones for the era of an extensive local population in these areas. All they really want to do is be able to field a GAA team. That's a really big flashing sign for a lot of Irish communities. There's a lot of people who drive a lot of miles every year in order to ensure that local clubs keep going.

This then goes on to explain the phenomenon of Direct provision. See, the issue here isn't necessarily that you want to do things this way, it's what do you do when you get rid of it. Lets say that they get rid of direct provision tomorrow. You have to provide these people with accommodation. Now imagine a situation where people are angry about the total failure to provide public sector housing, and then for asylum seekers to jump straight to the top of the Queue? That's when you'd see what people had to say about things. The thing is that Irish people and people who moved here aren't in competition in any meaningful sense. The Good people of Ireland have decided that they don't want to spend any money on providing state accommodation, and this is another community that is prepared to pay the price.
              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 04-06-2019, 13:41.

Comment

The leader and only elected representative of Renua has left the party:

http://twitter.com/electionlit/status/1138366116949106689

Comment

Boys A and B found guilty, Irish posters will know what I mean, everyone else Google at your own risk, it's really nasty stuff.

Comment

Reportedly the youngest defendants ever found guilty of murder in the Republic.

How was the decision made to try them as adults? Here, it is up to the local prosecutors.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                      Boys A and B found guilty, Irish posters will know what I mean, everyone else Google at your own risk, it's really nasty stuff.
                      The meeja have been making a right show of it as well. For the last two months, every time I log on to the Irish Times or RTE website, there's a picture of that poor girl on the front page and some headline alluding to some kind of graphic details.

I've never understood the morbid fascination that the general public has for murder trials. I can't stomach them. I really wish there had been more restrictions on the reporting.

Comment

I've no idea what this case is and don't plan to Google it but it sounds like the James Bulger case in the UK.

Comment

It's fuckin disturbing the way the August Media have been just as prurient as the Sunday World/Sun/Indo usual voyeuristic bastards. Court cases shouldn't be News in the same way as when the crime was actually committed. No need for a running commentary for ghouls.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                            I've no idea what this case is and don't plan to Google it but it sounds like the James Bulger case in the UK.
                            Except with the addition of sexual violence for added clicks.

Comment

It's going to be hell if McGregor actually goes to court on the rape charge.

Comment

I'd say trying them as adults was a DPP decision, no doubt due to the Public Outrage if it was done in a children's court behind closed doors (and the defendants then not having criminal records).

Comment

There's another Spouse killing case I see, the Sindo/Sunday World Paul Williams axis loves them. Fucking vile.

Comment

Sounds like Boy B’s father made a fucking arse of himself in front of a family whose daughter his son killed.

Comment

AE.the victim in this case was significantly older than Bulger, though still very much a minor.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                        I'd say trying them as adults was a DPP decision, no doubt due to the Public Outrage if it was done in a children's court behind closed doors (and the defendants then not having criminal records).
                                        Reading an Irish Times article about this says that all murder and rape cases fall under the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court rather than Children’s Court. Public opinion doesn’t come into it.

Comment

But surely there is some discretion involved in charging those crimes, no?

Comment

On a happier note, today is the 25th anniversary of John Sheridan hitting the crossbar against Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              But surely there is some discretion involved in charging those crimes, no?
                                              I guess you’d have to ask what interests are being served by not charging two boys with murder because they’re young when the evidence they did it was strong enough to get a conviction (and I’d say truly overwhelming in the case of Boy A).

Someone’s going to have to be the youngest convicted murderers in the history of the Irish state, and these two seem as good candidates as any.

Comment

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...29570?mode=amp

the article by the way. Very long read and thrown up hastily after the verdict, hence the odd misspelling or weird syntax, but very comprehensive.

Comment

Flynnie, I don't know enough about the case to question the wisdom of trying them as adults but am interested in the process.

thanks for the link, which I will read.

Comment

On a happier note, today is the 25th anniversary of John Sheridan hitting the crossbar against Italy.
                                                    Was reminiscing about that day with one of erstwhile Irish posters and E10 on Twitter earlier.

What a surreal experience that was in the VIP seats we lucked into.
                                                    Last edited by ursus arctos; 19-06-2019, 02:45.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X