Irish Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GERRY ADAMS GETS PERMISSION TO APPEAL 1970S CONVICTIONS
    To quote Sgt Wilson "Do you think that's wise " I can only imagine the amount of stuff the PSNI have on file that they could throw at wee Gerry in a court of law.

Comment

I have no fuckin idea why militant Midlands culchies are occupying banks on behalf of a dodgy fermer tax defaulter, but there ya go. The things people put up with in Ireland with barely a muttered comment, and the things that cause conflagrations, it’s funny sometimes.
      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-12-2018, 18:44.

Comment

Michael Collins Td has previously escaped my notice. My god, what a gom.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-12-2018, 18:00.

Comment

Between this and burning out refugee hostels it’s like the horrible shadow of far right idiocy is bursting its previous dam of FG councilors and Independent TDs.
          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-12-2018, 18:44.

Comment

There's always been a tendency in culchie land to equate not paying mortgages and taxes with sticking it to the man, that and the continuing respect to the "big house" landlord means all sorts of crooks who should be in jail get treated like heroes. Although in fairness the Buncrana hostel incident seemed to be an isolated incident that was widely condemned.
            F

Comment

Something the buncrana hostel thing happened in Clogheen near where I'm from in the early 2000's. The fella who did it was stone mad, and had been in jail for battering his mam. They found somewhere else locally to put the refugees.

That thing about the farmers is just so mental. As far as I can make out, it was a farmer who borrowed money to buy more land and do farmer things, then the crash came and revenue hit him with a judgement for €500k for Vat fraud (including taxes and penalties) and that seems to have punctured him below the waterline. It is extraordinarily difficult to get to the point where you are hiring people to evict people. it takes nearly 10 years, and you basically have to not engage with the process at all. The Bank doesn't want to be evicting people because it's an utter PR nightmare. They had a guy from New Beginnings which was an organization set up to help people in mortgage arrears, and to give them legal advice, and lobby for changes in the law. He was saying that it was very rare to wind up in a situation like this, and that for it to get to this point, you have to not engage with the process at all. If you pay a relatively small amount, you won't get put out of your home. Our Law is set up to make this very hard.

What happened afterwards is pure mental bollocks. As far as I can make out, it's dissident Republicans kicking off, and trying to build a broader network of support by doing 'popular' things. The other thing is that the security guards doing it have to be hired from Northern Ireland, and Loyalist paramilitaries seem to have much of that business sewn up. Republican paramilitaries have other areas of the security industry sewn up. (security on films and tv for instance)

Comment

Em, is Mary Robinson being a dupe for her pals in the fucking Dubai royal family?

Comment

I have no idea what she is doing.

Comment

The state papers for 1988 are going to be coming out today and tomorrow. I wonder what sort of dark psychotic satanic shit we're going to learn about the British Govt this time.

Comment

Last time I heard Mary-Mary Kuwait-Contrary so animated was when she slammed an English hack for introducing "ex-President of the Irish Republic". Must remember to swerve her table at the next Trinity College reunion...

While Berba waits for the next Maggie ate dead babies non-shocker, check out yesterdays Indo- seems 250 houses in Galway face imminent inundation by the raging Atlantic

Comment

The whole Robinson thing is the problem you get with these UN type high up fuckers all being palsy. Princess whoever does a bit of charity work and had a great chat with Mary so of course the murderous child slave jockey Salafist bastard Emir can’t be bad.

Comment

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...54155?mode=amp

Another direct provision refugee hostel attacked. Fucking hell.

Comment

Yes. Ireland just as bad as other countries in Europe, just hasn't voted for a Wilders / Le Pen / Haider style moron yet due the unique political landscape involving civil war and troubles politics.

Comment

Brian Crowley, who hasn't attended the European Parliament since the 2014 election, has, mercifully, announced his retirement. First poll of 2019:

FG 32% (+2)
                              FF 23% (-1)
                              SF 16% (-3)
                              Independent 11% (-6)
                              Labour 7% (+1)
                              Greens 4% (+2)
                              Sol/PBP 4 (+3)
                              Soc Dems 3% (+1)
                              32 County Movement (Peadar Tóibín's unnamed party) 2% (New entry)

Comment

He seemed to have some brass neck on his RTÉ interview. Surely he should have resigned his seat years back.

Aer Lingus redesign is slightly more modren but reeks of the last century still. Less vile chemical green but.
                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 17-01-2019, 19:43.

Comment

God knows what's the real story re the Coombe and refusal of an abortion to a patient carrying a foetus with a fatal abnormality. I don't trust Coppinger and Collins Permanent Outrage Trots in the slightest, and the Coombe has already said they wouldn't carry out terminations before the infrastructure was in place. But surely they could have referred her elsewhere?

Comment

Shinners look fucked on that poll. Heads to roll if they have a bad Euro Elections in the Dirty South?

Comment

Maybe the fact that the DUP are busy fucking up both countries and they're sitting on there hands over a 100 year old principle is pissing people off.

Comment

I agree with the provos that the terms of the GFA require a language act, (and folk that come out in an Orange rash at the thought of Irish on road signs or whatever can fuck off) but yeah, it's a bit pish considering the bigger picture.

Mary Lou must sometimes wish she stayed with the unarmed gombeens.
                                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 17-01-2019, 21:26.

Comment

This Galway city of culture thing is going well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            Shinners look fucked on that poll. Heads to roll if they have a bad Euro Elections in the Dirty South?
                                            Given the Euro constituencies are four seaters (some five seaters if the UK leaves on schedule), they would have to completely collapse (<10%) to lose those seats.

Comment

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1087362582128873472

Is this stuff gangland-related, or something more sinister?

Comment

That's Derry city's ground the Brandywell in the background fact fans.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  Is this stuff gangland-related, or something more sinister?
                                                  Ordinary Decent Crime. Lovable rogues, only hurt their own etc etc

Brandywell may get games in Euro '23 u-21 if the joint Irish bid wins

Comment

Today is the centenary of the first Dáil, and arguably of ​​​​​​de facto independence, even if the legal recognition had to wait until the Treaty.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X