Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds like a good fit.

Comment

Has anyone had cause to note the Independent's new Economics Correspondent, David Chance?
      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 20-05-2019, 14:56.

Comment

I presume the money was just resting in his account?

Comment

No, what has mr Chance been up to?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
            No, what has mr Chance been up to?

Oh, nothing that I know of. I used to work with him at Reuters many moons ago though and have a ton of stories about him, most of them unpublishable. Really odd guy. He was Reuters Bureau Chief in South Korea for ages so I'm a bit surprised to see him back in Europe.

I've still got a lump on my shin where the fucker tried to break my leg during a 5-a-side game.

Comment

Judges in Ireland need to clamp down on detailed media reporting of ongoing rape and murder trials.

First the daily details of the Ulster rugby trial, and now the two schoolkids accused of murdering the young German girl.

It's no benefit to the victim / victim's family to have these kinds of details coming out in the press every day.

Comment

Irish funerals are pretty rapid, aren't they. The guy I sit next to at work's father died last Tuesday. They had the funeral on the Thursday. He hadn't got a valid passport or any valid photo ID, so he couldn't make it. Seems a bit unfair for those with non-Irish based families (i.e. half the population).

Comment

That is quite quick, but not unheard of. usually it would be died tuesday, prepared on wednesday, waked on thursday, buried on friday. I'm surprised that the Irish embassy in London weren't able to sort him out. It's a big part of what they are there for

Comment

yeah, you'd think it would be easy for them to organise a piece of photo ID for an Irish citizen to travel within the common travel area

Comment

He's got (or rather hasn't got) a British passport. (Actually I've told him to get an Irish one for when Brexit comes...)

Comment

Hmm, did he actually try the irish embassy? Because if his dad was Irish, he's basically in the same position as someone born in ireland who has allowed their passport lapse.

Comment

No. Everything took him by surprise, especially his father's death, so he ended up not going. He's off over as soon as his new passport arrives.

Comment

Yeah, I reckoned that it must have been a shock thing, and also it's not entirely obvious to someone in his position that he's exactly as entitled to an Irish passport, and embassy support as I am.

Comment

The Irish media and public also have difficulty grasping that concept. The great majority of the people in the UK who are now applying for Irish passports due to Brexit were Irish citizens since birth (whether they were aware of it or not). All they are doing now is applying for a travel document, as is their right as an Irish citizen, just like how I apply for a passport when my old one expires. But the way the Irish media are reporting it, you'd think that they were naturalising themselves as new Irish citizens.

Comment

I'd also like to know what proportion of folk identified as Scottish or English living in Ireland are in fact as Irish in law as someone born on the island.

Comment

I know someone whose uncle only has a Dutch passport (Dutch parents) but who was born in Ireland, but was unsure if he was entitled to an Irish passport, and social welfare/pinshun etc (though he has lived here the last 15 years since returning from the States).

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                    The Irish media and public also have difficulty grasping that concept. The great majority of the people in the UK who are now applying for Irish passports due to Brexit were Irish citizens since birth (whether they were aware of it or not). All they are doing now is applying for a travel document, as is their right as an Irish citizen, just like how I apply for a passport when my old one expires. But the way the Irish media are reporting it, you'd think that they were naturalising themselves as new Irish citizens.
                                    Yup, that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      I'd also like to know what proportion of folk identified as Scottish or English living in Ireland are in fact as Irish in law as someone born on the island.
                                      I don't think that they're counted as anything but Irish, I wouldn't be sure about it makes it difficult to keep track of the number of people who have moved here from the UK over the last 20 years. I don't know if my dad has been anything other than Irish on any documentation here. It kind of makes sense when you think about it, given how many of the people that would come under that heading would be people from northern Ireland, and best just avoid that whole discussion with them.

Comment

It's just I think DR had Teh Brits as the biggest minority in Ireland on some old thread, and I've read there's tens of thousands of Scots in the 26 (and I did meet a schoolmate in Doyles years back), but whenever I say I'm here without immediate family ties the reaction is one of surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          It's just I think DR had Teh Brits as the biggest minority in Ireland on some old thread, and I've read there's tens of thousands of Scots in the 26 (and I did meet a schoolmate in Doyles years back), but whenever I say I'm here without immediate family ties the reaction is one of surprise.
                                          Even if they have Irish passports, the Census will officially record them as British, unless they formally apply for naturalisation - 103,000 with the former status, and over 15,000 with dual nationality.

Comment

Desperation by Leo:

http://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1131511048190779392

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Even if they have Irish passports, the Census will officially record them as British, unless they formally apply for naturalisation
                                              To have an Irish passport, you must be an Irish citizen. Naturalisation is the process of acquiring citizenship. Why would people who are already Irish citizens apply for naturalisation?

Comment

So the Irish Govt gets some lovely money?

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

To have an Irish passport, you must be an Irish citizen. Naturalisation is the process of acquiring citizenship. Why would people who are already Irish citizens apply for naturalisation?
                                                  They would have Irish heritage, and the British holders can vote by virtue of bilateral agreements, but a passport wouldn't automatically make them Irish citizens - otherwise, millions of Americans with Irish grandparents would claim citizenship.

Comment

Article 9.2 of the Constitution - Irish citizen defined as someone born on the island of Ireland, to one parent who is an Irish citizen.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X